'08 ST1300A Brake Pad Replacement - Any DIY'ers in South Florida (Broward or Dade)?

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
My rear brake pads seem to be completely worn out. The grinding noise started a couple of days ago. The front pads look like they're still in good shape. I don't know how to replace the pads myself and was wondering if there are any do-it-yourself(ers) in my area that might be willing to help me (or teach me) how to do it. I'm going to have to order the pads because my local dealer didn't have any in stock. I'd be more than happy to pay someone for some help. If no takers, then I'll probably end up paying the dealer anyway (who BTW I don't have much confidence in!). Thanks in advance for any help.

Bike
ST1100 1997
Re: '08 ST1300A Brake Pad Replacement - Any DIY'ers in South Florida (Broward or Dade

I've just done mine on ST1100 but unless you get me a return flight from UK I carnt make it, but they are simple to do , I serviced mine as well as the nissi breaks are prone to seezing up.:ukflag1:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Re: '08 ST1300A Brake Pad Replacement - Any DIY'ers in South Florida (Broward or Dade

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. The rear pads are really easy. (No, really.) There's a rubber cover on the pin that holds them in. Remove it, then use an allen wrench to take the pin out. The old pads can then be pulled out. Push the pistons back toward each side of the caliper with a screwdriver or a thin piece of wood or plastic (they'll need to be further in because the new pads are thicker than the worn out ones.) You can use a brush to clean around the pistons, if you like. The new pads push in (back to front) and the front edge of the pad backer fits into a recess in the caliper. You'll feel a little tension from the spring at the front of the caliper, and the hole at the back of the pad will line up with the hole in the caliper (that you unscrewed the pin from) when it's right. Clean off the pin (you can replace it if it won't clean well; I keep a spare around) screw it back in, and put the rubber cover back on the outboard side of the caliper. Be sure to pump the rear brake pedal to push the new pads back out, or you won't have rear brakes the first time you hit them. (I think everyone does this at least once...)

A shop manual helps (and everyone ought to have one,) but I'll bet you can do them from just the information here.

By the way - I like the Honda OEM pads. I tried some of the aftermarket metallic ones, and found that they were rather grabby (possibly due to residue on the rotors from the OEMs.) I'd rather buy pads than rotors, too, and the metallic aftermarket pads wear the rotor more than the OEM. Also, the OEM rears have what appears to be a little insulator behind the pad; this differentiates them from the fronts. The aftermarket suppliers give you the same pad for the front and rear. Less inventory for them, but I have to think that Honda has a reason for their system.

v8-7

Site Supporter

If you ride up here, we can do it .

Stan

OP
OP
Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA

Thanks Stan but one of the locals (from Hollywood) already responded via private message. We're going to install them this weekend. I had no idea they were completely worn out. The bike only has 18,900 miles. Must be all that stop-n-go driving in the city. I've been commuting to work pretty much every day since last fall. I wish I had checked the pads before I left for the tech event last month in Port Richey. I could of brought a set of pads with me then.

By the way, you're more than welcome to work on my bike anytime! :D

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

I had no idea they were completely worn out. The bike only has 18,900 miles. Must be all that stop-n-go driving in the city.
I's also do a check of the SMC to make sure it's not binding abit and/or clean up the pads tracks and brake pin to make sure the rear isn't sticking a bit causing early wear.

Top Bottom