Grasshoper ST1300 Drivers Backrest Question?

Bike
2007 st1300 silver
Has anyone bought a drivers backrest made by grasshopper sells on ebay for $85.00 and $10.00 to ship. Do you like it and does it work well.

Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Re: ST1300 DRIVERS BACKREST QUESTION???????

I purchased mine directly from Grasshopper and really enjoy having it, great addition. As said very easy to mount.

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300

I bought one at the recommendation of another ST owner. It is very easy to install and appears to be well made. It is also easy to remove if you don't want it mounted all the time. I keep mine mounted at all times. However, the ST's slightly forward-leaning seating position means I am not usually leaning back onto the backrest. If I had highway pegs or some similar device I would be positioned up against the backrest more of the time. Without such pegs, only when I am sitting up straight and taking a rest from the usual seating position do I feel myself being supported by the backrest. At those times it feels great and I am glad to have it.

An additional benefit: Passengers have reported that they feel much more secure when the backrest is installed as it clearly defines the passenger seating space and eliminates the possibility of sliding into the rider. IMHO this is a low-cost accessory that is well worth the purchase price.

One more thing: The backrest is a great place to set the helmet when not in use so it won't fall of the seat (again and again and....).

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles

I like mine too. You will like it's small size cause you can easily get your leg over it. A larger back rest would be a pain to get over when hopping on and off the bike. If you are short stand up on the peg helps. This backrest provides just the right amount of lumbar support for long rides! best $90 spent!

If you get your seat level ( a mod found in another posting ) [ use the middle or highest setting in the front then bend the back two loops backwards to a lower setting.] You will not have that sliding forward problem.

Bike
2015 FJR1300A

Grasshopper is AXE63. answered my own question :)

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

Hi All: I just had a look and it looks like a worthwhile product but I have two questions:

1) The website refers to an option called "Studded" - what does that mean - any photos?

2) The website also refers to a "Pocket" - again, are there any photos of this option?

Cheers,

Pete

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300

If you get your seat level ( a mod found in another posting ) [ use the middle or highest setting in the front then bend the back two loops backwards to a lower setting.] You will not have that sliding forward problem.
Whaaaaaat? I never thought of that. That's brilliant!!! Simple and free.

Thank you, Spidey!

motofisch

(Scott)
Bike
2006 ST1300

Hi All: I just had a look and it looks like a worthwhile product but I have two questions:

1) The website refers to an option called "Studded" - what does that mean - any photos?

2) The website also refers to a "Pocket" - again, are there any photos of this option?

Cheers,

Pete
The "pocket" refers to a small pocket sewn into the rear of the backrest (facing the passenger). It is SMALL - perhaps large enough to slip in a passport or something of that size so long as it wasn't much thicker. I opted to order the backrest without studs or pocket.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #

The "pocket" refers to a small pocket sewn into the rear of the backrest (facing the passenger). It is SMALL - perhaps large enough to slip in a passport or something of that size so long as it wasn't much thicker. I opted to order the backrest without studs or pocket.
Okey doke - many thanks.

Pete

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

Made my own bracket and attachment to frame, used JC Whitney pad vinyl cover & replaced their recycled hard foam with memory foam pillow chunk.

IMG_2035 C.jpg

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #

I've had mine installed since 2010. Love it! Never even took it off after it was installed. Just don't be misguided in your thoughts. It is pretty short but I feel it does what it's supposed to. It adds another option for moving and stretching. I would say the biggest issue for me (which is not even an issue yet) is that if you typically mount your ride by throwing a leg over it, it can add some difficulty. You can always just slide your foot and leg across the front seat or throw it up and over the backrest. Just food for thought.

Skip

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

If you are short stand up on the peg helps.
It also helps if you do ballet like Capt. Crashe's pillion. (You had to see the video.)

It is also easy to remove if you don't want it mounted all the time.
I was hoping that would be the case after reading the site's instructions. Having a Helibar riser I'd get a lot of use on a long haul.

One more thing: The backrest is a great place to set the helmet when not in use so it won't fall of the seat (again and again and....).
This is worth at least half the purchase price of the Grasshopper.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I took the helmet holders off one of those license plate helmet holders and installed them under the tail trunk ( similar to and as handy as the GoldWing's )

IMG_2036 cr.jpg

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
St. Lark Hr.jpgPatiently waiting for my backrest from Grasshopper, after reading the reviews here. Ordered it on e bay July 27. Estimated date of delivery Aug 4-11 to Newfoundland, Canada. Now searching for used MCL highway blades to fit my 04 ST.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Received my backrest from Grasshopper Aug 10 to Newfoundland, Canada. Ordered July 27 on e bay. Paid $82.00 US dollars for it, $40 USD shipping, then customs charge of $30.00 depsite coming USPS.... grrrrrrr

Overall cost me almost $200 Canadian dollars. Disturbing to see others in US paying $90, but that is what I get for living on a beautiful island in the middle of the North Atlantic.
First impression is that it is great. If it prevents me from having one day of back pain, then it is well worth the $200. My wife also says it makes her feel more secure, no issues getting on or off for either of us. Matches original seat great.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Received my backrest from Grasshopper Aug 10 to Newfoundland, Canada. Ordered July 27 on e bay. Paid $82.00 US dollars for it, $40 USD shipping, then customs charge of $30.00 depsite coming USPS.... grrrrrrr

Overall cost me almost $200 Canadian dollars. Disturbing to see others in US paying $90, but that is what I get for living on a beautiful island in the middle of the North Atlantic.
First impression is that it is great. If it prevents me from having one day of back pain, then it is well worth the $200. My wife also says it makes her feel more secure, no issues getting on or off for either of us. Matches original seat great.
So Rob. Are you loving it or hating it. I want to buy one also and your remarks will nail the deal.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 St1300
I have a Top Sellerie seat on my bike and I am wondering if I would be able to mount it. If anyone has pictures of how it bolts on I would appreciate it.

Thanks Joe

Top Bottom