1988 Honda Hurricane 600F

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
So I picked up one of these dirt cheap primarily for my fiance' who likes sport bikes.
It has 27,xxx miles on it and appears to have been taken care of over the years. I have all the serivce records and they indicate no major issues.

Anyone here ever owned one and if so do you any insight on things to look out for with it other than it is an older bike.
Furthermore any insight to a good forum for gathering technical information ? I have found www.600RR.net but that deals more so with newer 600 models.

I appreciate any insight anyone may have.
Joe

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I don't have it any more but I had an 87 for 10 years. Sold mine at 50K, never had any real issues with it. Over the years I had mine about all I remember having for issues were 1 fork seal, a few chains, and 1 plug cap had to be replaced.

I jsut sold my 87 600F. I stopped riding it when I got the ST.

Fast and fun bike. Just at 6'2" was uncomfortable after more than 25miles.

Did a few track days on it and the old sucker kept up with the newer ones just fine.

Never had any issues with it but it only had 18k when I sold it so barely broke in.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have a friend in Chi who bought a new 87 while in college. He still has it with many miles. It has suffered all the vagaries that can be inflicted, including a couple seasons of club racing. It's been ridden, commuted, raced, dropped, and generally abused. Don't know how many miles it has on it but has never suffered a mechanical failure more serious than throwing the master link on the chain (in far remote Wisconsin while on a good group ride. :D)

Anyhoo, seems with only a modicum of regular maintenance, the Hurrican will run forever. Kind'a like an ST. :D

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I had an 89' that I sold with 20,000 miles on it - no problems whatsoever. You might listen for cam chain tensioner noise. No school like the old school - I miss that bike.
Here's one in all of it's red white and blue glory....

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/965702/

Bike
2003 ST1300
A black and red '87 Hurricane was the first bike I ever owned. Put about 24,000 miles on it and absolutely loved it. Never had any issues with anything that I can remember, other than a couple of fork seals that had to be replaced.

OP
OP
Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
Thanks for all the great comments.I finally was able to pull the plastic and get a look around. I steam cleaned the engine and made a list of any issues I found, which were few for a bike 21 years old with 27xxx miles.
What I did find and will address are things like hose's,grommets, fluid changes and the rear pads are shot. For about $300.00 I could update the front forks and the rear spring. I'm just not sure I'm going to go that route or not yet.
Over all the bike appears to have been well maintained by the two previous owners both woman who owned it.

I did find the CBR forum so thank you.

Pat,
I will post some pictures this weekend. This model is dark gray with red stripes and red rims.

Joe

Top Bottom