Sun Shields for GPS???

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: I went to a local industrial supply place this morning and sourced the correct o-ring for the 3D printed Garmin Zumo 660 GPS sunshield and it is a Parker P/N 155-OR which translates to a 4" dia. x 3/16" o-ring. They cost $3.56 but should live a lot longer than a bunch of rubber bands and they look neater too.

Cheers,

Pete

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I searched the local Dollar stores, and could not find the hard vinyl notebook, that UP mentioned. So, I reverted back to my original plan to make it out of some thin sheet metal I had laying around. (I cannot throw any metal away). I don't know if this is what I'll end up using or not. I'd still like to find the notebook material, just to compare.

Anyway, if I do this right, here are some pictures of the complete project, which includes the bracket and tray I also made.

Attachments

Bike
2015 FJR1300A
Yours looks FANTASTIC and has $0.00 new investment cost. I've made one out of the plastic Wal-Mart folders ( $.50 in school supply area)....doesn't compete with yours. NICE JOB !

Last edited:
OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Yours looks FANTASTIC and has $0.00 new investment cost. I've made one out of the plastic Wal-Mart folders ( $.50 in school supply area)....doesn't compete with yours. NICE JOB !
Thanks for the compliment. It actually turned out better than expected. I may do some modifying to it, as warrants.

STOC #
My new problem is my HiViz jacket reflection on the screen at times, when the sun is shining on my chest.
Good Luck[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem.. 99% of the reflection went away when I put something dark on my chest.. Ever notice that a lot of the newer jackets have big black chest panels? Hummmm
m

Bike
R1200rt
Go buy a plastic homework notebook and some industrial Velcro - sticky on one side. Cut one out to suit you with a pair scissors. Velcro to cradle and you're good!
why do all that work , I took an old plastic 3x5 index card box ($1.95 at Walmart) threw the top out, cut a hole in the back , cut one side away, a little Velcro and presto !!IMG_0883.jpgIMG_0882.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
why do all that work , I took an old plastic 3x5 index card box ($1.95 at Walmart) threw the top out, cut a hole in the back , cut one side away, a little Velcro and presto !!IMG_0883.jpgIMG_0882.jpg
Al - But I got two shades out of one folder and IIRC my folder was $.99. ;-) In reality, I wanted a 'longer' shade to play with to see what length worked best for my units. The Glarestomper was not long enough or effective for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
UP, are we talking about the same thing? I was at WM Friday night, and all I could see were vinyl cover 3 ring binders. There were some very flimsy plastic folders, but I'm sure that's not you have. I may have to go to a Staples to find what "I'm" thinking you used.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the somewhat 'flimsy' black plastic ones are the ones I use - a three ring homework binder IIRC. To make the creases you just score the vinyl a little bit and fold. I use regular scissors to cut them out. The Velcro keeps the thing in place. Cheap and effective! And you can make extras once you have the pattern you want and put them in your panniers just in case you do lose one. All you are after is to block the sun, so the black plastic ones work fine without a lot of effort. ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom