Penske 8987 shock installation

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
My Penske 8987 triple clicker shock with remote fluid reservoir and a 22" long hose, is in and works really well right out of the box. So well in fact, that it makes me think that my front fork seals must be shot! The spring is a hefty 1300 pounds. It just floats over bumps. No canyon or mountain time yet. Tomorrow, perhaps.

Update: I recently (09/20/2007) replaced both tires. I loosened the fork brace (MCL) and "bounced" the front forks to set them straight after the wheels were back in place, then re-tightened everything including the brace. The fork legs move again as they should. Apparently, the forks twisted slightly in the brace, causing some binding. I guess that I did not tightened the brace bolts as tightly as I had thought.

I just need to paint the bracket that I made from aluminum sheet stock to hold the shock's remote reservoir, then attach it to the bike where the former pre-load adjuster mounted, button up the side cover, snap on the seats and I'm done.

For anyone contemplating changing the rear shock, I believe that this Penske is a really good way to go - expensive, but good. Mine was over $1,100. Be advised that it is a time consuming, a dirty, and a real PIA job until you figure out what you need to do -- or are told (thanks again to the tellers). Also be aware that the stock shock top mount eyelet is slightly less than 1/4th inch wider than the Penske, so you'll need to shim that width. I used three, 1/16th inch washers with the stock spacer. The top eyelet floats, so there should not be a problem. Update 06/24/2008: I changed the number and location of the mounting washers as I found some evidence of the shock's spring rubbing on the right side-cover's mounting arm. This time I used two washers on the tire-side of the shock mount, and used one washer on the outboard side instead of the two used originally. That seems to have removed any chance of the spring coil rubbing against anything unintentionally.

One week later: I have changed-out my home-made reservoir bracket for a friend's spare HyperPro unit. The inside diameter was slightly too large for the Penske reservoir so I shimmed the gap. A little aluminum stock and an angle bracket bolted together allowed me to attach the HyperPro bracket to the stock pre-load adjuster arm. The third and fourth images show the shock reservoir mounted. As can be seen, there is ample room for a two Powerlet attachment.

A local mountain trip is on for this afternoon. I expect nothing less than a great ride.

Later that night: Wow! In the mountains my cornering speeds were five to ten miles per hour faster everywhere -- this with much less lean angle and on nearly worn out tires. I was much more confident in the bike's track even though I have only ridden occasionally this summer; was out of town for seven weeks. Very impressive. Freeway ruts, pot holes, and bumps/dips almost disappear. The bikes' rear end no longer rises and stays up during and after braking. All of this in out-of-the-box condition.

Three weeks later: New Avon Storms and EBC brake pads allowed me to take my wife for a short (50 mile) mountain ride. The Penske did not even need its pre-load increased; optimally could have, but there was no need. It easily soaked-up the bumps and irregularities in the roadway, as well as ensuring confidence-inspiring cornering.

Impression over all: my bike was transformed into the quick, smooth, tractable, gracious performer that I was looking for. Oddly, the steering is somewhat "heavier", meaning that turn-in is slightly slower but straight-line stability is improved. Not sure why this is as the front end was left alone, and the rear was raised about one inch. I suppose it could be that the new Storms are just a tire with better grip than the Michelines and that I was sliding somewhat before. At any rate, I highly recommend this product.

12/09/2007 Update: the newness of the Avon Storms was what made the steering somewhat heavy. Now that they are scuffed in, the bike is back to its moderately quick handling ways.

12/17/2007 Update: photos five through nine trace the shock damper hose from the blue anodized, right angle connector, down and behind the shock spring, then out to the remote reservoir with its high- and low-speed adjusters. The total length of the hose is slightly more than 22 inches. Two people have written to me, stating that the hose length they received was on the order of nine inches. That may be enough length for mounting on the right, but certainly not for mounting on the left. Be sure to let Penske know where you intend to mount the remote reservoir, if you buy one.

These are the settings that I have found to work best for me
. High Speed compression = 5 clicks out from full in; Low Speed compression = 11 clicks out from full in for canyons or 12 clicks for highways when unloaded; Rebound = 7 clicks out from full in for canyons, 8 for streets and highways. Adjusting the shock when adding a pillion or luggage is easy: turn the High Speed Compression adjuster one click clockwise for every 100 pounds of added weight.

Here's how to tell if you have your shock damping is set right. Find a set of corners that you feel comfortable riding. Having bumps and dips in the corners is a "must".

High Speed compression damping controls the shock's spring when it is compressed very quickly. It has nothing to do with your bike's speed. If you have High Speed damping to adjust, find a sharp bump or square-edged irregularity in the pavement. Too soft and you'll get a "floating" feeling. Too hard and the sharp bump may lift you from your seat.

To adjust High Speed damping, look for the reservoir near the top of the shock, or one end of the remote reservoir. You will need a small crescent wrench to tun the larger of the two nuts. See your Penske manual for a picture of this. Set your High Speed damping half way through its range. Ride through the corners. Adjust the damper progressively harder until the bump jars you when you go over it. Back off one click and try the bump again. Continuing to back off damping one click at a time. Clockwise = more damping. Counterclockwise = less. Five or six clicks out from full in should be about right.

Low Speed compression damping controls the shock's spring when it is compressed normally. Too soft and you'll get a "sliding" feeling when moving through corners. This almost feels like your front tire pressure is too low. Too hard and the rear end feels "skittish" over slight bumps.

To adjust Low Speed damping, start half way through its adjustment range. Look for the reservoir near the top of the shock, or one end of the remote reservoir. You will be able to turn the smaller knob with your fingers. See your Penske manual for a picture of this. Ride through the corners. If the bike feels twitchy (bouncing on the roadway) in the side-to-side transitions, reduce the Low Speed compression damping. If it pitches up and down in a corner, increase Low Speed damping. Adjust up or down one click at a time. Go through the same corners and make adjustments until your bike feels right. Then take to the freeway. Make sure that when you hit bumps that you are not jarred. If you are, back off one click and try it again. Suspension setting are a compromise. You can always make adjustments again to suit your road.

Once you have the Low Speed and High Speed damping set, stiffen the High Speed only by one click for each 100 pounds (50 Kg) of extra passenger or storage weight. The High Speed setting controls the Low Speed setting too, so no other adjustment is needed. When carrying less, dial back to your normal High Speed damping value.

Rebound damping controls how quickly the shock's spring is able to return to its normal, compressed length. Too soft and you'll get a "wallowing" feeling when exiting corners. Too hard and the rear wheel may come off the ground in repetitive (stutter) bumps. Ride through the corners. If you feel the rear end getting shorter and shorter, the damping is too great; back off and try again. If the rear end feels like it wants to throw you into the air at the peak of the bump, add damping.

To adjust Rebound, start half way through its adjustment range. Look for the red-colored, toothed wheel near the bottom of the shock. Moving the wheel to the right (facing the bike from the right side) provides more damping; to the left, less. With some effort, one can turn the wheel with one finger. You may need a lever though. I use a flat bladed screwdriver wrapped in a rag. Take your bike off the stands. While you are mounted, sit down hard on the seat, compressing the shock spring. Look in your rear-view mirror and watch the bike's rear end. Stand on the ground to release the shock's load. Set the Rebound so that it takes about one second to return to the unladen height. Take your bike out for a test ride as before. Adjust as suggested above.

Marshal

Attachments

Last edited:

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Marshal thanks for the write up . Now my question is about weight capacity, what max weight did penske reccomend for this set-up ? Riding 2-up and touring we probably weigh in between 500-550 lbs of riders, top box and stuff.

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Marshal thanks for the write up . Now my question is about weight capacity, what max weight did penske reccomend for this set-up ? Riding 2-up and touring we probably weigh in between 500-550 lbs of riders, top box and stuff.
Lindemann Engineering asked me (for Penske's build questions) what I weigh, what type of riding I do and how spiritedly I do it, what percentage of the time I spend two-up, and how much extra weight I carry in top-box and supplies.

I told Lindemann that I weigh 230 pounds, ride 75% mountains and canyons and 25% freeways, I ride as fast as I can without using the brakes, spend less than 10% of the time riding double, and carry about 20 pounds of top-box and stuff. From that they arrived at a 1,300 pound spring and whatever high-speed and low-speed valving they provided. They did not suggest a maximum weight for this set-up.

I think that your estimate of 500-550 pounds is pretty close to correct for me when the bike is fully loaded and riding double. I do not even have to adjust the spring pre-load to support that weight! Pretty amazing. I assume that between the SonicSprings and the Penske shock that I'm pretty well ready for all occassions.

I believe that much of Penske's decision to build what they did for me was based upon the work that Chris (Sport_Tourer) reported on this Board in 2004-2005. A tip o' the hat to Chris for that. :bow1: :bow1: :bow1:

Hope that this helps,

Marshal

Bike
2005 ST1300
Thanks for the report as shock replacement is not far away for me.

By the way - I like your avatar. The Palm Cafe in Orick has been a favorite of mine for several years now. I never miss an opportunity to have breakfast there.

Tim

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Thanks for the report as shock replacement is not far away for me.

By the way - I like your avatar. The Palm Cafe in Orick has been a favorite of mine for several years now. I never miss an opportunity to have breakfast there.

Tim
Hi, Tim:

I was on my way back from a solo bike trip to Washington state several years back and stumbled upon the Palm Cafe. I was not going to stop but saw two bicycles, one with a one wheeled trailer, parked in front. I just could not resist seeing who was riding that combo (see avatar), so I stopped in for breakfast. I was overcome by the kindness and good humor of the staff and patrons there, and the good food. I'll be back -- in a good way.

Marshal

STOC #
i just got my penske installed tonight how did you get the remote to the right side my was to short and i had to put it on the battery side. zipties where my fancy way of mounting. lol
bryan

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
i just got my penske installed tonight how did you get the remote to the right side my was to short and i had to put it on the battery side. zipties where my fancy way of mounting. lol
bryan
Congrats. You'll love it!

Instead of routing the reservoir cable over the top of the frame as was done with the stock pre-load adjuster cable, I just lead the cable immediately to the left from the shock, then over to the point where I mounted the reservoir. As I had specified a right-angle connection where the cable joins the shock, there were no kinks or bends.

Mine was not a special length cable. You might want to look at it again.

Marshal

STOC #
i should have done that, my connection pushes the line toward the battery side, No biggie really. Maybe when rebuild time comes i will change that also
bryan

STOC #
between ride height,preload, rebound and compresion this is going to take a long time to get all sorted. I had never realized sag is susposed to be seat at an inch and a halfish from full extension of the suspension. I always thought it was susposed to be an inch and a half from static sag< the place where the bike sits with no rider on it>
bryan

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
between ride height,preload, rebound and compresion this is going to take a long time to get all sorted. I had never realized sag is susposed to be seat at an inch and a halfish from full extension of the suspension. I always thought it was susposed to be an inch and a half from static sag< the place where the bike sits with no rider on it>
bryan
Bryan:

You might want to just leave everything as is for a while. If your setup is like mine, it's already dialed-in about as well as can be expected.

DISCLAIMER: The following is pure rubbish, to be read only for its humor value.
I believe that the "perfect" sag is really a compromise between how your shock damper rides within a particular range of motion, i.e. where the damper meters are relative to the rod's stroke, and what is the bike's relative weighting on its tires' front and rear contact points. The shock's spring's elastic-rebound/compression-rate and length seem to control where in the rod's stroke the shock normally rides. The ride height adjustment seems to control the bike's front-rear bias. In my experience, one can "feel" the tires' adhesion levels while running through smooth corners. Raise the rear, or lower the front end to quicken steering; lower the rear or raise the front end to slow steering. There should be a "sweet spot" where you like the way the bike behaves more often than not. Once you are where you want to be, set it and forget it.

I think that Chris and Penske really did some heavy lifting for us on the damper side of things. But, if you want to see what happens "if..." it's time to look at the low-speed and high-speed damper circuits. Just follow the manual that came with the shock. Be warned that the two circuits overlap each other in function, that is: adjustments to the low speed circuit affect the high speed circuit and vice versa. Have a look at the shock dyno plot to see what I mean. I suggest that the balance of these adjusters is so easy to upset that, unless one is an expert or hires an expert to do the work, one might be better off to leave these alone. At least mark your baseline before you make any changes. YMMV.

Have fun!

Marshal

Last edited:

Gene

STOC #
Hey Marshal I was wondering instead of removing the peg brace and other items to get the lower shock bolt out to the right ,wouldn't it be a lot easier to remove the rear wheel loosen up the lower mount bolt cut it off and use a new bolt installed from the left on reassemby ?

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Hey Marshal I was wondering instead of removing the peg brace and other items to get the lower shock bolt out to the right ,wouldn't it be a lot easier to remove the rear wheel loosen up the lower mount bolt cut it off and use a new bolt installed from the left on reassemby ?
I had not thought of that. How would you cut it off: use a saw?

I used the "remove the wheel" method, but did not have any trouble getting the lower shock mount bolt removed. I did have trouble with the lower shock mount hitting the frame after the bolt was removed.

It could be that my 2004 frame is slightly different than the newer frames.

Marshal

Marshal:

I've really studied your pics in a lot more detail this time around. The top of your Penske is much longer than the top of mine. Even after grinding the frame, there is only maybe a millimeter or two clearance between the top of the shock and the frame. Obviously then there are two or more shock tops for Penske's. You've got a ton of clearance between the top of your shock and the frame.

I do see you already have the Torrington bearing. Smart move. Preloading a 1300# spring without one is a bitch.

RDR

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Marshal:

I've really studied your pics in a lot more detail this time around. The top of your Penske is much longer than the top of mine. Even after grinding the frame, there is only maybe a millimeter or two clearance between the top of the shock and the frame. Obviously then there are two or more shock tops for Penske's. You've got a ton of clearance between the top of your shock and the frame.

I do see you already have the Torrington bearing. Smart move. Preloading a 1300# spring without one is a bitch.

RDR
It's pretty strange that more than one shock mount is being sold by people who should know "what's what". Kudos to Lindemann for doing this shock right the first time!

Actually, I did not have a clue about the Torrington bearing until you mentioned it. How can you tell that it's there?

Marshal

Last edited:

Gene

STOC #
It looks like a small cut off wheel grinder would work or a sawzall with a good blade.Trying to minimize the amount of bike I will have to remove .

Marshal:

It is a very thin radial roller bearing that sits between two hardened steel plates on top of the spring between the spring and the preload collar. It has little rollers in it about a quarter inch long and about half as big around as pencil lead. If you didn't have that, the preload collar would grind directly against the top of the shock spring and trust me, it takes a lot of force to preload a 1300# spring. You would probably bend your preload tool.

I'm headed over to where my ST is this evening. I'll take some pics of where I ground my frame and also a pic of the brake line that needs rotating slightly to get the side footpeg bracket off.

You're right - Jim Lindemann is very good. That's why I live half an hour from Traxxion but yet I'm boxing up the stuff I bought from them and sending it to him.

Gene: Sawzall - hand held weapon of mass destruction. Couldn't have remodeled the house with out it.

RDR.

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Marshal:

It is a very thin radial roller bearing that sits between two hardened steel plates on top of the spring between the spring and the preload collar. It has little rollers in it about a quarter inch long and about half as big around as pencil lead. If you didn't have that, the preload collar would grind directly against the top of the shock spring and trust me, it takes a lot of force to preload a 1300# spring. You would probably bend your preload tool.

I'm headed over to where my ST is this evening. I'll take some pics of where I ground my frame and also a pic of the brake line that needs rotating slightly to get the side footpeg bracket off.

You're right - Jim Lindemann is very good. That's why I live half an hour from Traxxion but yet I'm boxing up the stuff I bought from them and sending it to him.

Gene: Sawzall - hand held weapon of mass destruction. Couldn't have remodeled the house with out it.

RDR.
Thanks.

Marshal

Top Bottom