180/55 r17 angel gt vs shinko raven (on my st1300)

any opinions? yes i know its not the oem size. it will fit from what i understand. i just like the price and longevity of the shinko raven and never have had issues with it on my 600rr. im debating maybe going with the angel gt tho...

the raven is more car tire shaped so i feel like it would be similar to a darkside mod. also are darkside mods a thing on these bikes? the thought just crossed my mind. probably would never put an actual car tire on my bike tho. :confused:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I used the Shinko Verge for years and was never disappointed, I am curious to get some insight about the Raven on the ST.
Would be great to get 15K instead of the usual 6/7K I average on the back tire. Like you, I would not put a car tire even if a lot of people are going darkside on the ST.
I wish to be able to do some long ride without having to worry for a replacement on the road, these bikes are eating rubber like cookies.

OP
OP
sportbikey
I used the Shinko Verge for years and was never disappointed, I am curious to get some insight about the Raven on the ST.
Would be great to get 15K instead of the usual 6/7K I average on the back tire. Like you, I would not put a car tire even if a lot of people are going darkside on the ST.
I wish to be able to do some long ride without having to worry for a replacement on the road, these bikes are eating rubber like cookies.
well now that someone else thinks it could be a good idea ill probably try it. but yeah the raven does great on my 600rr cuz i ride fast on the interstate and yeah the st had a softer tire and before i knew it it was gone cuz i tend to go high speed in a straight line on the interstate and was wondering if the raven could be a decent option! thanks for the response!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I ran a set of Ravens (not on an ST), and they wore evenly and longer than I thought..... about the same wear as Roadsmart 3's. Never heard too many good comments about the Verges, in fact, the opposite. Anyway, keep the pressures where they're supposed to be and you'll be fine. Actually, go 44 psi rear.
Running Angel GT's at the moment...... part way done, liking them too.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I've had several rear Ravens on the ST (not available for the front wheel size). I have been very happy with them, especially for the price. I get around 10,000-12,000 miles per rear tire.

Bike
2010 ST1300
also are darkside mods a thing on these bikes? .... probably would never put an actual car tire on my bike tho.
Go to the blue band at the top of this page, Forums > Technical > Wheels, Tires > Darksiders

Read a bunch of the threads there I suspect if you read enough of them you will change your opinion of car tires, but whether they are for you or not is ultimately up to you.

OP
OP
sportbikey
I ran a set of Ravens (not on an ST), and they wore evenly and longer than I thought..... about the same wear as Roadsmart 3's. Never heard too many good comments about the Verges, in fact, the opposite. Anyway, keep the pressures where they're supposed to be and you'll be fine. Actually, go 44 psi rear.
Running Angel GT's at the moment...... part way done, liking them too.
The 180/55 17s?

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
i had a raven on the rear and a verge on the front of my ST 1300 and the only thing bad i can say about them is that they slowed the steering response compared to the angle GT's that were on previously and compared to the road smart 3's that are on now

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Getting this confirmation that people are using this size on the ST makes me so happy. I just hate seeing that narrow OEM size tire on the back of my bike lol.
I don't have an ST, lol..... these were run on an FJR, Versys 1000, which has that as standard size..... You'd have to ask others about running oversize, but I did run 190/55 mostly on the FJR's. Except for the car tire for 3 years..... all good.

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ravens on the rear of my ST 1300 in the stock size usually lasted 15,000 to 16.500 miles.....My CTX 200/50 size Raven only lasted 9,000 miles.....Russ.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
i had a raven on the rear and a verge on the front of my ST 1300 and the only thing bad i can say about them is that they slowed the steering response compared to the angle GT's that were on previously and compared to the road smart 3's that are on now
Can you tell me why you went with road smart 3’s?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
The 180/55 17s?
I have used this size for the past 4 or 5 seasons,,, and am quite happy with it. But just want to point out,, that as far a traditional moto tire install goes,,, this is as wide as I would choose to fit to the 5.5" wide rear wheel. Also,,, always choose GT or HWM spec,, multi carcass tire design. IMHO,,, this gives a more stable sidewall under higher loads. Keep the cold pressures at 42+ psi. I notice my pressures knocking on 50psi,,, when using tpms in hot weather. The right tires really show their worth in these conditions. Let us know what your choices and results ultimately are,,,, cheers,, CAt'

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
Can you tell me why you went with road smart 3’s?
i was just trying different tires and now that the road smart3's are worn out i've got all winter to see what i want to try out next spring. when i first got the bike there were Bridgestones on it ( 021 or 023, i don't remember which now ) but i think they were old cause those tires never had traction. of the tires i've tried i like the angle GT's best so far

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
i was just trying different tires and now that the road smart3's are worn out i've got all winter to see what i want to try out next spring. when i first got the bike there were Bridgestones on it ( 021 or 023, i don't remember which now ) but i think they were old cause those tires never had traction. of the tires i've tried i like the angle GT's best so far
Thanks for the reply. Why do you like the Angel GT’s best?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I've had several rear Ravens on the ST (not available for the front wheel size). I have been very happy with them, especially for the price. I get around 10,000-12,000 miles per rear tire.
I have a raven on the back of my bike now with over 10k on it that needs to be changed. I only got 8k on a verge. I run a verge on the front.

Top Bottom