Penske 8987 shock installation

Marshal & others:

This is how I had to notch my frame to get my Penske to fit:

This photo shows how close the shock fits but it does clear and has enough rotation range to rotate as much as necessary through out the entire travel of the shock.

This is a photo of what is known as a Torrington radial bearing. It consists of two hardened steel plates and the bearing. The top steel plate goes against the preload adjuster, then the bearing itself, then the other hardened steel plate, then the shock spring.

This last photo shows how I install and remove the shock. Take the side plate off that mounts the pegs. Rotate the brake line fitting shown about 5? counter clockwise to allow the brake line to clear and the shock comes out the back. The black duct tape is to keep from the pieces from skinning each other up.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

RDR

Last edited:

RodSTer

former username rschween
Bike
2013 R1200GSA
STOC #
Thought I'd chime in here too. I ordered the Penske 2 way from Lindemann when I found I wouldn't be able to bring a Wilbers back with me from Germany. Ordered late Sept, finally received in late December only to find the hose for the remote reservior was wayyyy to short. The one they sent to me was only 9 inches long.

Talked to Jim, he promised to check with Penske and call me back, thats over a week ago, still no word. Apparently a few have mounted the reservior under the battery box, I'm not sure I even have enough hose for that, hopefully the garage warms up and I can get out there and have a look. That said I did not have any trouble with the fit of the shock itself, no grinding necessary.

So note to anyone ordering a Penske, make sure you specify hose length if you want to route the reservior over to the left side.

Rod

Rschween:

Send some pics of your reservoir mounting if you wind up doing it on the right side - we'd all love to see them.

If it's any comfort to you, this is the busy time of the year for the bike setup shops. Trying to get the racers ready for next season. Daytona is really not that far in the future.

Why couldn't you get the Wilber's back over the pond - freaked out Airport Security when they saw it?

STOC #
that what i got. i sent it back and penske added another foot of hose that did the trick and then some, I could feel the res on my foot when it was mounted on the battery box side. Oh how did i mount it? you know that little hole to adjust the stock shock. I added another with my trusty drill and zipped tied it all in place.

RodSTer

former username rschween
Bike
2013 R1200GSA
STOC #
Rschween:

Why couldn't you get the Wilber's back over the pond - freaked out Airport Security when they saw it?
Well I actually didn't even get that far. My Dad grew up only an hour from where the Wilbers is manufactured. We were over for a visit, and they were prepared to build one for me, but when I made some inquiries with the airline it was no go. In the end I thought I'd go through someone in North America so I could get service etc, but that hasn't worked out so well yet.

I guess I'm disappointed because for the $$$ you shell out for one of these, they should know where the mounting for the reservoir is. I'm sure once I ride it though it will be all worth while. Just a hassle in Canuckville to get stuff here, and kind of a pain to send it back if it isn't right. Oh well it's snowing here so at least its not like I could be riding.

OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Update:

I've added some shock adjustment info to the first post.

Also, I have sent my Penske 8987 to Lindemann Engineering for a refurb at 20K+ miles; they recommend that a service should be done at that mileage anyway. Oddly, the only seal in the whole shock recently blew out, dumping the shock's oil onto the garage floor. Better there than on the rear tire. My stock shock gave up about the same mileage. The difference this time was the cost to repair/refurbish was $150 rather than buying a new stock shock for $800.

If your Penske shock is about 20K miles old, you might want to have it serviced.

Marshal

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #
Got about 6k on my Penske triple clicker with 1300lb spring and it made all the difference in the world to settle the bikes handling deficiencies. Adjustments to spring preload and valving are readily noticeable. Mine was shipped with a 22" hose on the remote res.

Even 2up it handles better than it did 1up stock. Sonic 1.1 springs in the front with 125mm spacer, no more draging the front lower cowl or center stand tangs.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Got about 6k on my Penske triple clicker with 1300lb spring and it made all the difference in the world to settle the bikes handling deficiencies. Adjustments to spring preload and valving are readily noticeable. Mine was shipped with a 22" hose on the remote res.

Even 2up it handles better than it did 1up stock. Sonic 1.1 springs in the front with 125mm spacer, no more dragging the front lower cowl or center stand tangs.;)
Don:

We're only about 50 miles from each other. Want to try for a ride sometime?

Marshal

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #
OP
OP
Marshal_Mercer

Marshal_Mercer

Bike
Has new home
STOC #