1991 28 amp oil leak fix.

My name is Justin 41yrs old, Iowa/Nebraska native.
I'm new to the forum, new ST owner (91), back to riding after 15 years out of the saddle.
I did some trading and ended up with a 91 ST1100, 6750 miles, but has had very little maintenance from the looks of it.
Pretty sure it had the original tires, left front fork seal blown, rear shock was way weak, among other things... The dreaded 28 amp alternator was leaking around where the connector goes through the housing.

So I started looking into the 40 amp upgrade. The kits are not easily sourced from what I could find on the web. They can be pieced together, but the adapter plate is nowhere to be found without scouring these forms for the off chance of someone having custom cnc'd a batch.

So, I decided to try and repair the one I had, it still worked, just leaky. I don't plan to do any winter riding so no plans for heated gear etc the 28amp will be powerful enough for my riding. Enough of a leak that I didn't just want to top off the bike every so often, I was worried about oil on the back tire, not my idea of a good time.

Removal of alternator was a pain. Tear the bike apart, then take some more stuff out of the way.

A tip that helped me get the alternator through the frame. After you have the gas tank and swing arm off remove the ground wire and starter wire from the left side of the bike, these are kind of tucked up behind the exhaust and under a heat shield. Then remove the rear brake hose from the frame cross member and bend the left tab up out of the way. I don't like to bend stuff and bend back, but it made such a difference in letting the alternator pass through the frame. The 60* tilt/turn helps the alternator pass through as well.

Drain the oil out of your bike first. You'll thank yourself later. I didn't and my garage floor looks like a junior version of the Exxon-valdes spill. Plus you need to drain the oil to do the lewis pin method.

All of this is mentioned in other posts I'm sure, here's where my repair differs a bit I think.

Once I got the alternator removed, I thought I should remove the stator windings so I could access where the connector passed through the housing. The windings would jiggle inside the housing but would not pop out. I would soon find out why... I threaded some bailing wire through the loops in the windings clamped the bailing wire in my vice and began to tap gently on the housing to free the stator windings. A few raps later and the windings are free of the housing. Then I noticed that the windings were soldered to the connector and I had just really broken some stuff.

After a very thorough cleaning of the housing and windings I attempted to pop the connector out of the housing. It was in there tight, after snapping one little corner of the connector I decided to go for plan b. As in plan jb...weld. I mixed up a fair amount of the gray goodness and carefully laid it inside the housing, making sure to cover the connector very well but not far enough to the tabs that the windings solder to, for fear of a short and an electrical/oil fire out on the road.
After the first batch of jb had set up enough not to run, I moved to the outside of the housing. Mixing up a batch and applying it liberally to the outside where the wires poke into the housing. I screwed the metal tab/protector into place while the jb was still quite runny. Let it set overnight, checked the next morning, it had set up fine and looked like it would hold.

After work I took the housing and wiring downstairs to see if I could fit/jam my soldering iron far enough into the gap to solder the 3 winding wires back to the tabs on the connector. There was just enough room to get the job done. 2 of the wires fit right in, and I looked like the 3rd was in place as well, but it was riding the top corner of the tab, not wanting to de solder and re solder I just laid a good amount of solder onto the 3rd wire and connector then called it good.

Getting the alternator back in was a real pain. I used thin stainless steel wire rope and a 1/4 cotter pin in place of the lewis pin. I would suggest getting the real deal. The method I used worked, but was a real pain to get the alternator gears to mesh with the drive gear well. I tried to use the 4 mounting bolts to line it up and walk it in. I was met with great resistance. I backed everything out and took the alternator out, looked in the crank case to see if there were any witnesses marks that I could tell where it was binding up. Nothing. I readjusted the cotter pin and gave it another go, this was probably the 6th time I had the alternator in and out of the frame, I was frustrated. This time I was able to wiggle the stinking thing in and I could tell it was feeling better than it had the other times I attempted. I again used the bolts to help keep it aligned and not back out so I wouldn't have to start over. It walked right in nicely. It took a very stout yank on the wire to dislodge the pin from the alternator gears, I ended up wrapping the wire around a prybar and giving a very swift strong yank with both hands. The wire and pin both popped right out and flew right out of the oil drain hole. A relief washed over me.

I buttoned up the alternator and began taking the fuel pump out of the gas tank for inspection of the tank and filter screen, etc. Everything looked pretty good, couple tiny little spots of surface rust, no crummy bummies, or weird gunk in the tank. I hit the pump and screen with some parts cleaner and using a new tank gasket buttoned it up. New fuel filter in place of one the previous owner had cobbled in line.

Hooked the electrical connections back together using dielectric grease. The bike fired right up from the gas left in the carbs. A little sputtering for a few moments for the fuel lines to prime etc, but she runs! The headlight is nice and bright as well, seems brighter, but that may be my mind playing with me. Will put a volt meter on the battery and see what it says.

I put a new progressive 465 rear shock on, I didn't like to spend that kind of $$ but it's probably worth it. I'm 320# and having adjustable preload is nice. I have the rear of the bike put back together, but got in a hurry and didn't put the new brake pads on. Should I do a new rotor? Or just run the new pads?

Front forks are off the bike I am going to use 10wt oil and cut a little longer spacer for the left fork to give a bit stiffer ride, due to my weight and wanting a bit of a "sportier" ride, less dive under braking etc. I will install new pads up front when this goes back together. Planning on brake fluid flush as well.

New Dunlop roadsmart tires installed. Local bike shop did it for $20 cash per tire. I thought that was pretty good. I had to take the old tires with me for that price though.

Well, that is about it for now. Looking forward to getting the old gal out on the road before the weather gets too cold.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. Sounds like the bike is in good hands and you have a handle on fixing it. Regarding the brake pads, it's hard to advise you w/o pictures of the wear pattern on the pads. For the rotor you should mike it and check what you have against Honda's specs. No doubt someone will chime in w/ dimensions. I always put in new parts because I don't want the bike to tell me when it needs routine service for wear items like brake pads. If I have a couple of thousand miles of wear left on the old pads, and know I'll be riding 4 to 5K miles during our short riding season, I go ahead and put in new ones. BTW, most of the guys here will advise you to use OEM brake pads.

This might give you some ideas...

There is someone on the website who had a number of the adapter plates for the 40 amp alt. made up and he is selling them to folks. Do a search for 40 amp upgrade using the search function in the blue band atop this page - right end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thanks for the reply. I know I should get new rotors and just be done with it. I have a Honda manual and a clymer manual, I'm sure it says in one or both what the tolerances are. The pads on the bike look to have plenty of life left but may be original and should be replaced. I bought ebc hh pads. If I end up getting new rotors I'll probably do OEM Honda pads. I'll search for the adapter, maybe start getting parts ready for the upgrade. I'm not in a rush to do that again, but having done the work once makes it so much easier, not having to figure out all the small details that make a big difference. Thanks again.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Sounds like you had an interesting honey-moon phase with your new ride.

Consider doing the red wire bypass if it hasn't been done already.

Curious to know why you suspect that you need new brake rotors. It would be highly unlikely that you need new brake pads with less than 7,000 miles let alone new rotors.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Question, as I have not seen one:

Does oil leak between the wires and the rubber block, or between the rubber block and the engine?

Bike
VStrom 650
The wear limits will be stamped on the discs but they should be good for 10 x that mileage.
Pads should be good for a while too.
I replaced a rear disc at around 50,000 for suspected cracks. It gets hot back there.
Upt.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Good luck with the bike. I love ours.
We bought it as a garage queen 9 years ago with just 14000 miles on it. Got it from an HD dealership where it had been traded in on a new Harley. They had changed the fluids and got it running, the story was the PO had kept it in his garage for 20 years. We rode it for a few months to check for problems and found few. Got a Honda manual and did ALL the recommended inspections, lubes, fluids, proper greases and timing belt. Found a lot that wasn't up to Mr Honda's expectations. Worked just fine, til two years back when it leaked a gallon or so of gasoline onto the garage floor. At that point, I took it apart again and replaced all the squishy parts (hoses, vents, etc) rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel system and a few other precautions. If you are interested, check out 'Honda St1100 Refurbishment' or some such in the search function, there are several, including mine. Some of your hoses are 32 years old. Just a caution.
I keep an eye on the alternator, it's original, works fine and doesn't leak anywhere. DO keep an eye on the wiring in the battery area every opportunity, just in case, for evidence of overheat, corrosion, loose connections and such.

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
I still have a 40A alternator for sale if you decide to go that route.

OP
OP
Question, as I have not seen one:

Does oil leak between the wires and the rubber block, or between the rubber block and the engine?
Mine was leaking where she wires enter the stator housing. At the rear of the alternator. I'm pretty sure the 2 big o-ring seals were still on, I replaced them since I had it all apart.

OP
OP
Sounds like you had an interesting honey-moon phase with your new ride.

Consider doing the red wire bypass if it hasn't been done already.

Curious to know why you suspect that you need new brake rotors. It would be highly unlikely that you need new brake pads with less than 7,000 miles let alone new rotors.
When I got the bike I wasn't sure if the pads were the original ones, at 30+ yrs old, best practice to replace the pads. The rotors are fine.

OP
OP
Good luck with the bike. I love ours.
We bought it as a garage queen 9 years ago with just 14000 miles on it. Got it from an HD dealership where it had been traded in on a new Harley. They had changed the fluids and got it running, the story was the PO had kept it in his garage for 20 years. We rode it for a few months to check for problems and found few. Got a Honda manual and did ALL the recommended inspections, lubes, fluids, proper greases and timing belt. Found a lot that wasn't up to Mr Honda's expectations. Worked just fine, til two years back when it leaked a gallon or so of gasoline onto the garage floor. At that point, I took it apart again and replaced all the squishy parts (hoses, vents, etc) rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel system and a few other precautions. If you are interested, check out 'Honda St1100 Refurbishment' or some such in the search function, there are several, including mine. Some of your hoses are 32 years old. Just a caution.
I keep an eye on the alternator, it's original, works fine and doesn't leak anywhere. DO keep an eye on the wiring in the battery area every opportunity, just in case, for evidence of overheat, corrosion, loose connections and such.
I have radiator hoses on the way, new fuel line, a new fuel pump (airtex) and filter sock, carb rebuild kits, new steering bearings, just about everything but the timing belt... I did new spark plugs, new in line fuel filter, washed all the old grease out of the wheel bearings, packed new high temp marine grease in them new seals on them. I tried to pull the wheel bearings but they were quite stubborn. My cheapie bearing puller was not up to the task. New swing arm bearings. Moly paste everywhere it's supposed to go per the shop manual. New seals/o-rings on everything I took apart. Along with all the work mentioned in my original post. Couple of weeks worth of overdue maintenance after work and on the weekends.
Took it out for a maiden voyage tonight and was pretty impressed by the old gal. My oldest son went with he's 10, he said "it's fun" that was worth the mild frustration and the time. I romped on it a couple times he said "when you were going fast I thought that's a nice breeze." I got a pretty good kick out of that one. I can see why these bike are so well loved. It's got a ratty old Corbin seat on it, still pretty comfortable, but I took the plunge on one of those french made seats, Serille? Spelling on that is probably way off. They don't work during August according to the email sent to me by the company, so they will hopefully start working on it soon. $500 for the seat, plenty of $$ in my opinion, but used OEM ones are $200 plus $100 to ship, so I pulled the trigger. I'll keep everyone posted on what I think.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

OP
OP
I still have a 40A alternator for sale if you decide to go that route.
I'll think about it. I did a test ride tonight with a couple higher rpm pulls and no leaks apparent when I got home.

[hello
I made a batch of adapter plates . They are 80.00 with free shipping. Thinking you may have bought one.
1701613594706.jpeg
QUOTE="1991 ST New To Me, post: 2455058, member: 59013"]
I'm new to the forum, new ST owner (91), back to riding after 15 years out of the saddle.
I did some trading and ended up with a 91 ST1100, 6750 miles, but has had very little maintenance from the looks of it.
Pretty sure it had the original tires, left front fork seal blown, rear shock was way weak, among other things... The dreaded 28 amp alternator was leaking around where the connector goes through the housing.

So I started looking into the 40 amp upgrade. The kits are not easily sourced from what I could find on the web. They can be pieced together, but the adapter plate is nowhere to be found without scouring these forms for the off chance of someone having custom cnc'd a batch.

So, I decided to try and repair the one I had, it still worked, just leaky. I don't plan to do any winter riding so no plans for heated gear etc the 28amp will be powerful enough for my riding. Enough of a leak that I didn't just want to top off the bike every so often, I was worried about oil on the back tire, not my idea of a good time.

Removal of alternator was a pain. Tear the bike apart, then take some more stuff out of the way.

A tip that helped me get the alternator through the frame. After you have the gas tank and swing arm off remove the ground wire and starter wire from the left side of the bike, these are kind of tucked up behind the exhaust and under a heat shield. Then remove the rear brake hose from the frame cross member and bend the left tab up out of the way. I don't like to bend stuff and bend back, but it made such a difference in letting the alternator pass through the frame. The 60* tilt/turn helps the alternator pass through as well.

Drain the oil out of your bike first. You'll thank yourself later. I didn't and my garage floor looks like a junior version of the Exxon-valdes spill. Plus you need to drain the oil to do the lewis pin method.

All of this is mentioned in other posts I'm sure, here's where my repair differs a bit I think.

Once I got the alternator removed, I thought I should remove the stator windings so I could access where the connector passed through the housing. The windings would jiggle inside the housing but would not pop out. I would soon find out why... I threaded some bailing wire through the loops in the windings clamped the bailing wire in my vice and began to tap gently on the housing to free the stator windings. A few raps later and the windings are free of the housing. Then I noticed that the windings were soldered to the connector and I had just really broken some stuff.

After a very thorough cleaning of the housing and windings I attempted to pop the connector out of the housing. It was in there tight, after snapping one little corner of the connector I decided to go for plan b. As in plan jb...weld. I mixed up a fair amount of the gray goodness and carefully laid it inside the housing, making sure to cover the connector very well but not far enough to the tabs that the windings solder to, for fear of a short and an electrical/oil fire out on the road.
After the first batch of jb had set up enough not to run, I moved to the outside of the housing. Mixing up a batch and applying it liberally to the outside where the wires poke into the housing. I screwed the metal tab/protector into place while the jb was still quite runny. Let it set overnight, checked the next morning, it had set up fine and looked like it would hold.

After work I took the housing and wiring downstairs to see if I could fit/jam my soldering iron far enough into the gap to solder the 3 winding wires back to the tabs on the connector. There was just enough room to get the job done. 2 of the wires fit right in, and I looked like the 3rd was in place as well, but it was riding the top corner of the tab, not wanting to de solder and re solder I just laid a good amount of solder onto the 3rd wire and connector then called it good.

Getting the alternator back in was a real pain. I used thin stainless steel wire rope and a 1/4 cotter pin in place of the lewis pin. I would suggest getting the real deal. The method I used worked, but was a real pain to get the alternator gears to mesh with the drive gear well. I tried to use the 4 mounting bolts to line it up and walk it in. I was met with great resistance. I backed everything out and took the alternator out, looked in the crank case to see if there were any witnesses marks that I could tell where it was binding up. Nothing. I readjusted the cotter pin and gave it another go, this was probably the 6th time I had the alternator in and out of the frame, I was frustrated. This time I was able to wiggle the stinking thing in and I could tell it was feeling better than it had the other times I attempted. I again used the bolts to help keep it aligned and not back out so I wouldn't have to start over. It walked right in nicely. It took a very stout yank on the wire to dislodge the pin from the alternator gears, I ended up wrapping the wire around a prybar and giving a very swift strong yank with both hands. The wire and pin both popped right out and flew right out of the oil drain hole. A relief washed over me.

I buttoned up the alternator and began taking the fuel pump out of the gas tank for inspection of the tank and filter screen, etc. Everything looked pretty good, couple tiny little spots of surface rust, no crummy bummies, or weird gunk in the tank. I hit the pump and screen with some parts cleaner and using a new tank gasket buttoned it up. New fuel filter in place of one the previous owner had cobbled in line.

Hooked the electrical connections back together using dielectric grease. The bike fired right up from the gas left in the carbs. A little sputtering for a few moments for the fuel lines to prime etc, but she runs! The headlight is nice and bright as well, seems brighter, but that may be my mind playing with me. Will put a volt meter on the battery and see what it says.

I put a new progressive 465 rear shock on, I didn't like to spend that kind of $$ but it's probably worth it. I'm 320# and having adjustable preload is nice. I have the rear of the bike put back together, but got in a hurry and didn't put the new brake pads on. Should I do a new rotor? Or just run the new pads?

Front forks are off the bike I am going to use 10wt oil and cut a little longer spacer for the left fork to give a bit stiffer ride, due to my weight and wanting a bit of a "sportier" ride, less dive under braking etc. I will install new pads up front when this goes back together. Planning on brake fluid flush as well.

New Dunlop roadsmart tires installed. Local bike shop did it for $20 cash per tire. I thought that was pretty good. I had to take the old tires with me for that price though.

Well, that is about it for now. Looking forward to getting the old gal out on the road before the weather gets too cold.
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
[hello
I made a batch of adapter plates . They are 80.00 with free shipping. Thinking you may have bought one.
1701613594706.jpeg
QUOTE="1991 ST New To Me, post: 2455058, member: 59013"]

[/QUOTE]
Yes I am interested. Sorry for the late reply, it's our busy season at work, late nights... $80 shipped is a pretty fair price. What payment method do you prefer? I am thinking a lot of folk do PayPal on the forum? Shipping would be to Iowa 51503.
Thanks so much, Justin.

Yes I am interested. Sorry for the late reply, it's our busy season at work, late nights... $80 shipped is a pretty fair price. What payment method do you prefer? I am thinking a lot of folk do PayPal on the forum? Shipping would be to Iowa 51503.
Thanks so much, Justin.
[/QUOTE]
No problem I use PayPal user name citygear@aol.com 80.00 with free shipping
ride safe John

Top Bottom