Honda Big Announcement end of October 2017.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^ I agree...the GW (non tour) seems so close to an ST bike and if you want a full dresser, just get the Tour version. That could be a very smart decision by Honda being that the new GW is a bit smaller than it's predecessor. That way, they don't have to R&D a completely new 2nd bike.

I love the 1100's I have but the non Tour GW has really got my attention.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I saw somewhere the compression ratio is very close to the ST??
Per the link at post 354 compression is listed as 10.5:1. That's a bit less than the ST at 10.8:1. My CTX is 10.0:1 and uses 87 PON. I read in one review that the new Wing uses regular fuel but in another review that it uses premium.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Compression ratio is not necessarily an indication of octane requirement. The Mazda SkyActiv engines run 13 to 14:1 and regular is recommended. My Mazda 3 2.0 runs regular at 13:1.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Compression ratio is not necessarily an indication of octane requirement. The Mazda SkyActiv engines run 13 to 14:1 and regular is recommended. My Mazda 3 2.0 runs regular at 13:1.
There is a significant amount of technology that makes this possible. It really comes down to heat displacement (removal). Here is a good read on how they accomplished it.

http://wardsauto.com/technology/how-mazdas-skyactiv-fuel-efficiency-technology-works

I've always felt the ST1300 used a timing map that is too aggressive (advanced) and that is why it requires higher octane. Generally speaking, an aluminum cylinder head will tolerate approximately 1 point higher compression ratio than an iron head (with every thing else being equal). "On paper" the ST1300's 10.8 compression ratio should not require "premium" fuel. I wish I had a way at looking at the timing tables/maps in the ecm.

I like what I see and read. With all the LEDs will alternator output remain the same? Riding two up with all the heated gear for two it's something I like to know. On the ST I set the windscreen so I'm just looking over the top. At 5'8" the tall shield could be too tall for me. I don't see any mention of cross linked brakes. If that's gone will it simplify bleeding? No more problems with the SMC and we would be free to just use the rear brake on slippery surfaces. One report listed the demographic Honda was looking to for sales. It didn't list the sport touring folks but, to me, it appears to be a replacement for the ST.

Len

STOC #
The new GW sure looks good, but if it is supposed to be a replacement for the ST also, they are forgetting one big factor for many riders $$$$$. Not everyone can put out that much Money for a new GW. Up here the GW is $10k more than an ST13 and it will be awhile before any used 2018 wings are around. Maybe a few more lightly used present models become available.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Haven't looked back to remind myself if this link was already posted but in this review it is noted that brakes are linked (see second page most of the way down). Front lever applies 66% front, 33% rear brake. The brake pedal applies 33% front, 66% rear brake.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/10/25/inside-the-2018-honda-gold-wing-first-ride-report/

In another article (or was it a video, don't remember) it was mentioned the combined starter/generator provided more output than in the original GL1800 so more accessories added had less concern about available power.

And here is a good video talking about the features:
https://youtu.be/ufzzFCAtLT4

Last edited:

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
There is a very high likelihood I will be on this in the spring. I'm unsure yet, but will probably hold on to the ST cuz she is just so much fun to ride. But time will tell.

OPINION ... manual or DCT?

I'm 99% sure it won't be the Tour. I just love the sporty look of the standard 'Wing.
The only time I ever want a DCT is when I'm stuck in a traffic jam. That has happened several times frequently and my clutch had really cramps up. (No, not where I can lane split).

Top Bottom