'08 KLR 650

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I probably should just go out in the yard and do some doughnuts and wheelie up to the porch railing and hang the front wheel up on the rail, then do a few figure eights until I get dizzy and drop it. The grass is still dormant so it will come back in the spring, in fact most of the yard is snow covered. I've already put a skid plate, aluminum hand guards, and engine guards on it so I really can't do a lot of damage if I do drop it.

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I rode a BMW F650 last year. It was a loaner from the dealer. I really did not want to ride the bike, but that is all they had. i believe that it was the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, however, not sure of it's touring capibilities. Anyone here that could compare the F650 to the KLR? I would consider buying a KLR if they handle anything like a F650.:03biker:
Check out ADVrider.com and KLR650.net. There are a few comparisons on those boards. I don't think you have to join to do a search, not sure.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I rode a BMW F650 last year. It was a loaner from the dealer. I really did not want to ride the bike, but that is all they had. i believe that it was the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden, however, not sure of it's touring capibilities. Anyone here that could compare the F650 to the KLR? I would consider buying a KLR if they handle anything like a F650.:03biker:
I believe the Suzuki DRZ 650 is also another option.. shorter seat height.. nope, I haven't been looking...

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I tried real hard to buy an F650 before I bought the KLR. I'd say they are pretty darn close, with the F650 a slight handling winner. IMHO, for the money, there is no real way to compare. KLR wins.

Ray did a demo ride at Sturgis a couple of years ago. He was the only KLR signed up, so they took him with the sport bikes. The "tail end Charlie" told him he didn't have to try to keep up with the sports, it was pretty spirited riding. He managed to keep up:) I think the kid might have hinted that he was too old to ride with them....

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Hey Mac -

Nice KLR! If you want it BLACK (which is, of course, faster) you could always Rhino-liner it. Then you don't even have to worry about scratches!
:D

So, when you want to do the TAT????? I'll come with on my XRL.....you might need someone to pick up your bike (joking, joking, joking - no more downed bikes for you!).

OP
OP
motomac
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Hey Mac -

Nice KLR! If you want it BLACK (which is, of course, faster) you could always Rhino-liner it. Then you don't even have to worry about scratches!
:D

So, when you want to do the TAT????? I'll come with on my XRL.....you might need someone to pick up your bike (joking, joking, joking - no more downed bikes for you!).
Thanks Raven. If I didn't think I'd drop it, I wouldn't be spending all this money on guards!!! I used to race in the dirt, so I know drops are inevitable. LOL rhino liner!!! I am doing the Canadian NW and AK first, then I'll start to plan the TAT.

STOC #
Congrats on the KLR. The '08 KLR was my first choice for back up bike, but Tracy wants to learn to ride and at 4'11'' she isn't getting on a KLR. I ended up buying the used '01 F650GS ABS. With the low profile seat it had on it Tracy can ride without modifications. The ABS is nice too.

Attachments

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats on the KLR Mac!!!

If you ever get the desire to ride some of the Hatfield & McCoy trails here in West Virginia, let me know. I have ridden most of the trails with my DRZ400.

Great trails, well marked.

Happy Dual Sporting:D

Bike
ST 1100. KLR 65
Nice bike,did the same thing last fall, the KLR is a nice change of pace.I find myself riding both bikes equally, and smiling alot.

LonggoneST

LongGone ST
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
i bought a new klr 650 in '99
..for dual sport riding they are neat bikes...

and for a thumper that thing would hit well over 100 mph pretty fast...

tsp

LonggoneST

LongGone ST
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Over 100MPH? Not a chance!! :D

:bsflag:

<D>
...no b/s here....actually the speedo showed it at 110 more than once..

of course the front fender acted like it want to sail away at that speed..

go to the klr sites and ask around how fast they have had theirs up too..

tsp

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
...no b/s here....actually the speedo showed it at 110 more than once..

of course the front fender acted like it want to sail away at that speed..

go to the klr sites and ask around how fast they have had theirs up too..

tsp
I have one...I'm sticking with my statement.... :D

<D>

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Maybe. 100 with "highway gearing" 1 tooth on the front, 2 on the back. But definately not with my fat a&& on it:) And definately not on mine, I'm rolled out at 85 or so....and that was way too fast:)

LonggoneST

LongGone ST
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I have one...I'm sticking with my statement.... :D

<D>
i had one too.......a 99 model
the speedo registered 120 ....i had it to 110 per speedo many times...
dont know why the difference ....and really dont care..

i am sticking by my word also !

....this is the last thing i have to say on this thread..

tsp

Top Bottom