‘91 ST1100 Seat Cover/Aftermarket Seat/New Seat?

Hi everyone, this st has a few big rips in the seat. I could try and repair them but it will look like garbage and the vinyl is dry and probably going to crack more. Anyone have a source for aftermarket seats? Or maybe some good quality covers? Or is the best bet buying new or getting this one reupholstered?
Thanks!

OP
OP
If you like your seat just find a local upholstery shop to make and install a new cover.
I wouldn’t say I “like” the seat. It’s just the seat it has. Wouldn’t mind getting an entire aftermarket seat if some users recommend a brand. It would have to be a seat that’s trying to replicate the stock seat though. Not a new design.
If the best option is an upholsterer then that’s fine.

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
If that's the case, then it would be worth checking out some of the aftermarket ones. Finding the seat that fits you best and that you can ride on for extended rides can be a challenge. That's why I suggested the recovering route. On my 1300, the Sargent seat works well for me. The 1100 veterans should be offering some advice soon.

OP
OP
If that's the case, then it would be worth checking out some of the aftermarket ones. Finding the seat that fits you best and that you can ride on for extended rides can be a challenge. That's why I suggested the recovering route. On my 1300, the Sargent seat works well for me. The 1100 veterans should be offering some advice soon.
Cool, thanks for the help

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OK, you can read numerous threads here by searching regarding aftermarket seats. Many, many very happy butts will tell you that the Russell Day Long seat is the best for comfort and if you plan to do any long distance, multi day tours, you would be well advised to consider that choice. It doesn't resemble the stock seat, in that it has a larger "pan" for your arse to sit in, giving better support for all of it and your thighs too.

I can't believe I waited 20 years with my ST before I finally bit the $$$ bullet and bought one! It is built at the factory in California to your specifications, on the original seat pan.

OP
OP
Thanks for the help! I’ll look around my area to get prices for recovering. The day longs seem to be very nice but pretty expensive, I’m sure they’re worth it but the seat as it is for me is sufficient as far as comfort. Not sure I want to go with the best of the best and then when I ride my other bikes they would feel like rocks in comparison and would make me want to upgrade those too. Ignorance is bliss!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
As Bush says, most riders find the Russell Daylong to be the seat solution (there are a few that didn't).
If you plan on keeping the bike and doing any long days of riding, it is well worth the money.
I'm on my second Russell(s - had two built) as I had 250,000+ miles on my first one -

It's built to you and takes the seat out of the equation regardless of how long you sit in it.
I've done 8+hours (refueled while on the bike :eek:) and never got off the ST1100 (had to be somewhere quick) and never had a butt ache.
But be advised that a used Russell may or may not work if the original owner is not pretty close to your physical dimensions.
I've bought one used that didn't (didn't know the original owner) and one used that did (original owner pretty much matched my dimensions).

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I purchased a seat cover for $80-90, and had a local shop install it. I commute and an hour each way it's perfectly comfortable. Never gone more than an hour. Maybe it would work, maybe not. If the factory seat is comfortable for your use, I see no reason to spend the coin. If it isn't comfortable, well, then Russell, Corbin, Sargent, etc. all have options. RT

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I’ll look around my area to get prices for recovering
That's probably the wisest choice, given the age of your bike. If I was to buy a new motorcycle, I would consider spending the big dollars to get a custom seat from a reputable manufacturer - but given that your bike is 30 years old, I would be reluctant to invest that much money in a custom seat.

I've got a 2001 ST 1100 that desperately needs a new seat - but I'm not going to buy a custom seat "new" for that bike, much as I love that bike, which I bought new.

If you know of anyone who happens to have a Russel Day-Long that was built for a 5' 10" rider with a 32 inch inseam who weighs 170 pounds, send them my way, will ya'? :)

Michael

I wouldn’t say I “like” the seat. It’s just the seat it has. Wouldn’t mind getting an entire aftermarket seat if some users recommend a brand. It would have to be a seat that’s trying to replicate the stock seat though. Not a new design.
If the best option is an upholsterer then that’s fine.
Hi everyone, this st has a few big rips in the seat. I could try and repair them but it will look like garbage and the vinyl is dry and probably going to crack more. Anyone have a source for aftermarket seats? Or maybe some good quality covers? Or is the best bet buying new or getting this one reupholstered?
Thanks!
I have a perfect condition seat. $ 50.00 and it's yours. No shipping. I think I live fairly close to you. 860-982-1988 Bob

Top Bottom