Learn BaseCamp in one day

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Thanks for sharing this Ed. As a 'born again' this is an area of expertise that didn't exist during my former incarnation. I will let you all know how it goes.
Dennis

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thanks, Ed for all your efforts. You obviously put a lot of time into this (and other things motorcycle related). It's time I migrated to BaseCamp, and your tutorial is very helpful.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
This looks really good. Thank you, Ed. I've picked up bits of BaseCamp on my own but your document looks like it will bring it all together.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have used this agenda to teach a number of BaseCamp haters to use the program in a few hours. They like the program now. I have completed the PC agenda and am currently working on the Mac agenda: http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm
Thank you Ed. I'd given up on BaseCamp because of another post directing us to alternatives. I looked at the Mac version and will try BC again. Is the Mac version close enough to the PC version that I can read the PC one for hints on how to do something?

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Thanks for sharing this Ed. As a 'born again' this is an area of expertise that didn't exist during my former incarnation. I will let you all know how it goes.
Dennis
My pleasure

Thanks, Ed for all your efforts. You obviously put a lot of time into this (and other things motorcycle related). It's time I migrated to BaseCamp, and your tutorial is very helpful.
I think that you will like it.

This looks really good. Thank you, Ed. I've picked up bits of BaseCamp on my own but your document looks like it will bring it all together.
I think that it is a great document.

Thank you Ed. I'd given up on BaseCamp because of another post directing us to alternatives. I looked at the Mac version and will try BC again. Is the Mac version close enough to the PC version that I can read the PC one for hints on how to do something?
They are quite a bit different. You can certainly pick up a lot from the Maqc agenda that I posted. It will be a lot better once I can make it Mac specific.

Bike
'06 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Good stuff. I've struggled a bit with Basecamp after moving to it for my Zumo. This really helps. Thank you!

Bill F
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Once I got started I made it to page 10 where it became clear that my inability to update North American maps on my computer (step 3 page 3 from Garmin) will limit any further mapping I do to major highways. A bit frustrating trying to find some references in basecamp at first but with perseverance it eventually fell into place. I am using a Zumo 550 (which will not be the norm) so the experience of others may be different. I have joined the Zumoforum as suggested elsewhere and will try to troubleshoot my cpu map update there.
Dennis

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Once I got started I made it to page 10 where it became clear that my inability to update North American maps on my computer (step 3 page 3 from Garmin) will limit any further mapping I do to major highways. A bit frustrating trying to find some references in basecamp at first but with perseverance it eventually fell into place. I am using a Zumo 550 (which will not be the norm) so the experience of others may be different. I have joined the Zumoforum as suggested elsewhere and will try to troubleshoot my cpu map update there.
Dennis
You have only the Basemap in BaseCamp, but full map on the 550?

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
You have only the Basemap in BaseCamp, but full map on the 550?
Hi Ed, in basecamp something called 'Map Product Manager' lists 3 maps under the 'map product information' tab. The first map listed is 'City Navigator North America NT 2015.4' version '18.40' status is 'locked' location is c;\program data\garmin\maps .... etc. There is an option to Unlock online in a button on the right of that page. When I click that button it takes me to 'Garmin unlock maps' internet page where I click a 'find device' button. Even though my zumo is connected and showing the computer interface icon on the screen it is not detected and nothing happens, just says 'looking for connected devices' forever. A Zumoforums post suggested that with my versions I should be able to to simply connect my Zumo and open basecamp and discovery and map transfer would be automatic but I get no love there. Have now been at this all weekend (a couple of 3+ hour long downloads allowed me to get out of the house). I can see how many users would give up in frustration.
map product manager picture.gif

EUREKA! Was able to unlock from 'mygarmin' so I should be able to move forward without impediment.
Thanks for putting the tutorial together Ed.

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hey Ed . . . thanks for all this work. I just took a quick skim of your Mac version and it looks great. I look forward to working through it in detail in a few days.

Shuey

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Hi Ed, in basecamp something called 'Map Product Manager' lists 3 maps under the 'map product information' tab. The first map listed is 'City Navigator North America NT 2015.4' version '18.40' status is 'locked' location is c;\program data\garmin\maps .... etc. There is an option to Unlock online in a button on the right of that page. When I click that button it takes me to 'Garmin unlock maps' internet page where I click a 'find device' button. Even though my zumo is connected and showing the computer interface icon on the screen it is not detected and nothing happens, just says 'looking for connected devices' forever. A Zumoforums post suggested that with my versions I should be able to to simply connect my Zumo and open basecamp and discovery and map transfer would be automatic but I get no love there. Have now been at this all weekend (a couple of 3+ hour long downloads allowed me to get out of the house). I can see how many users would give up in frustration.
map product manager picture.gif

EUREKA! Was able to unlock from 'mygarmin' so I should be able to move forward without impediment.
Thanks for putting the tutorial together Ed.
Iam glad that you got it!

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Hey Ed . . . thanks for all this work. I just took a quick skim of your Mac version and it looks great. I look forward to working through it in detail in a few days.

Shuey
Keep in mind that the Mac version is a work in progress. I do not have a Mac so I started with the PC version and I have started making changes. I will visit my brother who has a Mac soon and then I will completely redo it. You should still get a lot out of it.

OP
OP
epconde

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Many thanks for this - a first glance and it looks to be very well presented. I have to admit that I am a basecamp hater. I have tried over and over to get to like it without success. Its not that I can't use it - I can (probably not very well though). Its not because I am new to satnavs or mapping, or unfamiliar with computers - neither of those statements could be further from the truth. But it is because it seems to want to store everything in one big database, the searching for locations seems poor by MapSource's standards and it seems to prefer that the SatNav is plugged in all of the time - which is a pain when I want to plan my routes while my wife is using the satnav in the car !

Doubtless there are ways around all of these little foibles, but I really find it all counter-intuitive, so a decent, proven guide may be just what is required. I have downloaded the pdf, and will use it with renewed determination and look forward to being converted !
Very easily fixed. Check out the agenda.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I've never had too much trouble with Basecamp, but Garmin is adding complexity and tools faster than I use it - this is a great resource and I had a lot of fun working through your syllabus!

Top Bottom