Sun Shields for GPS???

Bike
2005 Concours
Since I'm really new to this technology, I've been busy making mounts for the device. Now that I've got that accomplished, I've been having a lot of problems blocking out the reflection. So, my question is, what type of a sun shield are y'all using.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I've got a Garmin ZUMO 660 and there is a specially designed sunshield for it on-line which can be made in a 3D printer. Our local public library printed one up for me and several other ST Owners and it works great! I'm afraid I don't have the website but if you search it should come up quickly. The printer file is free and not particularly large and the fit on the Garmin is perfect.

The cost is minimal but the shield takes about 4 hours to print. It is held on by rubber bands (although Doboy has found the correct size o-ring to do that job and that will be better).

Pete

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I likeee. Looks like you need to clean your windscreen UP.

Thanks.
The cost is pretty cheap, especially if you have the Velcro on hand (maybe $1.98). Plus you can 'fiddle' with it till you get it just the right length. And I have reason to believe that with the good Velcro, the cover will remain attached at triple digit speeds. ;-)

Yeah, I just 'debugified' all my windshields with a hot damp towel Saturday. The one I just rode to California made that windshield look super clean... :D

OP
OP
SourKraut
Bike
2005 Concours
Instead of doing "honey do's", this afternoon, I fooled around with making a pattern. This is what I've come up with so far. Because of the Rifle vent, I feel as if I will need to anchor (?) the backside, probably use velcro on the whole thing.

Still a work in the making.

Here's what the pattern looks like.

Attachments

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
Mine is similar to Phil's.
Thin polyvinyl folder custom cut, then Velcro along the entire edge.
My new problem is my HiViz jacket reflection on the screen at times, when the sun is shining on my chest.
Good Luck

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought a glare stopper, but it didn't solve he problem. My GPS is a Nuvi - not a Zumo and it is washed out by bright sunlight even when on the dash of my car. So, I got some black cordura nylon, some camo cordura and some stiff plastic and sewed one up - basically making a deeper glarestopper with the black inside and camo outside. It looks fine, its held on by velcro but bright light still washes out the Nuvi when the sun is behind me (regardless of the brightness setting of the screen).

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine is similar to Phil's.
Thin polyvinyl folder custom cut, then Velcro along the entire edge.
My new problem is my HiViz jacket reflection on the screen at times, when the sun is shining on my chest.
Good Luck
That HiViz jacket seems to a tough nut to crack on GPS reflection. I know several other riders have the same problem. I don't know one of those Lexerd screen protectors with anti-glare would help or not.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My GPS is a Nuvi - not a Zumo and it is washed out by bright sunlight even when on the dash of my car.
There's a reason for that. The LCDs that have become plentiful are the transmissive type, which lets light from the back (the backlight) get through the display to reach the viewer. There's another type called transflective (transmissive and reflective), where the layer behind the display also reflects light coming from the front. That property makes the ambient light contribute to how visible the display is instead of forcing the backlight to overcome it. Most monochrome LCDs are transflective because it's cheap and easy to do it for those. Color is more difficult and expensive to get right and adds a silvery cast to everything that device manufacturers think detracts from the appearance of their products.

The only thing Garmin makes for cars or motorcycles that has a transflective display is the 590. My 2006-vintage Lowrance iWay had one and it was twelve kinds of awesome.

--Mark

Bike
2010 ST1300
There's a reason for that. The LCDs that have become plentiful are the transmissive type, which lets light from the back (the backlight) get through the display to reach the viewer. There's another type called transflective (transmissive and reflective), where the layer behind the display also reflects light coming from the front. That property makes the ambient light contribute to how visible the display is instead of forcing the backlight to overcome it. Most monochrome LCDs are transflective because it's cheap and easy to do it for those. Color is more difficult and expensive to get right and adds a silvery cast to everything that device manufacturers think detracts from the appearance of their products.

The only thing Garmin makes for cars or motorcycles that has a transflective display is the 590. My 2006-vintage Lowrance iWay had one and it was twelve kinds of awesome.

--Mark
Thanks, Mark. From what you are saying, the ambient light will wash out a transmissive LCD because it is brighter than the light behind the screen. And if Garmin makes only one transflective display means that most expensive Zumo's can also be washed out. I asked in another thread if users found the Zumo's hard to see in bright sunlight and got a yes from some folks. It boils down to how bright the sunlight is, and where the sun is in relation to the screen. Which is why a sun shield helps but is not a complete cure.

How do you find out ahead of time (before purchase) what kind of LCD a gps has? I've never seen this info in the specs.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
From what you are saying, the ambient light will wash out a transmissive LCD because it is brighter than the light behind the screen.
It's all about what reaches your eye. If ambient light reflected by the glass is brighter than what the display emits, the display will wash out. Glare filters work by diffusing the reflections so you end up seeing less of it. Shields work by preventing the light from reaching the display in the first place.

And if Garmin makes only one transflective display means that most expensive Zumo's can also be washed out.
The transflective displays are the ones on the most expensive models (590 and 595). Everything else is transmissive.

How do you find out ahead of time (before purchase) what kind of LCD a gps has? I've never seen this info in the specs.
You won't have seen it because it's a rare thing. Until the 590, I don't think Garmin ever made anything with a transflective display, and they call it out in the specs.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Out of idle curiosity is there a view/mode in/on the 590LM that shows the right side of the below image full screen?
81nPbXmxkZL._SL1500_.jpg
I understand the benefit of split screens but there are times when I'd just want to keep it simple.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Out of idle curiosity is there a view/mode in/on the 590LM that shows the right side of the below image full screen?
I haven't seen the right side (exit) of the screen ever be full screen, on my 590. I think I recall my nuvi 1490T did go to a full screen exit view, if my memory is correct.

Top Bottom