What have you hit with your bike..??

Bike
2010 ST1300
I haven't hit anything with my ST1300 (yet,) but about 33 years ago while riding my GS850G on a dark and lonely stretch of central Ontario Hwy 7, I was being tailgated by some mouth-breather in a pickup. He just wouldn't lay off and there was no hard shoulder for a pull-off (besides, I didn't really want to have an altercation out there in the middle of nowhere) so I just kept going. After a while he zoomed past me, cut in very tight in front of me and hit his brakes - I thought to annoy me - but in fact, he had struck a big dog on the road. He slowed for a moment and then kept going - leaving the dog stretched out right across the lane I was in. Because the truck was so close in front of me, I immediately ran the pooch over myself. The big Suzi reared up and then came back down - wiggled twice and then carried on as if nothing had happened. I turned around and went back and the poor old soul was just sighing his last. A nice big German Shepherd...somebodies loyal friend I am sure. I dragged the body off the road, made certain he was dead and then left him. I hope his owner found him. That Suzuki was a tank.

At some other points on the Suzuki, I hit a fox, a bunch of squirrels, a cat or two and a couple of birds - all without major damage, but the worst thing was a fairly small bird that came zooming in over top of my Hannigan fairing and hit me - right on the sternum (the chest bone where your ribs come together). That little so-and-so nearly knocked me off the bike. I got it stopped and took a few minutes to catch my breath and then the next day I was black and blue from chest to belly-button - and I swear I can still feel a tender spot where he got me 30+ years ago. Good thing the little bugger flopped down onto my tank-bag and died as I pulled off the road. The other bad one was a time up north of Lake Superior all alone on my Yamaha XS650B when I nailed a June bug (a type of big hard-shelled flying beetle - about an inch in diameter). He somehow got me on the forehead just above my sunglasses and just below the rim of my helmet. There was sticky yellow-coloured mung everywhere and I wound up with two black eyes the next day (as a result I spent about a week saying "you should see the other guy").

Coincidentally, that is just about the time I went from the shortie to a full-face.....:eek::
My father in law took a starling to the front of his helmet while riding his new Honda interstate back in 1980ish. He knows it was a starling because he looked back. Then the road curved and he totaled the bike and his left elbow. His elbow is a permanent 90 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Only ever hit one thing that I can recall,,, and it was with my ST13, on it's first ride of any length. An empty metal bucket with a handle and a good deal of taper from top to bottom was rolling around on the road like it had a demon mind of it's own !! Wind from other vehicles kept it spinning,,, and I tried to kick it away, as it zeroed in on us. But I missed,, and it left only some white paint marks on the lower tupperware. I am lucky it did not hook onto the bike or my foot !! whew,,,, Cat'

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK - I think that Steve wins.

All I did was finish off a dog, some squirrels and cats, a fox, a bird or three (most of which I won) and a bug (albeit a bloody big bug - but this IS Canada afterall) - but Steve398, well, he finished off a Norton, an Anglia and his.....well, errrr....ummmm. His other equipment.

Dang!

Bike
2010 ST1300

All I did was finish off a dog, some squirrels and cats, a fox, a bird or three (most of which I won) and a bug (albeit a bloody big bug - but this IS Canada afterall) - but Steve398, well, he finished off a Norton, an Anglia and his.....well, errrr....ummmm. His other equipment.

Dang!
ROARING LOL

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC

Dang!
Thank you... (bowing) I'd like to say it's a pleasure, but... Anyway, here's a newspaper report of the incident -

You can even see where the tank used to be...... BTW, I strongly dispute being 'comfortable'!

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Indeed - "comfortable" is a little bit of a stretch I suspect. Perhaps "sedated" or "writhing in agony" would be more apt descriptions....

I wonder what your PC colleague was saying as he leant over the smashed bike in the photo...."Oh look guys, here is some of Steve's.....errrr,..ummmm,...equipment...all tangled up with the wiring on this Norton." :eek:

OK - enough of this levity at Steve's expense. I'm sure we can all agree that bashing into something....anything, on a motorcycle is not fun in any way, and we're all just glad that you're here to tell the tale Steve.

Steve398

... another retired Black Rat.
Bike
2018 BMW R1200RT LC
Thank you kindly.

If there was a good side to this, it obliged the Police Authority to move the radio to the back of the bike to avoid similar injuries. There were certainly lots of other Police riders muttering "Oooooch!" when they saw the photos.... It was also the last accident that I ever had (so far), perhaps on the basis that it was so damn painful I didn't want to repeat it!

I post earlier that I was hit by a 98 Green Ford Explorer. The driver wanted to pay out of pocket rather than use insurance. She met me Sunday to finally pay the remainder of what she owed. As I was suiting back up to ride home she was telling her friends in her crazy black woman voice "he was doin like 90 miles an hour" and "it was probably his fault." I just laughed. Had I been going 90 she never would have hit me and had she I would not be posting on any forum.
LOL. Wow. I swear thats more common than you think. I always hear about car accident stories where they're never at fault.
I had a car pull out in front of me at low speed and i laid the bike down. Not too much damage but my pride. I had a cheap jacket on that saved my elbows... but the jacket ( https://www.motorcyclehouse.com/mens-mesh-motorcycle-jackets ) was trashed at 10mph.. gg

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Tonight I had a motorcycling first, I rode over a fallen down city lightpost. Came upon an accident where one of the cars knocked down a lightpost and it was crossing both lanes of traffic. Weaved up to the front of the traffic jam, rode over the lightpost, and continued on my way.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
A raccoon on US129 near the Tennessee/North Carolina boarder in 1995 with a Ducati 916.

I just missed the dead critter with my front tire mid-corner but clipped it with the fatter back. The raccoon was flipped up and spun in the air. My buddy, Steve G., was following me with a Yamaha GTS1000 and later laughingly described his almost-poo'ed-my-paints moment. From his point of view, I passed the 'coon and it jumped 5 feet into the air, spun around with claws extended and teeth barred in attack mode. He just missed having it land in his lap and had to get his heart restarted and mind back on cornering in time to avoid riding straight off into the ditch.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
OK - dwalby gets a prize too - hitting a lamp post that was horizontal rather than vertical is pretty good (especially since he got away with it). Hmmmm - maybe he didn't really HIT it - just sort of clambered over it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
OK - dwalby gets a prize too - hitting a lamp post that was horizontal rather than vertical is pretty good (especially since he got away with it). Hmmmm - maybe he didn't really HIT it - just sort of clambered over it.
yeah, hit wouldn't be the correct term, but this thread was close enough that it seemed like this would be the appropriate thread. I rode over it, but at a slow enough speed that it wasn't a surprise to see it in the road.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
A raccoon on US129 near the Tennessee/North Carolina boarder in 1995 with a Ducati 916.

I just missed the dead critter with my front tire mid-corner but clipped it with the fatter back. The raccoon was flipped up and spun in the air. My buddy, Steve G., was following me with a Yamaha GTS1000 and later laughingly described his almost-poo'ed-my-paints moment. From his point of view, I passed the 'coon and it jumped 5 feet into the air, spun around with claws extended and teeth barred in attack mode. He just missed having it land in his lap and had to get his heart restarted and mind back on cornering in time to avoid riding straight off into the ditch.
I had this happen to me with a squirrel that my buddy launched 10 ft into the air just in front of me. It was trying to cross the road until he rode over it, but when it launched up and over me all I could think of was the rabbit from the Monty Python movie that jumps up and bites people's heads off. It probably took 2 miles for me to stop laughing out loud.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
I had this happen to me with a squirrel that my buddy launched 10 ft into the air just in front of me. It was trying to cross the road until he rode over it, but when it launched up and over me all I could think of was the rabbit from the Monty Python movie that jumps up and bites people's heads off. It probably took 2 miles for me to stop laughing out loud.
That's no ordinary squirrel! It's got grrreat, long, pointy teeth! Look at the bones, man!! :D

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I can't recall if it was Peter Egan himself, or someone he knew who said the scariest thing they ever ran over on the road was a still moving sheet of plywood fallen off a truck.

I hit another bird on the ride into work several weeks back. I think it was a dove. It looked like a bit of trash in the road, and I dodged to the side to avoid it, and it took flight and smacked me in the shoulder.
Soft enough hit, it flew off, so no blood spot like that Finch I got in the chest at 70mph.
Certainly not as painful as kicking that armadillo.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I can't recall if it was Peter Egan himself, or someone he knew who said the scariest thing they ever ran over on the road was a still moving sheet of plywood fallen off a truck.

I hit another bird on the ride into work several weeks back. I think it was a dove. It looked like a bit of trash in the road, and I dodged to the side to avoid it, and it took flight and smacked me in the shoulder.
Soft enough hit, it flew off, so no blood spot like that Finch I got in the chest at 70mph.
Certainly not as painful as kicking that armadillo.
Wast that finch carrying a coconut?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
An African or European swallow?

Top Bottom