1600 mile update on Russel Day-Long saddle - [review] for ST1300

Bike
2016 BMW K1600GT
It's taken about 2 years to dial-in comfort for my '05 ST1300 through many-a-farkle; Highway pegs, Heli-bars, New Clearview windsheild etc. etc. Finally last Fall, sent my stock ST1300 seat in to Russell-Day-long saddle. Leather inserts with vinyl sides, (see images attached). For those considering - hope this information be helpful.
I'm 6' 210# 34" inseam.
Initial review: After 800 miles of riding in the last two weeks:
First: Service from Russell: very good, but expect a 3-4 month wait. They call & email with detailed questions prior to fabricating my new saddle, they communicate very well - the whole process went smoothly.
Build quality is impressive - leather is beautiful, smells great and feels even better after 400 mile run in the saddle.
The seat is MUCH FIRMER than I was anticipating (after years of use from both the stock Honda seat and also a Sargent seat). However, before riding with the RusselI seat I was NEVER able to make it past 80-90 miles without a significant butt-break on either the stock Honda saddle or the Sargent saddle (found the Sargent better than stock, just not by much) . True to their (Russell) word - NO pain or sorenes - I happily sailed past the 90 mile mark no more nagging soreness & burning, however, interestingly I began to experience new comfort issues that I had not experienced in my past sub 90 mile butt-breaks: Helmet-forehead fatigue, shoulder & hand fatigue and a few other minor discomforts as I closed in on the 150-175 mile mark (with no stops in between) with that said it was time for that rest-stop break. Seating comfort: There is basically no room to move fore & aft - you're pretty much locked into one space on the saddle. Saddle height: I usually had my Stock Honda saddle set on the tallest setting. With the Russel saddle I found the seat height worked best on the lowest setting. Stop & go traffic is a little challenging with the Russell - the wings on either side of the saddle make it harder to set just one leg down at a traffic light - you're thighs are slightly suspended horizontally due to the saddle wings - extending one's leg down (at a stop-light) requires more effort that normal. I think for city driving or commuting I'll use my Sargent seat for rides under 50 miles , but the longer touring rides the Russel is the way to go.
In any event I was told to expect break-in to take between 1000-1500 miles so more time is needed in the saddle to fully appreciate what I'm sitting in. All-in-all I'm impressed with seat - it's great not needed to bail after 77-90 miles & just keep on riding. Hope this is helpful - Cheers!

Update: 1600 Mile report on my now broken-in Russell: - IT is the bomb. 100, 200 + miles & no stopping! (I feel) It's finally broken in - after riding a few other bike this weekend; '18 wing, '19 R1250 RT, those seats did not feel as good as the Russell. The Russell was one of the most $$$ upgrades to my ST - however, it is the best at removing that P.I.A. feeling I used to experience around the 75-100 mile mark (Even with a Sargent seat) I've also finally learned to adapt to the stop-n-go traffic detail of setting both feet down first. The seat-wings make it almost impossible to extend just one leg at a stop-light when you first come to a stop. It's 2nd nature now...

Attachments

• IMG_4438.jpg
    IMG_4438.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I had a Corbin on my first ST (an 1100) and sorely miss it on the 1300. Had a line on a spare saddle but don't know if it is still up for grabs. If I get it I'll be sending it to Russell.

Love your avatar btw.

Have to show it to my wife....

robofavo said:
The seat is MUCH FIRMER than I was anticipating (after years of use from both the stock Honda seat and also a Sargent seat)
Something I found with a Corbin on my V65S and factory seats of an Infinity J30 is that firm seating is deceptively comfortable where seating depth is limited and more so than a seemingly cushy factory seat.

And I know how much Russell riders love the seats but I just can't disassociate the image of a
ChairGiant_Leather5446_l.JPG

from the name Russell. I understand the wings are a big part of what makes it work and they make a Sport version. If I did a lot of 200+ mi days maybe I'd pony up for a Llam or Sport or something.

I had a Sport Russell and did not like it nearly as well as the 12 Day-longs that I have owned over a couple of decades. One big hint on this is that their comfort guarantee does not apply to Sport seats. I won't ride on anything other than a full leather Russell Day-long. I even have one on my scooter. I don't understand worrying about how they look. Anything that looks like a plaster cast of my butt is not going to have very good aesthetics, but with the latest stitching styles (crescents, large rectangle, etc.) vs. the early waffle pattern is in my mind not bad looking - especially single custom vs. dual custom. Regarding full leather, people may think vinyl better because it is "water-proof". Any custom seat will need a rain cover because the rain will soak through the stitching and wet the foam for days. I treat my leather Russells with AquaSeal leather treatment every six months and the leather itself will not be damaged if it gets wet. Leather, properly maintained will last the life of the bike. Ask yourself which will last longer - a real leather jacket or a vinyl leather-look (pleather) jacket.

Russells have their downsides, and the largest is getting a good foot-down when stopped because of the wings. The advantages outweigh it enough that I just deal with it. Long ride comfort is more important to me. I think you will acclimate to the stopping protocol enough that you will lose the desire to change seats for different missions. It is designed such that you sit in one position - the pocket. We move around on the seat to relieve hot spots. The Russell when properly fitted and broken it doesn't have any hot spots.

beemerphile said:
I don't understand worrying about how they look.
A mystery for the ages but the syndrome is near epidemic on a variety of things. But don't worry about me as I'm not worried about how they look. I just don't care for how they look. My days of getting plaster-casted are long past.

Good to hear your positive review on the Russel seat. Not all reviews are good though....

My seat was shipped back to me with hardly any pocket. I used it for about 2000 km's , one season for me, then contacted Russel. They arranged an "adjustment", I pay to ship it there, they pay to ship it back. Cost me about $100 to ship it.
The fabricater said I wasn't sitting down in the pocket. (there was no real pocket and why wasn't there a pocket made for me?) I also complained about the left wing being higher than the right and I was falling ahead easily. The first attempt was better than stock though ,so I thought we were on the right track.

When I received the next adjustment, the pocket was a lot larger which made me sit farther back and the left side was STILL higher. When I emailed and called several times, the fab guy said he thought I said RIGHT side??? Drove that for the season.....not happy. I felt we were going backward in comfort.

Third attempt to fix it and I'm trying it now this summer . I only have a few hundred km's on it and I have a bad feeling. Not comfy at all. Maybe it needs to be broken in. Each time the seat was returned to me , the initial comfort felt like they took out a layer of cushion. Much harder seat than before.

They were a class act to deal with and seemed like they wanted to help , but the results are not good. I did what ever they wanted and gave them what ever they asked for.

I was not made aware of the 18 month warranty period. My feeling was that they would work with me until I was comfortable. Since my riding season is short, it takes a year to actually get the seat "break in" so if I needed 2 adjustments.....

So it cost me a lot of money and I'm not on a seat yet that works for me....hopefully it will feel better as I ride.

I'm thinking about trying an Ultimate midrider seat with backrest on my new-to-me Goldwing. I've had 3 Russels and have been happy with them. But I don't want to wait until mid August to get my seat, don't want to do without my bike for 2-3 weeks, and I would like to keep my stock seat so I can sell the Ultimate seperately when I sell the bike. I don't know of any off the shelf seat comparable to the Russell for any bike other than the Wing.

I have a Russell sport for my Versys 300. I couldn't stand any increase in height. It isn't as good as a RDL, but combined with Moto-Skeevez, it is difficult to feel much difference.

I'm thinking about trying an Ultimate midrider seat with backrest on my new-to-me Goldwing. I've had 3 Russels and have been happy with them. But I don't want to wait until mid August to get my seat, don't want to do without my bike for 2-3 weeks, and I would like to keep my stock seat so I can sell the Ultimate seperately when I sell the bike. I don't know of any off the shelf seat comparable to the Russell for any bike other than the Wing.

I have a Russell sport for my Versys 300. I couldn't stand any increase in height. It isn't as good as a RDL, but combined with Moto-Skeevez, it is difficult to feel much difference.

What are your thoughts on the moto-skiveez. I have wondered about these a few times. TIA

I think they make a difference. I even use them on long drives so my sciatica doesn't act up. The seat on the Wing isn't that bad with the Moto-Skeevez.

After doing more research, I fould a thread on the Valk forum that had some interesting posts with Ultimate and Russell head to head comparisons. I think I'll stick with a Russel, but it is somethng I'll do over the winter.

Top Bottom