10,000 miles on Metz Z6's

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
Had my Metzeler Z6's taken off last week after logging 10K miles.

The rear looked like it had a good amount of meat left. The front actually wore more than the rear, and it had a slightly bizarre wear pattern.

But they made it to 10K!

STOC #
Mine currently have 11K on them, mostly 2 up, heavily loaded. They are pretty well shagged. Not down to the wear bars, but the handling has gotten pretty weird.

OP
OP
Computer Nerd

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
yeah, that's why I doffed mine, the handling was starting to suffer.

Besides, I didn't want to get caught 100 miles from home with steel showing. ;)

I think if you don't jackrabbit from stops, and you don't make a habit of hard braking you can get a lot more mileage Britts.

Bike
GL1800 2015
there are no wear bars on the Z6's,it's really hard to tell when the tire is done...all of the sudden your out of rubber!:eek:
that's the only thing I hate about those!
Mich.Pilot Roads get more than 10k also.....

STOC #
there are no wear bars on the Z6's,it's really hard to tell when the tire is done...all of the sudden your out of rubber!:eek:
that's the only thing I hate about those!
Mich.Pilot Roads get more than 10k also.....
Suggest you look again. There most certainly are tread wear indicators on the Z6. In fact their position is indicated by the letters "TWI" at the edge of the tread.

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
I put 9400 miles on a set this summer. With no wear bars you change them when the feel weird or you don't trust them anymore.

BygDawg had a set that were fine one day and gone the next when we were at the Motorcycle show in Atlanta in Feb. Scarry going from rubber to metal in a flash.

JD

I've never run anything but the OEM Bridgestones, or the Metz's or Avons worth the extra bucks? Fixin to order something this week.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
You have to pay attention with Z6's because of the lack of TWI's in the center of the tread but they disappear overnite only when not paying attention. I could gauge the amount of tread left by looking at the TWI's at the edge and interpolating the center thickness by the shape of the tire and the depth of the sipes nearest the center. I got about 6K out of Z6's but then I get about 6K out of every tire I run on the ST.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never run anything but the OEM Bridgestones, or the Metz's or Avons worth the extra bucks? Fixin to order something this week.
I haven't looked at prices lately but when I went to Avon Storms last winter the out the door price was cheaper than the OEM BS 020's. In my opinion the Storms are way better tires than the 020's. I have never seen a set of tires that wear so symmetrically, and we don't have to give up grip or feel to get it. Better for less = good. The Metzeler is also a great tire for the ST1300. Where I buy the Storms are $20-30 a set cheaper than Metzelers. Avons are the only ST tire I know of that offer a road hazard replacement warranty. I got a new rear from Avon after a non-repairable road flat at 1600 miles.

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'm a daily driver, so I need to economize a bit more on the hooliganism. :)
Seriously, I'm really impressed that you got 10k on the Z6's. I was just joking around in my previous post. You know, mask jealousy with humor :) With the little I've been riding the ST lately, I'm going to start measuring my tire life in "days since the tires were mounted", just to make me feel better.

STOC #
???
Since I'm not on the racetrack, I seem to have settled on the Z6/ME880 combination, seems to work well, mileage is around 8000, but I like to take them off before they get too gone. Tried the Avons, they worked well but got only 6000 miles out of them. Metzlers feel good through the life of the tires, I get them at a very good price, so I guess my search for the ultimate tire is over.
KZ

OP
OP
Computer Nerd

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
There was certainly no offense taken!

I guess tire wear can also depend upon the type of road surface an area has too. If you live somewhere where they groove the roads for rain, I'd imagine that would wear the tire (especially a softer sporting tire) much quicker.

Cheers!

Seriously, I'm really impressed that you got 10k on the Z6's. I was just joking around in my previous post. You know, mask jealousy with humor :) With the little I've been riding the ST lately, I'm going to start measuring my tire life in "days since the tires were mounted", just to make me feel better.

I am not familiar with the Metz Z6 but if it gives you good handling in rain and shine then I suppose 10K is excellent. But never sacrifice handling for longevity. Remember: it is YOU who's supposed to last long, not your tire!!

:)

Pete

OP
OP
Computer Nerd

Computer Nerd

full frontal nerdity
Ay, sure! That's why I got Z6's in the first place.

I just try and do what I can to not hasten their demise. :)

I am not familiar with the Metz Z6 but if it gives you good handling in rain and shine then I suppose 10K is excellent. But never sacrifice handling for longevity. Remember: it is YOU who's supposed to last long, not your tire!!

:)

Pete

10,000 miles on a set of z6..man didnt realize that was even possible. Im now at the end of my second set at 4500. Which I guess is excellent considering I only got 3500 out of the first. I guess I can attribute the extra mileage to the winter cold. I live here in nc near Deals Gap and surrounding areas. I got on site to see if anyone has run the conti road attacks and see if maybe the mileage is better.I know the z6 run a softer side compound and thats where mine go bald first,( its really hard staying upright in these curves as my footpegs can ,attest.) According to what I read, you guys seem to think the z6 is a good high mileage tire. I think Ill try something different this next round as I put these on in Sept. and now its time for replacements. Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Badkeltec

Klackey

Kevin
Bike
2005 ST 1300
I like the Avon Storms ....... I have about 8,000 on mine and they still seem in good shape.....I might get 3,000 more out of them depending on how they hold up getting near the end. I had some Metzlers on a criuser that just went poof, rubber to steel in the last 300 miles of a 3,500 trip.

Klackey

Kevin
Bike
2005 ST 1300
Ok I need to change my post above after checking my maintance note book.......... I have had my Storms for 6,000 miles and the rear is close to the wear bar and doing some weird cupping! I had just looked at them last week. I must have been looking at the tread on the side of the tire not the actual wear bar. Guess I will be looking for some new one too, soon........ like next week! Dang!

Top Bottom