1996 Honda Pacific Coast

Bike
VStrom 650
My buddy, "Inch High, Private Eye" had a silver one. He loved the weird thing.
I think it just went a bit too much scooter'ish for me. But that one does look nice. Very few about over here and those that are probably got imported used from the States.
Upt'North.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No, just posting a pic. It is nice.
That's pure evil of you. I'd love to read that somebody here just acquired that ride.

The Pacific Coast was another of those bikes that my garage was far to small to accept as an addition. I liked that bike from this instant I first saw it. Despite all the "What were Honda designers smoking???" whines of Honda's various lineups and Ryan's Ranting the PC is a great bike that was long before its time.

Were the Powerball in my court my garage would be smaller than Leno's but still have a wide selection of bikes (and cars).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don’t think I have ever seen one.
I've seen 3– one on a showroom floor and 2 in the wild. All were white which is my favorite color for that bike. I might feel the same about any lighter version of some colors. To my eye they would accent the flowing lines of the bike.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was very disappointed when they came out with the Pacific Coast. The engine was a twin, used from the 700cc cruisier Honda had at the time, instead of a V4, i.e. V45 Sabre.

Also, the "saddlebag/trunk" were a bit strange!

I was riding a 85 VF700S at the time they came out and looking for the next version of the Sabres.

bobsfirstsabre.jpg

a few years later I brought this down from Canada:

1985 V45 Sabre (it was a 750cc)

BobinSM5-flat1.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The Honda Accord of motorcycles!
I had an 1989 model.
Butt ugly, however, very user friendly!
The left side of the trunk had a drain plug in it.
I often took it to the kids soccer games, with ice and soda's in the left side, and several medium size pizza's in the right side.
It was very comfortable on the highway, even with two people.
The only down side was the plastic joints would often crack and break off.
tongue depressors and a hot glue gun was a very common repair on used ones for sale.
They needed to have the carb sync'd about every oil change, which was easy to do after I drilled a small hole in the fuel cap recess, and routed a hose/cap to the carbs.
It was simply a matter of opening the door, plug in the tool, and turn a screw driver.
Ran mine on Chevron Delo 400 for its entire life (with me) which was over 300,000 miles before I sold it to a guy who flew down to California, and rode it to Maine!
Last I heard, he was almost at 400,000 miles.
The other strange flaw it had was the angle of the shield. If parked in the sun, the shield would burn a hold in the corners of the dash.
A clear view shield fixed that.
There is a picture of mine on my MOTM thread.
014 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Cream colored one for sale near me on Craigslist. If I weren't going to buy an engagement ring in the near future, a bike would be my consolation prize. Update: Just checked because I was going to add the listing here, but it looks like it's gone, or pulled off the market until spring. They were asking $4500 for it, and I think it had less than 20k miles.

I believe that the body work was designed by Acura as an exercise to implement car functionality into a motorcycle.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Folks think they have issues with electrical parts and support with their ST's, there are almost no available parts for PC800's.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
That's pure evil of you. I'd love to read that somebody here just acquired that ride.

The Pacific Coast was another of those bikes that my garage was far to small to accept as an addition. I liked that bike from this instant I first saw it. Despite all the "What were Honda designers smoking???" whines of Honda's various lineups and Ryan's Ranting the PC is a great bike that was long before its time.

Were the Powerball in my court my garage would be smaller than Leno's but still have a wide selection of bikes (and cars).
Back during the Elizabeth Dole days NTSB did some extensive studies on how motorcycle safety could be improved. Little came of it but some really dumb ideas pulled from unowhere, except for a mechanically clean bike with nothing to trap/stab/or harm the rider should it crash. The PC800 styling looks almost curve for curve like the winning suggestion.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Three for sale here in Canada... 1989 white C$2000 (possible stator/regulator issue), 1989 white C$2900 within 20 minutes from me, 1990 C$3600 nice red in Vancouver....

Bike
2009 ST1300
[I thought they were 800cc?] the only one I know of is in Richmond here in the lower mainland and as I recall it was kind of silver; I remember watching the guy lift the seat I think and loading some gear.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
@Igofar Yours looks just like the one I rode back east. One of the perks of staffing Americade was the after-hours demo rides for the staff. We we working all day while the paying guests got to fight for demo rides. We got all the major manufacturers to arrange for staff rides at the end of the day - a routine was we'd stop and fill the tanks of all the bikes before we returned - and that included cross brand demos. Honda staff on BMWs and vice versa.

Got the chance to put the coals to the ole PC. She was a V-twin, but if you stayed off the brakes and on the throttle it could hustle through the winding mountain curves.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned how the Pacific Coast's styling strongly influenced the ST1100. It's as if all the criticism of the PC got addressed in the ST.

Can't see the motor! Position ducts around the valve covers, check...
Too much plastic! Ditch the front disc shields, check...
Too seamless... like a naked Ken doll!! No more trunk. Separate saddlebags that can be removed, check...
Gutless!! No replacement for displacement! Punch it to 1100cc and make it a V4. No, not like that. Turn its crank sideways, like a Gold Wing's. Ahhh... that's it. Check!!!

I could've lived with one. As long as my V45 Interceptor was still in the garage.

Bike
VStrom 650
[I thought they were 800cc?] the only one I know of is in Richmond here in the lower mainland and as I recall it was kind of silver; I remember watching the guy lift the seat I think and loading some gear.
So did I.
And from memory about 50 bhp at the back wheel and a small fuel tank.
Oh, the good'ol days.
Upt'North.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The PC800 is like the Honda Element: styled so unusually (when compared to anything that preceded it) that it caught the eye immediately, and stays forever in your memory as "odd-looking" as a result. I see them occasionally around here; there used to be a well-worn one for sale out in the Virginia countryside, parked at the end of the owner's driveway alongside an equally haggard old Connie. I used it as a tag in the VA-Northern game several years ago but haven't seen it recently though I don't often pass that way:

20160827_142158w.jpg

20160827_142244.jpg

Speaking of the Element, I have an acquaintance whose Element had the perfect vanity plate: UGLIUM. (Sorry @Sadlsor ... I don't actually think they're ugly, just oddly-styled. Much better than the Scion or Nissan box-on-wheels variations that came out about the same time. And WAY better than the Kia Soul.)

Top Bottom