Grasshoper ST1300 Drivers Backrest Question?

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Hondafarian......My grasshopper back rest went on well and the two seats still separate quite easily. There is a bit more friction when trying to remove one seat, but nothing to worry about.
Try taking some pictures of your situation so we can hopefully see any differences.

Well, you asked for it.

Curious to hear other backrest owners thoughts on this.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Looks like the same assembly that I have. I've included a few pictures of mine. I have an RDL seat and I have a gap between the two seats and a little flex on the main seat with the grasshopper backrest installed for some reason. I removed mine quite easily just now.
Not sure what the differences are. I was initially thinking you may have installed the back rest bracket on the outside rather than inside of the seat bracket, but yours look the same.....not sure.
My rear seat doesn't remove as easily as St-traveler, but does come apart easy.

Just thought of something.....What setting do you have your main seat on? Mine is at the middle. A max high or min low position may be contributing to less room when trying to remove?

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
Curious to hear other backrest owners thoughts on this.
After looking at your video - I don't think you have the front seat set properly - which is giving you problems with your back seat.
Check and make sure you have the front properly installed. There should be a gap between the seats, and I don't see on one on yours.
You should have a gap between your seats like in the photo below. I didn't see that on yours it fit very tightly together.. Maybe I am seeing things??

Attachments

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well, you asked for it.
Hey nice vid! So you had to loosen the two bolts to separate the seats even though they were off the bike. How much was "completely" to loosen the bolts? If it wasn't too much I wonder if a couple washers on each bolt between the bracket and the seat would give a little less bite on the "tongue" of the pillion seat. Maybe some relief with a sharp knife or dremel-like tool to reshape some sticky part of the tongue?

The two seats didn't snug up properly causing the assembly not to seat and engage the rear clasp properly. When you pushed the rear seat forward with some concerted effort everything snugged up. So something seems to be binding at the very last point.

Maybe look for some new wear on the pillion tongue? Not the tongue of a pillion. That would be creepy.

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Just thought of something.....What setting do you have your main seat on? Mine is at the middle. A max high or min low position may be contributing to less room when trying to remove?
Thanks for all your thoughts on this everyone. Kev, I think you're on to something. I gotta keep the seat adjuster in the upper most setting causa dem long legs. When I put it in the middle or lowest setting, the separation was tight but possible. I noticed as the settings go higher, it also pushes the front seat back and tighter against the rear seat. There is a noticeable gap change between the seats in the three settings, as ST-traveler noticed.

It just seems this backrest doesn't work well when the seat height adjuster is in the highest setting. Which setting are you guys using? Further, the backrest itself takes up almost 3 1/2" of valuable space over the rear of the driver's seat and that's where I need to sit to not have my knees uncomfortably jammed against the fairing. At 6'3" I'm tall but not NBA tall. It just seems this product isn't made for someone of my height. That's what I get for eating Wheaties as a kid. :rofl1:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
You must have long arms too. :) I sit just in front of the back rest normally and only feel it when I relax and slide back a little.
I have my seat in the middle position but should be in the lower position because I only touch the pavement with the balls of my feet when stopped, but my legs and hips feel better sitting a tad higher.
I would either try to lubricate the protruding plastic portion of the back seat or use a dremel and slightly shave it down a little. That should make it separate far easier.
Good luck.....

Bike
ST1300
Hondafarian
Received my Grasshoper driver seat today. Fitted the bracket to the rear of the driver seat then fitted the front seat to the bike, no worries.
Went to fit the rear seat and it would not go as it had around another inch or more to go forward.
What i found was it will only fit if you put the front seat in the LOWER position and i ride in the HIGHER position.
Also the rear seat would not fit in the MIDDLE position.
So with a bit of detective work :think1:i found the problem.

With the new bracket fitted to the rear of the front seat, and the position set on HIGH, fit it on the bike as normal.
Now position the rear seat as far forward butting up to the rear of the front seat where the new bracket is.
You will find that the new backrest bracket at the rear of the front seat is hard up against the front plastic lip of the passenger seat unable to go any more forward.
What i did was with the rear seat still in the same position , mark on the front of the rear seat vinyl where the bracket is hitting .
Now take off the rear seat ,turn it upside down to where you marked the seat.
Take out about eight staples and as you do, mark the underlying plastic lip coressponding to the vinyl mark.
With a Dremmel tool i cut out a plastic piece 65mm x 12mm ( slightly bigger than the seat bracket ).

Now put the rear seat back on, you may have to work it a little but it should go on.
If it went on ok, take the rear seat off again and with a staple gun replace the staples.
You should be good to go.
On my bike i can get all three positions now, but only need it to be on the highest position.
I hope you understand all of the above, it worked for me.

Phantom
It just seems this backrest doesn't work well when the seat height adjuster is in the highest setting. Which setting are you guys using? Further, the backrest itself takes up almost 3 1/2" of valuable space over the rear of the driver's seat and that's where I need to sit to not have my knees uncomfortably jammed against the fairing. At 6'3" I'm tall but not NBA tall. It just seems this product isn't made for someone of my height. That's what I get for eating Wheaties as a kid. :rofl1:

Top Bottom