'18 Goldwing review (or ST vs GW)?

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Well, as I posted earlier, I was/am thinking about getting a new Goldwing for 2 up riding. My ST does a great job with 2 but it's way more fun solo.

So, I planned a weekend in Chicago riding with our friends. They, husband and wife, each own a Harley. I rented a 2018 (I think) Goldwing. Our friends picked us up at the airport, which is near where the rental place is. I was hoping for the DCT so I could see the difference to a manual transmission, and that's what I ended up with. I rode the bike 10 miles solo to our friends'place.

The following morning we jumped on bikes, they on their Harleys and me and my wife on the wing, and headed up to Stutgeon Bay, WI. We took the slow, more winding route, avoiding major highways, and that was around 250 miles. We stopped for food, gas, and a mandatory stop at the Harley dealer (I guess that's a thing Harley riders do?). Spent a few hours there then went to Marinette, WI (100 miles away), as that was the only place with rooms available, to spend the night. The following morning we headed back to Chicago, another 250 miles, got packed up for the flight home and I drove the last 10 miles solo again. If you're keeping score, that was around 600 miles 2up and 20 solo.

So here are my take aways from the experience. These may be a bit biased since I have way more miles on the ST:

1. Wing vs. ST: The GW is NOT an ST-1800. Sure, it's fun and peppy (if you can say that about an 1800cc behemoth) and I'm sure it's more maneuverable that previous models, but it doesn't give me the same enjoyment that the ST does. Again, maybe I'm biased.
2. Passenger riding: For 2 up riding, it wins hands down. My wife felt super-comfortable and safer riding on the GW. I can only assume that she would be even more comfortable with the 2021's (this was an '18, I think) new backrest ergonomics. As the driver, I was almost unaware that she was back there. I had the suspension dialed in for 2 plus bags, but even when I increase the suspension on the ST, I feel the difference.
3. Wind protection: Again, I think the GW wins here, maybe. Let me explain. When the screens are all the way up, both bikes offer similar wind protection but the ST might buffet a bit more (see point 4). When the screens are all the way down, the GW offers more wind protection as the wind seems to hit my upper face whereas on the ST it hits my face completely. I like the option of having the wind hit me completely (especially on a hot day) so that's why I say 'maybe'.
4. Aerodynamics: I might reluctantly admit that the GW wins here again. It just seems to be less bothered by large trucks going by that my ST does. Keep in mind that we were 2up, whereas I ride more solo on the ST, and my ST has a non-OEM top box that may be increasing the buffeting. The only time I really felt the wind was when were were getting a strong crosswind driving by a lake and it was more continuous.
5. Seat: Well my wife certainly gives the GW the win in seat comfort. She thought it was great. I, on the other hand, didn't find it much different than the ST. At the end of a full day's driving, I didn't feel more or less comfortable than I would have. But, see next point.
6. Seating posiiton: Ok, this is where, I feel the ST wins convincingly. Maybe I'm just used to mine, but I found the GW's handle bars to be too forwards and wide. Also, since you sit a bit more upright, I was very thankful that the rental came with a driver's back rest. Full disclosure: My ST has helibars installed.
7. Fuel Economy: I didn't really think I'd be bringing up this point, but the GW seems to win here too. Accorinding to the trip computer, I averaged around 49-50 mpg. On the ST, usually see 43 mpg, maybe 45, with the highest around 47 mpg. I do tend to ride the ST faster and harder than we were doing on this trip.

Modes: I kept it mostly in tour mode. That gave it plenty of power but still a pretty smooth ride. I'd use economy mode once in a while as it tended to smooth even more so it didn't learch when you rolled out the throttle. Sport mode was fun and I tried that a couple of times but it would stay in 6 gear even at 65-70 mph it seemed, so it wasn't that comfortable for a long ride.

So, overall, even though the GW wins most, I still prefer the ST. It just gives me, pound for pound (hp for hp?), more enjoyment than the GW. Will I be getting a GW? Yes. My wife really enjoyed it and as the say, "Happy wife, ... something or other". I will not, however, be trading/selling my ST. I just don't think what I would get for it would make enough of a dent to give it up. The '21s are still selling full price! I'm probably going to wait for the '22s to come out if I have to pay MSP anyway.

My first farkles/upgrades?
1. Back rest: It made the ride enjoyable. Years of playing contact sports when I was younger has given me back problems and it usually needs support. Especially in the GW riding posistion. I can handle the ST because it leans a bit more forwards and if you put your butt near the rear of the driver's seat, it throws you forwards a bit and forces you to lean more. I'll probably stick with the OEM as that was what was installed and it worked fine. I also liked the look.
2. Helibar risers: As I said, I found the handlebar to be too wide and forwards for my liking. I think the risers will adress this.
3. Foot pegs: The rental had the ones that kind of blend in with the bike so they are not immediatly noticible. I forget who makes them but they were great to use once in a while to stretch stiff knee joints (see point 1).
4. Passenger arm rests: Although my wife said she didn't need them, I think she'd enjoy them. The ones I'm thinking of, kuryaken I believe, fold down when you want to use them and fold up out of the way the rest of the time. This way she has the option.
5. Suspension: Possibly an aftermarket Traxxion Dynamics suspension upgrade. Although the suspension rode fine, and I never felt like it was bottoming out, I felt like I felt the sharp bumps. Like when you ride over a crack in the road or transitioning from a bridge to a road, you feel that double bump. It seemed more pronounced on the Wing. Could be just me, I'll have to research further.
6. Trunk relocation kit: This is a distant upgrade, if it happens at all, but I may look in to getting TD's relocation kit to give more room to my wife (if she wants it) and also to have the possibility of removing the trunck for a sportier look. But, since I probably won't be riding this bike much solo, It may not be necessary. I just think my Harley friends would be a bit less embarassed to ride with me. lol!

Used vs. new? I'm looking at the new ones for a couple of reasons. First I think the ergonomics for the rear passenger have been improved for 2021. Also, and this baffles me, I can fit both of our full-face helmets in my ST's after market top case but probably could not in a pre '21. *****? Honda should have made the larger trunk to begin with, IMHO!

DCT vs Manual? No brainer! Manual! "What?" I hear you say? Well, the DCT preformed admirably. Actually, it performs really well. As good or better than any automatic car transmission. It seemed to usually be in the right gear although it was a bit strange to feel it downshifting and engaging through gears as you slowed down, unlike a car where it just feels like it's coasting. I guess this keeps it ready incase you decide to accellerate again. Also, it's pretty cool when you're at a light and your mucking around with the radio or searching in the glove box that you don't have to put the gear in neutral and release the clutch. And when you're ready to go, you just give throttle and go. Then, not having to pull in the clutch again and put the bike back in gear? Child's play! But... I enjoy having a clutch. Plus, and this is just me, not being able to slip the clutch made slow speed maneuvers more difficult and unnerving. I know, I know, there are ways around it (rear brake & throttle) as I said, it's just me. I just enjoy it. It's one of the things I was happy about when I got back into riding after driving automatic cars for years.

So that's my take on the new Goldwing. I've only ridden it for a little over 600 miles and have many more miles on my ST (or my previous bikes). It was fun and well worth the experience.

So, TLDR; The Goldwing was a pleasure to ride. It did it's job as good as could be expected. Will I be getting one? Likely. Will I be selling my ST? Not on your life!
20210912_153802.jpg

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Thanks for a thorough review. I feel a Goldwing in my future for 2-up, but I haven't decided what my solo ride needs to be it it isn't my ST1300.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Very subjective decision. Good write up. GW is a very nice bike and great looking but for me, it’s just not worth £20k more than what I have in my garage now and many of the electrical farkles it has I just wouldn’t have/ pick (if there was a choice). This is what I sold prior to finding my 1100. I just couldn’t get past having so much money tied up in it. If it was truly amazing maybe I would have kept it, but it wasn’t.

FA5462E8-D2F1-4C94-9B5C-C93B32E518CC.jpeg

1EF74880-AE21-4BFE-A63D-AF074B4135FD.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2009 ST1300
Yeah when you see money sitting there and not a Picaso, that's for sure when it's time to get out from underneath it. Respect that.
But hey, what a look, I knew a guy that used to sit in his garage and stare at his '68 Camaro,

There's no doubt about that, if you don't really love it, don't buy it, it might hang around you for a long time, and you raise the interesting point, how much money can you stand to see tied up?

geez, where was I going with that?... Hamy?

I mean, let's be honest, that is one slick Honda. Great Pic.

I mean the blue one

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
I mean the blue one
Ta. I wasn’t able to test ride one so if you can try before you buy as the saying goes. See if you like it. I wanted to be blown away but wasn’t. Performance is ok in tour mode, but only ok. Didn’t even try the lower modes as tour was castrated enough for me. I rode in sport all the time because the bike felt much more alive and close to what I expected for an 1800. Torque was strong and it went well in sport. I’ve had DCT before, I liked it but there are compromises so chose a 6sp GW. The 6sp was nice.

Incrementally it was probably 5% better than my Pan in lots of ways but wasn’t as good in others.
Some examples of the small positives
clutch pull lighter,
less wind buffeting (but still buffeting none the less)
much easier to hoist on the main stand

Some things I wasn’t overly taken with, whilst the paintwork was nice and the plastics fitted very well together it did all feel a bit flimsy and everything is very easy to scratch. I guess that’s modern paint regs for you.

The engine was more noisy than I expected too, I expected a deep silky sewing machine whirr but it’s quite ‘clickety’ and a bit disappointing TBH. Once warmed up fully it improves but starting up from cold in the garage wasn’t exactly honey for the ears. Same with the exhaust note. So a theme here is ‘nice’. But fundamentally, for me, at that price, not a keeper.

To my mind, a rider buying a new 1100 Pan in 1995, or a new 1300 in 2005 wanted pretty much the same things as we do today, in 2021. But they don’t really exist anymore. Simple, robust, shaft drive all rounder bikes with good mpg, comfort, handling and reliability. Bike performance has NOT improved dramatically in fact it’s actually gone backwards due to Euro 5.

I took my Pan out for my first ride and within 1/2 a mile from leaving home knew it was the right choice. Just like it would have 20 years ago for its first owner when new. It just feels so familiar, like putting on a pair of your favourite slippers, so effortless, so competent, she rolls into corners so well and feels really planted.

As an aside I watched a YouTube video yesterday of a talented drag racer on both a new ZZR1400 and new Hayabusa being thrashed down the 1/4 mile by a mundane looking fully electric 4 door saloon called Tesla Plaid, seriously. Thrashed. I think motorcycle manufacturers have lost their way a bit over recent years, cars can easily out perform them nowadays so where do they go, what’s their USP? Just create solutions to problems no one cares about and throw gadgets at them instead? 6 axis IMU anyone? I think that’s why Royal Enfield have hit the bullseye with their 650’s and newer models like Himalayan that are selling by the bucket load. I tried a 650 Interceptor in the summer, to scratch that itch, really fun bike and for the money a steal.

My 1100 will do everything I want well, not lose any money, and put a great big fat smile on my face every time I take her out.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I love my 2018 DCT. I've had a ST1300, so I know the differences, first hand. There's not that much difference in weight, but the Wing carries it lower. I've surprised myself, a couple of times, being able to prevent dropping it, where I'm sure the ST would have taken a nap.

The Wing definitely needs bar risers. I installed the Heli Bar risers, within the first month.

I wouldn't call it sluggish, as they will do the 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds, and will have hit the top speed limiter before the finish line.

John

OP
OP
Nexus
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
And just the look of it, this is a used I think '18 listed on Vancouver CR at 23 Canadian that I'm not going to go and look at. Great read, thanks for the insight.
That paint scheme looks really nice. But I think only the bagger has it not the tour. So I'm gonna go with black.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think about adding one as a complementary bike to my Super Tenere, which I would keep for sure. Finding good used ones with the tour package and manual transmission is difficult, and not much of a savings over new. I suppose you stil save all the ancillary junk charges like dealer set up and stuff though

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Very subjective decision. Good write up. GW is a very nice bike and great looking but for me, it’s just not worth £20k more than what I have in my garage now and many of the electrical farkles it has I just wouldn’t have/ pick (if there was a choice). This is what I sold prior to finding my 1100. I just couldn’t get past having so much money tied up in it. If it was truly amazing maybe I would have kept it, but it wasn’t.

FA5462E8-D2F1-4C94-9B5C-C93B32E518CC.jpeg

1EF74880-AE21-4BFE-A63D-AF074B4135FD.jpeg
Sorry to thread drift, but I really have to say how much I love the blue on that ST. I like my wineberry red 2000, but if I had that blue as a choice, I would take that in a heartbeat!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A Tesla Plaid thrashing a motorcycle that isn't an AA Fueler shouldn't be a surprise. It could have been worse had that been a reasonably priced car. There's nothing a manufacturer of an ICE street bike can do about that. Some people think that's a problem. It is — an FWP — First World Problem. Shopping for a bike that will beat a Tesla isn't what I want a motorcycle for but that's me. I just wish the Teslas were better looking cars. But the people who buy them are pretty happy and that's all that counts.

Had I the room and were limited to just two bikes... An ST1800 Tour with the topbox removed or the throne downsized and maybe that new M-G. Or a scooter cycle. Limited to just one bike it's the ST for now.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
A Tesla Plaid thrashing a motorcycle that isn't an AA Fueler shouldn't be a surprise. It could have been worse had that been a reasonably priced car. There's nothing a manufacturer of an ICE street bike can do about that. Some people think that's a problem. It is — an FWP — First World Problem. Shopping for a bike that will beat a Tesla isn't what I want a motorcycle for but that's me. I just wish the Teslas were better looking cars. But the people who buy them are pretty happy and that's all that counts.

Had I the room and were limited to just two bikes... An ST1800 Tour with the topbox removed or the throne downsized and maybe that new M-G. Or a scooter cycle. Limited to just one bike it's the ST for now.
It’s not a FWP ST Gul more an observation. The point I’m making is that say even 20 years ago we still had bikes like the Hayabusa that could pretty much out perform all cars (outside of drag bikes or whatever), 194 mph top speed and immense acceleration. Now many many fairly ordinary saloon cars are properly quick, your BMW’s, Audi‘s, Tesla’s never mind ‘super cars’ like Lambo’s or Ferrari’s. Motorcycles always had the superior performance as their USP. No longer the case. How many times have you been ‘pressed’ lately by someone in a car travelling behind you that wants to overtake? I’d be surprised if you said never. Yes I agree 100% performance is not everything and TBH it’s pretty low down on my list but I think the lines are blurred nowadays. Motorcycles provide a completely different experience to cars, of course, but if you are the sort of person who just wants performance then a car can provide those kicks nowadays. The standard of driving nowadays is shocking.

Bike Manufacturers are loading more and more tech onto bikes, yes some of it is due to regulations but a lot isn’t. Do customers buy it because they want it or just because they have no choice? The ‘new’ Hayabusa is down on power compared to previous models so it’s plastered in gadgetry. In the real world no one is safely ever going to use it’s performance anyway but it’s a perfect example of what I mean. It’s like a distraction technique in a way. Gives bike journo’s in MSM something to write about I suppose ( on their heavily choreographed and controlled press launches). Go on any forum and many of these bikes have warranty issues. As we are specifically raising the new GW here’s an example, the headlamp is a sealed LED unit, looks amazing. LED’s last a long time compared to bulbs (fine) BUT what if one goes wrong or you get a stone chip that breaks the lens? They are about $2200 apparently, and that does not include pulling the bike to bits to fit it either. So, how many owners will be quite so happy about things when the Honda warranties run out? Want a 4 year old one now? I am a techno-phobe. I prefer simple things. We already lament on here about finding dealers that we trust to work on our ST bikes so fast forward and ponder that with a new GW? I genuinely hope all owners have positive experiences and no doubt many will. The more I thought about the long term ownership of that GW I had the more it bothered me so I got rid. I don’t have the answers. We are where we are.

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Want a 4 year old one now? I am a techno-phobe. I prefer simple things. We already lament on here about finding dealers that we trust to work on our ST bikes so fast forward and ponder that with a new GW? I genuinely hope all owners have positive experiences and no doubt many will. The more I thought about the long term ownership of that GW I had the more it bothered me so I got rid. I don’t have the answers. We are where we are.
This exactly…I’m a technophobe as well. Complexity equals unreliability (potentially). I really do like the tech of new vehicles but wonder how long it will last and how expensive will it be to fix when it does fail.

Bike
2000 ST1100
It’s not a FWP ST Gul more an observation. The point I’m making is that say even 20 years ago we still had bikes like the Hayabusa that could pretty much out perform all cars (outside of drag bikes or whatever), 194 mph top speed and immense acceleration. Now many many fairly ordinary saloon cars are properly quick, your BMW’s, Audi‘s, Tesla’s never mind ‘super cars’ like Lambo’s or Ferrari’s. Motorcycles always had the superior performance as their USP. No longer the case. How many times have you been ‘pressed’ lately by someone in a car travelling behind you that wants to overtake? I’d be surprised if you said never. Yes I agree 100% performance is not everything and TBH it’s pretty low down on my list but I think the lines are blurred nowadays. Motorcycles provide a completely different experience to cars, of course, but if you are the sort of person who just wants performance then a car can provide those kicks nowadays. The standard of driving nowadays is shocking.

Bike Manufacturers are loading more and more tech onto bikes, yes some of it is due to regulations but a lot isn’t. Do customers buy it because they want it or just because they have no choice? The ‘new’ Hayabusa is down on power compared to previous models so it’s plastered in gadgetry. In the real world no one is safely ever going to use it’s performance anyway but it’s a perfect example of what I mean. It’s like a distraction technique in a way. Gives bike journo’s in MSM something to write about I suppose ( on their heavily choreographed and controlled press launches). Go on any forum and many of these bikes have warranty issues. As we are specifically raising the new GW here’s an example, the headlamp is a sealed LED unit, looks amazing. LED’s last a long time compared to bulbs (fine) BUT what if one goes wrong or you get a stone chip that breaks the lens? They are about $2200 apparently, and that does not include pulling the bike to bits to fit it either. So, how many owners will be quite so happy about things when the Honda warranties run out? Want a 4 year old one now? I am a techno-phobe. I prefer simple things. We already lament on here about finding dealers that we trust to work on our ST bikes so fast forward and ponder that with a new GW? I genuinely hope all owners have positive experiences and no doubt many will. The more I thought about the long term ownership of that GW I had the more it bothered me so I got rid. I don’t have the answers. We are where we are.
Better get use to it. I have a neighbor who's daughter has a 50 cc motorcycle that has fuel injection and a cat and a computer that is throwing an error code. All this technology on a 50cc bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The point I’m making is that say even 20 years ago we still had bikes like the Hayabusa that could pretty much out perform all cars (outside of drag bikes or whatever), 194 mph top speed and immense acceleration. Now many many fairly ordinary saloon cars are properly quick, your BMW’s, Audi‘s, Tesla’s never mind ‘super cars’ like Lambo’s or Ferrari’s.
I take your meaning but my point is there's really nothing motocycle manufactures can do about that with respect to a Tesla as I first posted and the brands you mentioned. The rate of acceleration of an electric car is near instant and the KW the shorter that instant is. The Plaid tops out at just shy of 175mph with exotics often breaking 200mph.

All that aside I remember in the late '70s or early-mid '80 how a lot of young and probably new riders would get a Ninja ZX-11 or whatever and promptly run out of talent at high speed. It seems to me the big demand for super speed bikes has waned quite a bit. Manufacturers want to build what sells and aside from a few sport bikes I don't know that many riders who talks about going supersonic.

Have two or three manufacturers make one or two models each that can beat the Audis BMWs etc let alone a Plaid — and I see dead people. Riders specifically and lots of them. . A street bike with competitive acceleration and top end would have trouble staying underneath a lot of riders.

And then there's the price tag for all that performance. Just sayin' I don't think it's at all surprising the fastest street bikes can no longer out-accelerate the fastest cars or possibly even beat them at top end. Were it even practical to make that kind of bike how many riders would pay the price.

It's much easier to build a car that will push the acceleration and speed envelop than a bike and I believe there just isn't that much of a demand for that sort of bike even if it were possible to build a viable street bike that could. Maybe one day someone will build a 2s 0-60 bike that does 200mph that sells so well it has a 5yr or more run. I just don't believe that will happen.

Last edited:

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
I take your meaning but my point is there's really nothing motocycle manufactures can do about that with respect to a Tesla as I first posted and the brands you mentioned. The rate of acceleration of an electric car is near instant and the KW the shorter that instant is. The Plaid tops out at just shy of 175mph with exotics often breaking 200mph.

All that aside I remember in the late '70s or early-mid '80 how a lot of young and probably new riders would get a Ninja ZX-11 or whatever and promptly run out of talent at high speed. It seems to me the big demand for super speed bikes has waned quite a bit. Manufacturers want to build what sells and aside from a few sport bikes I don't know that many riders who talks about going supersonic.

Have two or three manufacturers make one or two models each that can beat the Audis BMWs etc let alone a Plaid — and I see dead people. Riders specifically and lots of them. . A street bike with competitive acceleration and top end would have trouble staying underneath a lot of riders.

And then there's the price tag for all that performance. Just sayin' I don't think it's at all surprising the fastest street bikes can no longer out-accelerate the fastest cars or possibly even beat them at top end. Were it even practical to make that kind of bike how many riders would pay the price.

It's much easier to build a car that will push the acceleration and speed envelop than a bike and I believe there just isn't that much of a demand for that sort of bike even if it were possible to build a viable street bike that could. Maybe one day someone will build a 2s 0-60 bike that does 200mph that sells so well it has a 5yr or more run. I just don't believe that will happen.
You are right those days are gone. We do have electric bikes now don’t we but they have not been popular (at all) and TBH I have never actually seen one, ever, other than in a magazine. Maybe circumstances and environmental pressures will force us to accept them more readily? Don’t know. Not sure. The GW’s are selling, but is that partially driven by of lack of availability though? If/when things get back to normal and stock levels improve will there be a glut of bikes? Remember there were still leftover 2018’s until not that long ago. I just think if Honda de-cluttered the 6th Gen GW and dropped the price they would sell more. I bought mine despite the tech not because of it. They put in the 6th gear and made the screen adjustable, gave it cruise control and that seemed to be all owners actually wanted improving. Anyhow, think that ship has sailed for me.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I find it very interesting that Bee went from a newest gen GW back to an ST…as good as they are, I guess I’ll stay with what I have since I know them well and they work well, despite no 6 cyl., DCT, all the bells and whistles, etc. it doesn’t mean I don’t like GoldWings, just right now, not for me.

OP
OP
Nexus
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
I find it very interesting that Bee went from a newest gen GW back to an ST…as good as they are, I guess I’ll stay with what I have since I know them well and they work well, despite no 6 cyl., DCT, all the bells and whistles, etc. it doesn’t mean I don’t like GoldWings, just right now, not for me.
I, finally, got to ride my ST again (I've been out of town) and all I could think of "Man, is this fun!"

Actually, I also thought, "Boy, this thing feels small!" :)

Top Bottom