1999 ST1100 carb issues..

Bike
1999 ST1100
I had recently purchased an ST1100 and on the way home with the bike I had the strong smell of gas.. I have found that the ear for the idle adjustment screw had been silly puddied back together.. Can the idle screw tab be TIG weldid back on to carb #4? What would be the best way besides buying a carb set?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Is there any way to provide pics of what you have going on? It'd be easier for us to help if we could get a look at your problem.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
I will try to get pictures tomorrow... I have the carb set off of the motor so I can get to it... when the ear that holds the idle adjustment screw broke off it left a hole in the side of the fuel bowel and you can see the float on carb # 4. someone had used an epoxy or some type of putty to seal it. It seems what ever they used was not fuel resistant..

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I was looking through pics I had taken of my carbs last time I worked on the bike, is this the tab your talking about?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363646318.228324.jpg
If that's it, I would find a local welding shop that could TIG weld it back together. Such a small job would be easy for a good welder.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
That is it. I wasn't sure if it could be TIG welded or not... i am gonna take the cover off and remove the float.. the hole is about the size of a dime... should be a quick fix...

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The alloy used on these carbs is difficult if not impossible to weld. I speak from experience from many years ago attempting to repair a cracked float bowl. It was on a Mikuni carb though. I guess you could say nothing ventured nothing gained however.

I have seen many used ST1100 carbs for sale on Ebay at fairly reasonable prices if the welding does not work.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
I tried the welding and it did not work.. The idle adjustment tab just crumbled to peices.. i wound up using VersaChem Magnum Steel Epoxy stick to seal the hole in the fuel bowl. Figured I can make a bracket to mount the idle adjustment screw and use the screws for the fuel bowl to attach it..IMG_0299.jpgIMG_0298.jpg

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Man, that's a hell of a hole! Sucks the welding didn't work. Looks like you figured out a good solution for cheap. I wonder how the PO broke that off in the first place?!?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I wonder how the PO broke that off in the first place?!?
Me too, probably during an attempt to pry the carb bank out the rubber boots... I wouldn't trust a glue solution (a serious issue if that fails while on the road...) and seek a case on Ebay or brakers avail.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
I'm not sure how he did it either. The only thing I can think of is instead of using the idle adjustment screw they tried forcing the throttle closed. I'm considering using some 1/4 inch brake line or copper tubing to build a bracket that I can attach using two float bowl screws to attach it. In theory it should work. I will keep up with pics of progress.

OP
OP
Bike
1999 ST1100
I got the bike back together last Tuesday. Waited till I got back Thursday night to finish all the fairing. Epoxy is hard as a rock.
Put about 150 miles on it Friday. And cleaned it all up after I got tags.
Here are the updated pics.

Attachments

Top Bottom