Givi 52 top box

Just purchased an 06 ST, thinking of getting a Givi top box.
Is the 52 to big for the bike seems like bigger would be better when traveling. How do the Givi and Hondaline compare? What company seems to be the most reliable to order from??
Thanks for any help, I am sure all of this has been hashed on an earlier thread.

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
too big? i wish they made a bigger one, I have an E52 and I think its 'just' big enough, I wish they made an E60 or E65 for that matter...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Any idea how the givi black matches the 06 ST??
Every Givi E52 I've seen has a good paint match. If your bike is black (and therefore next to impossible to keep clean and scratch free) you may want to consider an E52 with the textured (unpainted) black plastic lid.

The plastic grain is a good match for the ST and it won't scratch the way black paint will.

STOC #
Yes, but the painted finish looks more "OEM".

I couldn't find the black one at the moment....

The E52 comes in N902, gloss black finish.

BTW, in the photo above, the case has the chrome trim installed. Normally the flat black cases come with the satin finish trim.

I've been using painted cases for years and they are pretty durable.
Not less than other parts of the bike. And I take them off at the motels, i.e.
My cases are not black though.....:cool:

The HONDA bag looks more integrated with the bike, but I like the Givi bags.

You can purchase the HONDA bag from Sport-Touring Accessories, @ the Deal's Gap ( http://sporttouringusa.com/www/ST1300.htm )

Cheers,
Peter

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Yep, I've got the Givi 52 Top Box also. I chose to take the "lighted" feature and the flat black finish. Although my ride is '05 ST13, there's plenty of black on it and the color match with the flat black (unpainted) Givi is purrrrrfect.

From a size standpoint, checked that out too with a recent 3500 mile leisurely ride over several days. The Givi 52 size was more than enough for me.

One feature I really enjoy is dropping the Givi into the hotel room and ridin' 'round without it. Can you do that with a Honda Top Box?

Thanks!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Kyote, you'll discover opinions about top boxes are up there with opinions about oil. Get the one you like.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Bones summed it up. It's mainly aesthetics. Sometimes there will be a price difference. I like my Hondaline box, but others prefer the Givi. Remember, though, bigger may be better but heavier isn't. Try to keep lighter stuff in the top box to minimize the effect on handling. Honda (and Givi, I assume,) list pretty conservative weight limits. We all ignore them, but there is a reason they're listed.

OP
OP
Kyote
Any dealings with Twisted Throttle?? Seems like they have a little better price on the top box. I really appreciate
all the input from those who have been there done that.

OP
OP
Kyote
How about gross vehicle weight? I was just reading my owners manual and was surprised at how low the recommended weight are. Rear rack cargo limit is 10 lbs.

Deleted member 5682

This is an E52 in my avatar pic...

It's very roomy and very stable...

I use it commuting to/from work....

And it holds a lot of gear for overnights...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Givi 46 gloss black on my '06 that came off my '94 ST11. The paint match is practically OEM. I went with the 46 on my '94 because I thought it looked better. I like the way it looks on the '06 too.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
A major consideration is whether you're concerned about passenger comfort. The Honda topbox and backrest are MUCH more comfortable than the Givi's-- not even close. I have the Givi and love it, but DO NOT waste your money on the Givi padded backrests. My wife is much more comfortable leaning against the box itself than the backrest, which sticks out at an odd and uncomfortable angle. The Hondaline backrest is much better. But other than the backpads, the Givi works really well and has lots of room.

Mandel

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
A major consideration is whether you're concerned about passenger comfort. The Honda topbox and backrest are MUCH more comfortable than the Givi's-- not even close. I have the Givi and love it, but DO NOT waste your money on the Givi padded backrests. My wife is much more comfortable leaning against the box itself than the backrest, which sticks out at an odd and uncomfortable angle. The Hondaline backrest is much better. But other than the backpads, the Givi works really well and has lots of room.

Mandel
Mandel,

Are you talking about the latest Givi back pad or the old original one?

STOC #
I just ordered this one from rlmotorcycles. I'm on a budget so I went for the Monolock case in 47 litre painted silver. It comes with the mounts so nothing else to buy. $9 shipping was good too. I'll let you know how long it takes to get.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/Accessories/givi_monolock.htm

Order Number: 15199
Date and Time: 1/12/2008 7:09:16 PM

Item Qty Price Ext. Price
E470 painted - (G730 Metallic silver)
Item Number: RLGV-E470P(G730 Metallic silver)
$234.00
$234.00

Subtotal: $234.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $9.95
Total: $243.95

Last edited:
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have the GIVI 52 and it's first rate. I use it everyday I ride.
The same company builds the Honda top box. (both boxes are of quality)
The GIVI is a lot less expensive...and parts are easy to get from distributors in the US.
I have installed the light kit and also the rack (which I use often).

Forest

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'd like to see an installed pic once you get it. I'm in the decision making stage...

I just ordered this one from rlmotorcycles. I'm on a budget so I went for the Monolock case in 47 litre painted silver. It comes with the mounts so nothing else to buy. $9 shipping was good too. I'll let you know how long it takes to get.

http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/home/Accessories/givi_monolock.htm

Order Number: 15199
Date and Time: 1/12/2008 7:09:16 PM

Item Qty Price Ext. Price
E470 painted - (G730 Metallic silver)
Item Number: RLGV-E470P(G730 Metallic silver)
$234.00
$234.00

Subtotal: $234.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $9.95
Total: $243.95

Top Bottom