06 battery life?

Bike
06ST
STOC #
Do you think it would be time to change the battery for this coming riding season to be on the safe side?Your opinion appreciated
Thanks
Dean

My 03 still has the stock battery. We hit -18 degrees a few nights ago. It'll be interesting to see if it survived that. One symptom of the battery getting weak is to have the dash clock and trip meters reset themselves. With a weak battery, voltage drops low enough when cranking the starter that the dash resets.

I've heard of new batteries failing within a few months. I'm hanging on to mine until it indicates it's getting weak.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'd go with the voltage sag test when cranking to get a feel for capacity not age. The clock reset also gives you a warning. That's not to say a battery can't fail suddenly but a new one can as well.

Unless the acid is weak and allow the internals to freeze, cold doesn't hurt the battery. Heat kills a battery. The chemical reaction slows down when it's cold (good or bad battery) so that's when you likely experience an issue.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I believe its both luck and how you treat you battery... my stock '04 is going fine. Also recommend a battery float charger for those times of non-use ( like now with all this snow! ).

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Load test your battery once in awhile by measuring the voltage and then cranking the starter. If it dips below 10V, it's time for a new battery.

Estimating battery life is difficult because there are so many variables that factor into how long it's going to live.

--Mark

st1300doug

My '06 Battery lasted until 2009. Never put a "tender" on it. (Lived in Savannah GA. at that period...) But, I do believe that batteries last longer w/a Battery Tender. I'd ride w/the OEM battery until it died. $$$!!

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I don't commute on my ST, strictly weekend romps and road trips. With this, I've had two batteries die with no warning. Fortunately I was close to home with both. Now I don't hesitate, replace at the 4 year mark. Depends on your situation, but for me, bearings and batteries are replaced as a preventative measure.

RCS

Depends. To check it out I'd do a load test using a voltage multimeter. One of these can be purchased at an auto supply store like Autozone for about $25. This test will tell you if your battery has enough power to start your bike at least several more times. If it passes the load test you're good to go. I perform a load test on my battery every 3 months to make sure I'm good for a while.

With that in mind, I change my battery after 2 or 3 years just because I've read a lot about motorcycle batteries and their service life. Many of the articles suggest 2-3 years as the average lifetime of a motorcycle battery. I know that many other folks say they can get lots of years out of their batteries and I applaud that. For me, I don't want to get stuck somewhere and realize a battery is essentially electrolyte fluid and iron/metal that corrodes over time. Over time, when the iron/metal corrodes(oxidizes) or the electrolyte evaporates due to high heat that becomes a problem.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
I do the 5-year rule on both the car and the bike. My theory is I'm going to buy a battery anyway, +/- a year. Might as well do it at my convenience rather than the battery's.

I thought that I got 10 years out of my Harley battery was pretty cool. Until the day the guy I sold it to came to pick it up. :banghead:

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
My '06 Battery lasted until 2009. Never put a "tender" on it. (Lived in Savannah GA. at that period...) But, I do believe that batteries last longer w/a Battery Tender. I'd ride w/the OEM battery until it died. $$$!!
Same here I have had some batteries last longer it just depends on if you keep them charged

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Do you think it would be time to change the battery for this coming riding season to be on the safe side?Your opinion appreciated
Thanks
Dean
Still running 04 with 86,000 on it with orginal battery. Battery check shows 12.96.
Hope I did not gx myself.

Bike
04 ST1300A
I've got the orginal battery in my 04 ST. Yuasa YTZ14s. Still going strong. I put the battery tender on it once a week.

mnop308

reformed scooter rider
Bike
2007 ST 1300
I have been thinking of changing out the Battery in my new 07, never service out until I bought it new in April 09. They told me they put in the acid during the prep service at time of purchase with a charge to bring it up. When my bike was new, it fired right off but now it sounds like it is taking a few turns before it fires. I would like to be better safe than sorry this summer since extream heat is as bad as the cold on a battery. We can expect days over 100 degrees here during the summer. Should I be better safe than sorry and get a new battery when I go in a couple of weeks from now to get an oil change and inspection? Don't mean to hijack the tread, just curious.

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
Quick test on the battery is to put a voltmeter on it when the bike is cold and note the voltage before cranking over and also not the voltage while cranking over. It should not drop much below 12v if at all. If it drops below 10v then start thinking about replacement. If it drops below 9v think about carrying jumper cables or have a tow truck on speed dial.

If the clock doesn't come on then turn around and go back inside for more coffee.

EDIT: Obviously check the battery terminals for tightness first.

I just replaced the OEM battery in my -05 ST1300. Bike was purchased in Nov. 2006, so I have about 5 1/2 years and 81000 miles on the original battery. The clock reset last week, so I knew it was starting to get weak. I should be good to go now for another 5+ years.:biker:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I should be good to go now for another 5+ years.:biker:
Plan on 2-3 years if you bought a replacement Yuasa. The replacements you get are NOT the same as what our bikes came with.

I was on the original Yuasa in my '06 until 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I'm very disappointed with the replacement Scorpion, which is worse than the old Yuasa I took out, so Friday before my weekend's ride I'll be putting the old Yuasa back in and see just how much more life it has in it. As long as its better than the replacement, I might as well finish getting my money's worth out of it. I don't dare to go out of town again with the Scorpion. I'll be doing some testing with the Scorpion before calling the company to see about returning it.

Top Bottom