Best New Old Stock Buy?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Just for reference, I bought my '04 ABS in July of '05 used with 2,700 miles on it for $10,998. At $10,500, it's a steal for a 2012. What are waiting for?

Bike
ST1100Y (2000)
STOC #
You guys do not know how lucky you are. The ST1300 are still being sold as new on this side of the pond at....... ?14,500. Or approx $21,750. I would give my right arm to get my hands on a new one for the equivalent of ?9,600.

OP
OP
jhn_plsn
Just for reference, I bought my '04 ABS in July of '05 used with 2,700 miles on it for $10,998. At $10,500, it's a steal for a 2012. What are waiting for?
Trust me I am driving the wife and one adult child still living at home a bit nuts, but refuse to pull the trigger until other matters are dealt with first.

Funny how the wife all of a sudden likes the looks of the Goldwing with the armrests. She would likely ride with me once or twice a year so I don't think a Goldwing will be in the family. I did sit on a used one and I swear I was so comfy I think I could watch a day of football from it without any discomfort.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Trust me I am driving the wife and one adult child still living at home a bit nuts, but refuse to pull the trigger until other matters are dealt with first.

Funny how the wife all of a sudden likes the looks of the Goldwing with the armrests. She would likely ride with me once or twice a year so I don't think a Goldwing will be in the family. I did sit on a used one and I swear I was so comfy I think I could watch a day of football from it without any discomfort.

I get it. I came off of an '81 GoldWing Interstate and a new wing was in the mix prior to purchase. Since I never ride two up, the ST was my choice. Ironically my ST was traded for a new wing because the wife of the prior owner did not feel comfortable without a backrest which could have been solved with either a top box or aftermarket backrest.

Good luck!

OP
OP
jhn_plsn
I get it. I came off of an '81 GoldWing Interstate and a new wing was in the mix prior to purchase. Since I never ride two up, the ST was my choice. Ironically my ST was traded for a new wing because the wife of the prior owner did not feel comfortable without a backrest which could have been solved with either a top box or aftermarket backrest.

Good luck!
Adding the topbox and suspension upgrade would have to be near the top of my list of upgrades as my wife and I exceed the load limit by way to much.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are deals out there on 2012 ST1300s. I waited until I saw one on the West Coast for under $12,000. Yeah, I had to travel 1,280 miles to go get it, but it was worth it. Just for reference, I had a dealer near Portland tell Justin and I, he would have sold us one for $500 less than what I paid, but both Justin and I felt that was great, but since he didn't advertise, how were we supposed to know? If anyone in the Portland area wants a good deal on one (and if they still have it) PM me.

My 2012 had been out of the crate for 1.5 years. It had 16 miles on it when I picked it up. I can live with that!

As for bringing ST1300s into CA, No problem, DMV didn't give me any grief at all!

OP
OP
jhn_plsn
There are deals out there on 2012 ST1300s. I waited until I saw one on the West Coast for under $12,000. Yeah, I had to travel 1,280 miles to go get it, but it was worth it. Just for reference, I had a dealer near Portland tell Justin and I, he would have sold us one for $500 less than what I paid, but both Justin and I felt that was great, but since he didn't advertise, how were we supposed to know? If anyone in the Portland area wants a good deal on one (and if they still have it) PM me.

My 2012 had been out of the crate for 1.5 years. It had 16 miles on it when I picked it up. I can live with that!

As for bringing ST1300s into CA, No problem, DMV didn't give me any grief at all!
Thanks Bob,

I am torn a bit currently between cash for a used bike or waiting 6 months to be allowed to finance after I come out from under a trustees and judges thumb. If I could incur debt the amount would not be much and a fly and ride sure sounds good. I just wish I could ride back with a friend or two. I would prefer a newer bike and I am warming toward the black bikes, but still prefer the blue streak or red rush.

Can you tell that I am a bit stir crazy? Being house bound and having nothing but staycations over the last 7 years makes for one crazy caged man, and woman for that matter.

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #
Fyi I just found a new 2012 abs st1300 black in color for $10200 brand new out the door price in Washington MO at JW cycles. Phone 1 877 564 5794. I know nothing about the dealer just found it on cycletrader. I don't even know if they still have it
BTW, that unit is long gone. That dealer is selling his dealership and has been liquidating any bikes that the new dealer doesn't want, which included that 2012 ST1300.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm confused. So no new STs have been shipped to the U.S. since 2012? Honda still making them or is that line shut down?
Here in the US for 2014/2015, the only ST1300s you could get were the P models. In the UK, someone on the forum bought a new 2014 or 2015 (non-P) model (can't remember)... No clue if they still are now though.

In the US, go to Cycletrader, You can find a number of 2012s still for sale. And like the dealer Justin & I ran into near Portland, obviously still had one, although I didn't see it.

I only paid CA Sales Tax (to CA DMV), no Washington State taxes, except for a $30 fee for a three day pass to ride it on the streets.

Last edited:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
If you buy from out of state you'll pay the sales tax on the new-never-been-registered bike... Well that is how it worked here in AZ.

I'd do a fly-n-ride to get an ABS bike if the local ones are not ABS...
Mark, I bought my USED Vstrom from Texas with no sales tax registered in Arizona. Sales tax only applies to DEALER purchases and not private sales. That saved me $400 and paid (mostly) for the fly & ride :) BTW, I'm in Gilbert now...

Top Bottom