What have you hit with your bike..??

I commute, and have had too many near misses to count.

I hit something in the road one time, on my PC800. I was running late for work, and riding into the sun, going too fast. I saw a glint of sunlight off something metallic, as I hit it and caught what felt like two feet of air. I landed it hard enough to bottom out, but everything was fine. Woke me up though.

Later that year, while riding through town on the same PC800, a woman in a Town Car took a left turn in front of me. I stuck the bike right into the front fender, just ahead of the right front wheel. I hung on, ripping skin off my hands, but ended up landing on my feet. The bike was totaled; parts flew everywhere. It sucked.

In 2005, I was riding my '98 Shadow Aero 1100 at 75 mph down the interstate in heavy traffic during broad daylight, and a deer jumped directly in front of me. I cut the deer in half, got sprayed with deer guts and bike parts, but thankfully did not go down. The deer carcass crushed my right foot controls, and I took a chunk of wind deflector in my right arm, so I was not able to use either brake. The front wheel made a horrible whining sound, from the fender being crushed into it, and I thought it would lock up at any moment, sending me over the handlebars and to certain death. I squeezed the tank with my legs, held on with my good arm, and basically waited to die. Worst 20 seconds of my life, relived in my nightmares for years after the fact.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I hit 34k on the 06 and a new top speed on Darth......130.....with the trunk on....no weave! Solid as a rock!

ToddC

PS. And one small Tweety bird.........

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
Congrats on the mileSTone for '06, Todd. I have traveled at 130 MPH on my ST1300 with a Givi 55 trunk (closed course, of course) and never experienced the so-called "pan weave." I suspect that phenomena has more to do with the added weight of the ST1300P bikes than the addition of a trunk, but that's just my subjective opinion.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Congrats on the mileSTone for '06, Todd. I have traveled at 130 MPH on my ST1300 with a Givi 55 trunk (closed course, of course) and never experienced the so-called "pan weave." I suspect that phenomena has more to do with the added weight of the ST1300P bikes than the addition of a trunk, but that's just my subjective opinion.
It was a good day! Thanks

T

Bike
2000 ST1100
How does my tool cabinet and garage wall count as strange? I had been working on my K100RT and revving the motor with the clutch in...the cable broke...at high RPM...in first gear...and now for the rest of the story: The bike lifted the front, smoked the rear tire, hit the tool cabinet, rode up ad hit the wall next to it. The bike tipped over on me, still running. I got to the kill switch with my left foot and shut it down. Unhurt (relatively), I lay there giggling and hoping that it being a mid day Tuesday, none of the neighbors saw this act of idiocy. I was not so lucky. THE nosey neighbor lady was running up the driveway nearly in a panic yelling "I'll call 911".

I crawled out from under the bike, sobered up and convinced her that 911 was unnecessary because I was OK. It was a few minutes after she left that I realized I had a problem: How to right a bike that had its front wheel on top of a tool box, was laying on it's side, and leaking gas. But this is a thread about what we've hit, not about how we righted a tipped bike. That story for another time.
Jim

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, that's some story Jim. Surely you've got some pics?

Bike
Pan 1300A
I did take a door off a car when it opened in front of me on the Embankment in London on my 1952/4 Ariel in the seventies... I also clobbered my wife's car when I pulled up on wet grass next to it...the dent is still there the Triumph that did it was sold to fund the Pan!!!!!!

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Just re-read these posts. Wow! Lots of good ones. Do any of our new members have any stories????

ToddC

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I have done in two birds, a snake, several turtles and one enormous moth with bikes. None were intentional.
One bird flew up behind my face shield and almost caught my left eye. No traffic was light so I was able to stop and remove it. Just some scratches but the bird didn't fare so well.
I killed Mothra just after midnight on a country road in east Texas. Caught it dead center of the face shield. The thing was so big that bug goo covered it to the point I had to cock my head back to see where I was going. Stopped at a closed gas station and cleaned the helmet (same one as with the bird strike). The moth wings covered half the face shield. This was my last open faced helmet.
Most spectacular was years back on a Louisiana country road in my 1972 VW. I struck a very large herd of chickens (yes, as they crossed the road) after a blind curve. Must have hit all of them. The air behind the car looked like a feather bed/grenade accident.
Overall I have been lucky.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Most spectacular was years back on a Louisiana country road in my 1972 VW. I struck a very large herd of chickens (yes, as they crossed the road) after a blind curve. Must have hit all of them. The air behind the car looked like a feather bed/grenade accident.
I did that with my tandem bicycle on a back road in southern Ohio 20 years ago, but it was just the one bird I hit. Your description of a grenade in a feather bed is very accurate. And nobody will EVER know why that chicken tried to cross the road, after first making a break for safety in the proper direction then reversing herself. Took me a week to finish picking feathers out of the chains and gears. Fortunately we did not go down; we were doing close to 35 mph at the point of impact.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
How about an I don't know! Hit something while changing lanes in traffic(head turned looking over shoulder). ST jumped up then I hear a clanging sound. I'm thinking "crap something broke the case the engines out of oil and the rods are knocking". Well it turned out the centerstand spring was missing and the loop that holds the spring was broken open . Tied it up with bungee cords and motored on!

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Thank you ATGATT!
Many years ago, riding a Nighthawk from Prescott to Phoenix. I was beebopping along around 60MPH when it suddenly looked like someone threw a handful of rocks in front of me. It was a swarm of bees. I hit them all. I had stunned bees all over my legs, jacket, gloves and helmet. A few stunned bees had also found themselves on the INSIDE of my full face visor.
Not knowing what to do, and certainly not wanting to pull over with bees all over me, I pinned opened the throttle. Most of them eventually got sucked off. Then I hit the brakes hard, pulled over, slid off my helmet and very gently coaxed the remaining bees out.
I was very lucky to not get stung. My Dad was a beekeeper so I'm kinda fond of the little guys.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Here's one I guilty about. Sorry, it's a car story. Many years ago my wife and I were in California for an anniversary trip. We were visiting the beach in a rented Ford Focus. Me being the mature one that I am, I was having fun scaring the birds in a vacant parking lot at the beach.
I happened upon a flock of roughly 25 seagulls standing there looking dumb and thought it would be fun to drive through them to make them all fly away.
Dumb seagulls. I was only going about 15MPH. None of them flew away. They didn't even try to move. :eek::(

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Driving in Nova Scotia sometime around 1978. 2 vehicles ahead was a pickup truck full of household effects. Driving at highway speeds a pillow flies out of the pickup and explodes in a cloud of feathers when struck by the car in front of me. Immediately I drive into a white wall. No time to react at all, I suck in a half breath and emerge. holding my breath as if from a mirage.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Here's one I guilty about. Sorry, it's a car story. Many years ago my wife and I were in California for an anniversary trip. We were visiting the beach in a rented Ford Focus. Me being the mature one that I am, I was having fun scaring the birds in a vacant parking lot at the beach.
I happened upon a flock of roughly 25 seagulls standing there looking dumb and thought it would be fun to drive through them to make them all fly away.
Dumb seagulls. I was only going about 15MPH. None of them flew away. They didn't even try to move. :eek::(
So......you are what happened to a "Flock of Seagulls"!!!! :)

ToddC

Bike
2010 ST/2002 GL1800
About 13 or 14 Years ago (84 Aspencade) A large Yellow Lab thought it would be fun to chase a group of us. 7 bikes in the VA hills on a beautiful sunny day, chased down the lead bike and changed his mind, circled back and made a run at me (5th bike), did not change his mind as he went for my right foot (45mph) on a narrow 2 lane stretch on a bend in the road and caught my highway peg in the jaw, 6th bike just missed him to his left and then the dog jumped back to the right track of the lane where the 7th bike hit him square.
1989 Goldwing (stayed up somehow) rotor cover ripped off and blew out the fork seal. Dog did not make it, I will leave out the details, my buddy was really shook up. It took him an hour before he considered getting back on the bike. Emotional moment for all.

Bike
ST1300
one squirrel, he heard me coming - i told him to move - we both went the wrong way.....

Top Bottom