1996 Honda Pacific Coast

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Whilst the English Wiki article seems cleaned lacking significant info (kinda PC smoothed... :rolleyes: ), the German version reads interesting, hence a quick translation for enjoyment:

====================================================================================================================
In the Honda program the PC 800 was sited between the NT 650 V Deauville and the ST 1100 Pan European (but no construction time overlap from Deauville and Pacific Coast).
Providing omfortable space for two people, it has an upright sitting posture (knee angle 90 degrees or more for a 1.85 m long driver).
The water-cooled three-valve V2 origins from a large family of engines, like with the VT 500 in the 1980s, also proven very reliable in the Révere, NTV, Deauville, Africa Twin and Transalp.
Exceptional in motorcycle construction is the principle of the hinged trunk, otherwise more likely to be found in scooters.
While other motorcycle models are typically advertised with rebellious or exaggerated masculine motifs, the marketing of the Pacific Coast aimed at the American "White Collar Professional" and first motorcycle owners. In the course of this strategy, almost all mechanical components of the motorcycle were hidden under the fairing and the requirement for maintenance work was reduced as much as possible.
As example is the idle adjustment located in the tank flap, the rear wheel is driven by a low-maintenance shaft drive instead of a chain and due the use of hydraulic lifters no valve clearance adjustment are necessary.
In addition, car-like instruments, automatic turn signals and very good wind protection should make it easier to switch from the car to the motorcycle.
Like other models that are not offered by Honda Germany, the machine was only available here through free importers. Initially, the model was only seen in France and the Netherlands.
The international sales figures did not satisfy Honda: a total of just 15,000 were sold. In Germany, this “anti-naked bike” went too much past the time-taste of motorcycle customers in the early 1990s. Due to the low demand, it was removed from the program in 1998 without successors.
====================================================================================================================

In my book was Honda (again) way ahead of the times and invented the "big scooter" long before big scooters became fashionable...
It was aimed at the urban commuter, connecting the suburbs with the downtown office dwellers...
They're rarely seen over here, I'd certainly go for one and perform a full refurb if I'd find one... :cool:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The Honda PC800 was styled after the Vincent Black Prince, except the prince’s rear end was just a fender shroud and not a trunk.
In the end days of the Vincent, they couldn’t give them away because of the rear shroud, and several dealerships stripped the rear fenders off and sold them as a more standard looking bike.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The Honda PC800 was styled after the Vincent Black Prince, except the prince’s rear end was just a fender shroud and not a trunk.
I was under the impression this was for service access only...

But I rate a single rear shock highly advanced for a '55 design...

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I had a 1990 Candy Red/Silver one. I loved that bike. It was a great commuting bike. Also used it for overnight trips. I loved the trunk. You could pack more stuff in there than you think. I put a Sony car stereo on it as it has speaker cut outs in the dash. The radio had a wired remote to I could change the channel and volume. I agree that they should have put the V4 in there. The twin would not win any races but was adequate for what it was. I loved getting 50 mpg. I got rid of it when I picked up my 04 ST 1300. Hated to see it go.

P7270005.JPGP7270006.JPGP7270011.JPG

Jevers

Jevers
Bike
2017 Yamaha SCR950
I had a '90 and a '96, loved them both. Great little cruisers and surprisingly stable on gravel roads, even at 60 mph!

Perfect for those who want a motorcycle, but really love the look of a scooter.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A V-4 in a contemporary Pacific Coast would be great. But if Honda made that bike right now as it was back then I'd do whatever it took to get one. Different bikes for different purposes is fine by me. If you have to have only one bike then it should be one that ticks all or most of the relevant boxes. But if you can own more than one then it's ok for them to be fit for different purpose. All bikes don't have to look or be the same.

Apologies to Uncle Phil. :D

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
A V-4 in a contemporary Pacific Coast would be great.
Wouldn't such a bike be an STxxxx? :p

I think we can bypass the trunk concept and the full-bodywork Pacific Coast, CBR600F1 Hurricane, Ducati Paso styling this time around too.

Bike
St1300PA
I still miss my 89 PC , I feel this bike is so under rated she could run 80 mph all day long , I loved the trunk did a lot of shopping with it only thing it could have had was a bigger fuel tank.

Top Bottom