13 won't start in gear

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
The bike's been this way since I've had it for the last 2 years plus but since we worked on the clutch bleed several weeks ago, it was decided to order a new clutch switch to remedy the problem. After installing the new switch it was still nada for start. I can hear the click of the switch but the starter does the same thing as when the clutch is not engaged and doesn't start. I noticed the old switch was still clicking as well so I don't think that's the problem. Also did a continuity test on the new switch and the new switch completes the circuit with the clutch engaged. I thought maybe the problem was in the terminal connections so sanded those down ever so slightly but no joy.

I'm stumped on what to try next. Everything else electrical is working fine, the side stand switch, the neutral light, etc. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
When was last time clutch switch worked and let you start in gear?
What happened between then and when it stopped working?

Measure clutch switch at ECU connector. Most likely wire’s broken somewhere in between switch and ECU.

Best troubleshooting (fastest and least expensive) is to test and measure 1st. The numbers will tell you exactly what’s wrong and how to fix it. No need for to waste time and money replacing perfectly-working parts with brand-new perfectly-working parts and nothing changes. This is 5-minute fix with multimeter.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
To start in gear, you need both the clutch microswitch and the sidestand switch to be working. Check for continuity to neutral on the green/white wire at the clutch switch with the sidestand up.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I believe the OP said that the clutch switch WAS clicking, and when he tested continuity, it WAS performing correctly, so the bushing and adjustable lever are probably not the issue.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Since the clutch switch checks out and the neutral light is working, it really points to the clutch diode. Pretty easy to check with a multimeter.

John

OP
OP
Hondafarian

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
To start in gear, you need both the clutch microswitch and the sidestand switch to be working. Check for continuity to neutral on the green/white wire at the clutch switch with the sidestand up.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!
this never occurred to me when I was testing the new switch. Even though the bike was on the centerstand, the sidestand was still down. Put it up and vroooommmm!

thanks to everyone that contributed suggestions. Glad the "fix" was the simplest....like me.
Happy New gear!

Top Bottom