1994-05-27 Derek Catt

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Today is the 13th anniversary of Derek's passing. He was killed on a 2-lane road near Seneca, South Carolina in the early evening. He was doing what he loved.

He was only 24 but had a packed a full life time into those few short years.

When youthful exuberience meets middle-age myopia, disaster happens.

I still miss my boy.

Last edited:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Re: In memory of Derek Catt

George,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Burying a child has to be the hardest thing for a parent to do. No amount of time can heal that wound.

John

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #

I was going for a ride when I stopped in to check the forum. I'll be sure to think of y'all.

Was Derek on a long ride in SC, or did y'all live there at the time?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I think he would have been proud of what he started, wish I could have had the chance to meet him but if he's anything like his father, he's good people.

Bike
04ST1300A
STOC #

From what I've read, he was a special individual.

You do a good job of keeping his memory alive George.

--Bryan
04ST1300A
:04biker:

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I was going for a ride when I stopped in to check the forum. I'll be sure to think of y'all.

Was Derek on a long ride in SC, or did y'all live there at the time?
He was on spring break from NIU, down there for an HSTA rally. He was supposed to do the Keith Code school at Road Atlanta the following weekend, then meet me in Asheville to work at the first Honda Hoot.

The previous year he rode Route 66, following ALL the little segments from Chi to CA. He did quite a bit of LD riding, never documented any, tho.

There's a write-up about him in STuff #7, I think. You can find it at STeinar's st1100.org site.

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts. Now...

GO RIDE!!

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Life is short... Just consider him out scouting all the good roads which you and him will ride when you meet again... I can't imagine how hard it is to do without him... I've got a 4-year-old and I don't know what I would do if something happened to him... You've got my vote for dad-of-the-year...
:cool:

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #

A moment of silent reflection does not seem adequate...but I offer it anyway.

Godspeed Derek; you are obviously missed by many. I wish I had the chance to cross tire tracks with him, but am glad I have with you George.

All the best,

-Geo

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

Rode with George today (Sunday), we did some of the Santa Monica Canyons. Besides George there were 3 other STOCers. Me Gunnar Reed and Greg M. George said Derek would have wanted us to GO RIDE, so we did. I hereby declare today's ride DerekSTOC. :bow1:

STOC #

Life is short, shorter for some than others. In the end it's not the years in a life but the life in the years. May we all live well and happy lives, and those who have gone before us continue to touch us throuh their memory.

Godspeed George, and thank you for sharing so much of Derek's sprit with us.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"

I too was moved by this thread, and honestly am kinda at a loss for words. Very very sad. Wish you the best George and am deeply sorry for your loss.

RIP Derek,

Anniversary dates always remind us of the good times. Unfortunately, they remind us of the sad times also. And for the sad times they seem to come around too often. Just hold on to all the good times you shared.

Bike
GL1800 2015

I never had the pleasure to meet Derek, I didn't know what Sport Touring was until I found HSTA, which was in '96, where I met George...
My thoughts and prayers go out to you George!
Rich

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

AT the request of one of the guys on the ST liST, just wrote up this more comprehensive thread about Derek's accident. Hope it can help to save a life.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just added some pics to my Derek album. Here's a preview:
tvweek.jpg

That's Derek in the cameo. Just added to the fireworks shot, taken from a file photo. This showed up in our Sunday Chicago Tribune over a year after the accident. Surprised? Oh, yeah!

Top Bottom