05 ST1300

Hi I have been prowling the threads for a while. I already own a 96 ST1100, love the bike. Runs good with around 70k. I have the opportunity to purchase a 05 ST1300 with a lot of mile. It has 155k, I’m not to worried about the miles, just curious what you guys think something like this is worth.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome to the forum! :welcome1: :canflag1:

Price depends on too many factors for me to guess. You wondering for insurance reasons or to sell it?

edit: guess I didn't read the thread properly... missed the "opportunity to purchase"

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
If in excellent shape and no issues, maybe $2500 to 3000? Others will feel differently. Then again, 155K miles may just be admission to the club, depending on how it was maintained. It could be a nice driver or require quite a bit to get it up to snuff. How is your mechanical ability?

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Bike
2010 ST1300
$7,000 for a high value for a 19 year old, discontinued and unsupported bike with 155,000 miles on the clock? Even with 12 miles on the clock, the other considerations make the $7k number wildly optimistic. Consider what it might need, first and foremost would be an SMC (my guess), tires, battery, fluids, brake pads, etc. You can easily put a thousand into the bike to get it back to @Igofar or @aniwack condition in parts. Consider the fact that pre '07 bikes have had ECU problems and there are precious few of those left and I would say it's value is at the bottom of the range. My opinion only.

Bike
R1200rt
it better be real clean if not I would doubt if the bike was well taken care of.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My first thought was has it been inspected by a mechanic who knows and understands ST1300’s?
A local purchased one from the dealer museum for a stupid amount of money with approximately 20k miles on it after the trained service mgr. had his best mechanic inspect, and guarantee the bike was in perfect mechanical condition, and ready to ride anywhere….
He rode it straight to my garage….
Ask him how that worked out for him.

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If you want to bring it back to its glory days, and IF the wiring is not crisp and damaged, and the ECU does not fail, it’s very easy to sink a few grand in parts alone just to make it safe and roadworthy etc.
If you can get eyes on the bike and call the white courtesy phone, I can walk you through some inspections that may answer your questions.
:WCP1:

RiderRon

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I can attest to what Larry (igofar) has mentioned. I really wanted a 1300, thought I did my due diligence and paid $3200 for a bike with 49k on it.
I thought was a pristine dealer maintained bike that came with service records.. brand new dealer installed rear tire with a dry rotted rubber valve stem that crumbled once I decided to check the air pressure, foul on me. Also had a bad SMC, K&N air filter and misaligned front forks.
These bikes are old and will need maintenance so be prepared. I always change all the fluids on any vehicle I buy because I don’t trust what they tell me, so factor in all the costs.

OP
OP
Nickchilds61304
OK guys, thanks for all of the advice. I am not looking for a pristine bike. I recognize the age, already having a 96 ST1100. I am pretty mechanically inclined and this will be a bike beside my ST1100, so a second bike. At the cost of $1700 I think I will just bite the bullet and take my chance. I think in the worst case scenario, I get some enjoyment out of it before having to do anything major, especially with it being a second bike. I will make sure to do all of the immediate things, and re-question the mechanic on every detail, but I think for the price it will be OK for me. I am not expecting pristine condition, however looking at the pics and the video of startup and running it seems to have been well taken care of.

Any thing I should look for immediately when I do my final inspection? Any place where they are prone to leak or prone to have issues that I can take note of when I pick it up?

Bike
2005 ST-1300
Hi I have been prowling the threads for a while. I already own a 96 ST1100, love the bike. Runs good with around 70k. I have the opportunity to purchase a 05 ST1300 with a lot of mile. It has 155k, I’m not to worried about the miles, just curious what you guys think something like this is worth.

I just paid $3500 for one with 37,000 miles. Since previous owners lacked in the maintenance department, I am doing lots of work on it to get it ready for mega mile rides.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Any thing I should look for immediately when I do my final inspection? Any place where they are prone to leak or prone to have issues that I can take note of when I pick it up?
Is it near enough for you to lay eyes on it?
The immediate concern would be brakes, specifically the rear wheel turning freely on the centerstand and the almost inevitable Secondary Master Cylinder. How many owners? When was it last ridden, etc.
Pretty much the initial concerns are already addressed here, and if the wiring loom is in decent shape and you don't need tires immediately, 1700 could be (COULD be) a reasonable price, as there are several 1300s here with 6 figures on the odometer, a few with multiples of 6 figures.
Either way, I have no doubt you'll have a bit of a project to bring it up to its potential, in which case you can double the current mileage.
Do call the White Courtesy Phone, so Larry won't be bored, and so you can confidently enjoy this bike and revel in your frugality.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
For SAFETY reasons, the first thing you should inspect is the SMC, as this can lock up without warning and pitch you off the bike!
Most dealerships don't even know what it is, or how to inspect it, or worst yet, inspect it incorrectly, putting you at risk.
The second most important thing you'll want to check is the ECU (No longer available)
Start the bike, and bring the RPM's up to about 5,000 and hold it there for about 20 seconds. If the FI light comes on, there is a very strong chance that is why it is being sold so cheap.
It's either a bad ECU (again, no longer available) or a crispy damaged lower sub wire harness.
I'm thinking there is a reason the bike is priced as such.
Some dealers/owners have be caught clearing the codes, and only showing the bike at idle, and not allowing test drives, or raised RPM's to hide this fact.
Buyer beware.
Again, I can walk you through the inspections on the phone if you need help.
Igofar

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
You are new here, and don't know anything about Larry - screen name Igofar. He is about as close to a professional full time ST mechanic as we could ever hope to get, and if you spend five minutes reading some threads by folks who have had him 'tweak' their bikes you will be convinced*. He offered to talk you through an inspection in post #9 above - you would be foolish not to avail yourself of his expertise...even if you are an ST mechanic yourself.

Hover your cursor over the blue Igofar in post 14 or 9, then click on "start conversation". Send him your phone number and he will call you back. Then set up an appointment when you can go see the bike and ask Larry to call you to talk you through an inspection.

*https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/igofar-reviews.124928/page-19#post-2444043

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickchilds61304
Guys thanks for all of the suggestions, and Larry thanks for the phone calls. Unfortunately after making deals, and setting up times to inspect the bike, and even laying a deposit down, they sold the bike from underneath me. After a few conversations though it may have been for the best.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Unfortunately after making deals, and setting up times to inspect the bike, and even laying a deposit down, they sold the bike from underneath me.
Here's the good news:
ST1300s are still available, and some decent ones are even being sold by decent people, for decent prices.

Top Bottom