1st 500 mile day.... how do U guys do it?

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
First thing you have to ask yourself is, am I having fun? Most I have ever done on my ST is about 800 miles, mostly desert Interstate and route 50 across Nevada and for me the ride sucked. I parked it mid/late afternoon, could have gone further but I wasn't having fun. A fun day for me is about 350 miles of great back roads. Like today in No. Ca. highway 36 from Ferndale back to Chester with a nice loop of Van Duzen River Rd., Ruth Lake Rd. thrown in for an extra hour and a half of twisties. (as if 36 didn't have enough)

Ed

STOC #
3xxx
PUss. hahahahaaaaa... sorry. just joking. that is a good day and gives you some perspective of what needs done. YOu have some good advise here.

Give it a month and your backside, shoulders will be conditioned to the bike, kinda like going to the gym.

500..... jeepers... :)

STOC #
3xxx
Hey Ray! that is a good point as well. When I forget to stop and eat when the boogie is on. By evenings time, I start to feel like the back side for a toothles...... then I realize I hadnt eatin since 0600. Ahhhhhh. the good ol'days. I now yield to your long leggedness:bow1:

Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I think my Risers were the best comfort item on my bike after my Spencerized seat. 500 to 750 mile days are not a problem at all. :biker: Rob

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Howdy,

I wanted to see what 500 miles of back roads, minor hwys, and city riding all tossed together feels like.

All I can say is..... ughhh... I'm beat! need rest...

Tazmool
Why worry about mileage? I've done many high mileage days, but prefer a good mix of twisty roads, scenery, and fun places to see. The slab bores me. I'd rather ride 200 great miles than 600 so-so miles anyday. Ride as long as you want and then stop. No need to ride for the sake of mileage.

epconde

Easy Ed
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
It's simply not and never will be miles as a measure of riding difficulty, it's time in the saddle, over what type of terrain and density.
True. Time in the saddle sometimes isn't the best measure. 2 hours at the track is more demanding than 8 hours on County roads.

Bike
05 ST 1300
Terry, Get a RED tractor ditch the green one and get to the house in 14 hrs. Oh yeah you surly had to fuel up that fuel suckin deere before 18 hrs.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Well this has made an interesting read......

You guys in the States have one advantage in that you have roads which seem to go on forever.... however....

I have done many rides of up to 4 to 5 hours.... mileage variable from as low as 100 or so miles to 300 miles....

Longest riding day has been from around 7am to around half past midnight....
Mileage... a lot....

When I bought my ST I picked it up in Reading and rode home having never sat on it before, it was a solo seat with comms hump..... 423 miles in about 8 or nine hours with a couple if breaks......

A couple of weeks ago I led a ride out of 260 miles around some VERY scenic roads in the West of Scotland, took about 9 hours with breaks.... I even got 54 mpg...... and my fuel light never came on.....

I always wear Proskins (I think you Americans call this stuff Spandex!!!) under either leathers or Hein Gericke textiles.... and Alt Berg Hogg All Weather boots....

My bike is now dual lowered seat, I believe the bars are already raised and pulled back a little as per Police spec, could do with being an inch or two further back, I used a standard screen for most of my riding until last week when I bought a letterbox vented screen, which it transpires is about 2" too high, doh....

So I'm planning to ride Land's End to John O'Groats in 24 hours sometime this year, any volunteers to join me? Want to do it for charity too.....

Also want to do an Iron Butt, but can't spare the time..... maybe do both at the same time if that is at all possible?

Lastly, one thing I don't think anyone mentioned about long distance riding which may be THE most critical thing is your MINDSET....
If you can't do the mileage in your head, you can't do it in the saddle, no matter how good a saddle it is.....

Ride on!;)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I spend 16 hours a day for 3 weeks setting on a tractor!!! I drive 4.7 minutes at 6.2 mph to 1 end of the field... At the End I bounce around the cab trying not to spill my Diet Dr Pepper as I turn at the end... Then,,, I move over exactly 24 feet,,, and drive 4.7 minutes to the opposite end of the field at 6.2 mph,,, where I repeat,,, for 16 hours at a time... :hyp1:

Let me tell you the truth... My 12 over 1,000 mile days were all easier than almost any 16 hour day riding a tractor...

AND,,, NOT FRIGG'N ONCE,,, while Driving a Tractor do You go By a Taco Bell!!! :(
AMEN on the tractor story. I'm a farmer's son and I married a farmer's daughter. Anyone who does field work on a tractor won't complain about riding bikes long distance.

Bike
2003 Goldwing
STOC #
Lastly, one thing I don't think anyone mentioned about long distance riding which may be THE most critical thing is your MINDSET....
If you can't do the mileage in your head, you can't do it in the saddle, no matter how good a saddle it is.....

Ride on!;)
ABSOLUTELY!

What works for me is not to focus on the overall length of the trip but to break it down. I ride for 100 mile increments. After riding 100 miles, I stop and take a bathroom break, grab a Diet Coke or gas up. Get the blood flowing where it should. Chat with someone for a few minutes. Then it's back on the bike for another hundred.

I went on a solo trip 3 years ago to Colorado and the Black Hills of South Dakota. About 2900 miles roundtrip. First day riding, it was about 475 miles. This was after I had been off bikes for 8 years! 2nd day was an easy one at 300 miles to my sis's house. This trip was through Nebraska and Eastern Colorado which isn't exactly the most scenic ride. But you have to cross it to get to the gold.

Just take it 100 miles at a time. Or whatever you are comfortable with but just focus on that and the miles will rack up.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
My biggest problem on the long-haul days is staying awake! I often find a road side for little Catt nap (pun intended. :D)

I've averaged only ~300 miles a day for the last seven weeks but many of those were non-riding days. I think my longest day was ~800. 500 is pretty normal, on 2-lane roads.

Today, 600+ will get me home, 300 to go from here (Cedar City, UT.) Started at 5:30 in Green River, UT, took a gas break at I-70/I-15 and now breakfast break. No need to get beat up, just keep plugging away at it and the miles flow by.

Views like this help:temp 29 016.jpg

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Why worry about mileage? I've done many high mileage days, but prefer a good mix of twisty roads, scenery, and fun places to see. The slab bores me. I'd rather ride 200 great miles than 600 so-so miles anyday. Ride as long as you want and then stop. No need to ride for the sake of mileage.
I agree but sometimes you gotta ride to get to the ride.

Ray

Top Bottom