09 Versys

Bike
'07 ST1300
Just got this yesterday. Traded the 2008 XR650L SuperMoto plus a little cash. This was first sold earlier this year but it is a 2009. It has 850 miles on it. So far, I am loving it, but not loving how hot it is right now. I really want to ride it bad. I would also like to get on it a little more than I have, but at 850 miles, it is still in the recommended break in period, so under 6000 RPM she stays.

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
Nice bike! I'm thoroughly enjoying that parallel twin in my 650R, and I would have a versys instead for the long travel suspension if I could have afforded a versys. Enjoy!
Check out the Versys forum. I saw a guy in Colorado who had one like this, and he was selling it for a really good price. You never know what you might find if you lurk there for a while. Seems like the 2009 models first time bought in 2011 is not uncommon.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I was seriously considering a Versys, but chose the 919 instead. I really like the quirky looks of those--especially being the R1200GS is too tall for me.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Congrats on your Versys. I've got an '08. PO set it up for sport touring with Givi hard bags and a Madstad adjustable shield bracket with a larger shield. I've added grip heaters, driving lights, power port, Stebel horn, crash bars, a Fuzeblock, and a nifty way to mount my zumo.

Zippy twin, great ergos, uncomplicated, and 300 pounds less than the ST. Nice to have a choice when going for a ride.

Enjoy yours!

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
Congrats on your Versys. I've got an '08. PO set it up for sport touring with Givi hard bags and a Madstad adjustable shield bracket with a larger shield. I've added grip heaters, driving lights, power port, Stebel horn, crash bars, a Fuzeblock, and a nifty way to mount my zumo.

Zippy twin, great ergos, uncomplicated, and 300 pounds less than the ST. Nice to have a choice when going for a ride.

Enjoy yours!
Love the mount. I was thinking about the adjustable brackets and a bigger shield. There is a guy in town who is willing to sell me his green hard bags for $700...I am real tempted.

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
I took a short ride on mine yesterday. I looked down and it showed 108. To damn hot for me!
I rode to 5 guys yesterday on the Versys. Some dummy in a black Honda was riding right up my tail. Bad enough it was 111 out, but then you have to deal with idiots on the highway too. I slowed down because he left me no room. If I went down, he was going to roll right over me. Then when he got on the next section of freeway, he raced around in front of me and slammed on the brakes. People just do not realize the danger they put you in and how serious the road games they play really are.

When I got to Moore, another bone head wearing a cowboy hat in a white jeep would not let me into the lane off the freeway. He had to make sure I did not get in front of him, and that turn signal apparently did not mean anything to him.

I do not know if it is the heat or just the people in cars here, but they were really unfriendly yesterday.

Greetings, I had a 2008 Versys, put 7500 miles on it. Added many fine farkles, Try the website out, it is full of good ideas. Since my weight is 160 lbs. I think I was too light for the suspension. I had spring preload at the minimum, and rebound also at minimum, and it still road stiff as hell. On an overnight trip with over 40 lbs. of gear it started to feel almost right. I didn't want to spend $600+ to change the schock and find it still not right, so we parted ways. Angus.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
There is a guy, on the ADV rider website...
There is a guy on the Versys website (Gary) who rode from Washington State to the bottom of South America and he's been touring down there for a couple years. Must be nice. Gary has a rear tire on the front...seems to work well.

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
Greetings, I had a 2008 Versys, put 7500 miles on it. Added many fine farkles, Try the website out, it is full of good ideas. Since my weight is 160 lbs. I think I was too light for the suspension. I had spring preload at the minimum, and rebound also at minimum, and it still road stiff as hell. On an overnight trip with over 40 lbs. of gear it started to feel almost right. I didn't want to spend $600+ to change the schock and find it still not right, so we parted ways. Angus.
I am about 6' 280lbs...so no problems there...sorry to hear it was not good for you.

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
I test-rode a blue Versys last week. Not sure what year it was, but it had about the same mileage as yours. Fun bike. More power than I expected. Congrats on your new ride.
Bones is right. 09 had that really cool blue and the apple green. Thanks for the well wishes. I found some green OEM hard bags and I am going to buy them Wednesday.

Hope you enjoy the Versys.

I owned an '08 very briefly, and while I liked some things about it, it was a hard bike for me to enjoy on anything but short rides.

OP
OP
HueyDriver
Bike
'07 ST1300
I have not had it on any really long rides, but I can see where the seat mught get a bit harsh after a few hundred miles. I may find out next week. I am off all week and thinking about riding all over Eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas, maybe some of Missouri and Texas.

BTW: I did debadge...looks awesome.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I did debadge
The PO debadged, and then I rebadged. In three years, no one that didn't already know it was a Versys has guessed what it is, and the only guesses (dozens of guesses) have been Italian brands. Maybe being red helps.

Consider sending your seat to Spencer for the LD upgrade. Big improvement for small money. The PO also threw in an Alaska Butt Pad which I like the option of using.

I've done several 400 and 500 mile days on my Versys, usually on secondary roads. It's not as smooth or refined as the ST, but at nearly 300 pounds lighter it's a whole different animal.

Attachments

Top Bottom