1st Long Ride - knees sore

During my first long ride (400 miles) I found that I had to stop about every 50 miles because my knees were aching. After about 100 miles, I lowered the seat which helped some, but it seems like the position of the pegs is the problem. I need my feet further toward the front of the bike. I also had the numbness in my right hand, but I was able to overcome that by sitting more upright.

Anyone else with this experience?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
That is why I have Steed Sticks. A highway type peg will help give you a break.

Other things that help that are free.

Some people have said to just set your feet on the wings help. I haven't tried. Or if you are riding solo to put your feet on the passenger pegs.

I think this is the one issue that will eventually push me to a Goldwing. I don't do a lot of long riding but when I do it is a problem for me. I have long legs with a 36" inseam and that requires you to have a tighter bend of my knees. I suspect you are also tall or at least have long legs.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Wonder if that spray would work on my butt?

as far as the knees go, I find raising the saddle, so my knees aren't bent quite so sharply, helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I found that my knees were getting stiff on long (8 hour plus) rides. I recently put the MCL highway blades on the tip-over bars. This made an enormous difference. When I put my feet on these blades, I feel like I'm back riding my cruiser. It not only stetches my legs out some, but also shifts my seat position so my weight is rocked back further on my tail-bone. I wouldn't want to ride this way all day, but the ability to do it for a while really helps with the knee stiffness and butt soreness also. It's also alot cooler in the 99 degree weather we've been having here in the deep South.

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
My main problem with the ST1300 was knee pain.I am 20 years older than you but guess it can affect everyone.I tried MCL pegs which helped a little.One simple thing that helped a lot was Stop Pain Spray.Sportsman use it.As soon as I started getting the knee pain I would stop and spray my knees.This would stop the pain for a couple of hours.Can be bought at Walgreens,CVS etc etc.
I have now traded the 1300 for a Goldwing which is really comfortable.Guess what.No more knee pain.its now thigh pain.The Stop pain spray works equally as well there.:cbcgw1:
Could this be the STuff? http://shop.stopain.com/

Thanks for the "tip".

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Heres another option for you guys.....

Buy an 1100

Sorry couldn't resist, good luck finding a cure my2sons

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

Buy an 1100

... or an R1200RT. The second I sat on that motorcycle, all of my leg pains went away.

Anyhoo, I had terrible knee pain on the ST1300 the first year I had it. I moved the seat to it's highest position, and that managed to alleviate it to the point that I could ride 100+ mile legs. Ultimately, though, my body sort of 'conditioned' itself to the sitting position.

Like we've discussed a few times already on the board: Give it a few hundred (or even thousand) miles before you start making major ergo changes. There are lots of options out there, but don't waste your cash until you're sure where the problem is.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #

Buy an 1100

As I mentioned my knees hurt and I am on a 1100.

I really think that it is how much you have to bend your knees. With the 1300 at least you can raise the seat. As long as you can still touch this would be the best option that I could think of that won't cost anything.

I would say this is the biggest thing that limits my miles. As long as I can get some miles in with the highway pegs I can give my knees a break.

I would recommend the MCL wings over my Steed Sticks. The only problem with the Steed Sticks is that they mount under the wings. If you really get into corners you can hit the ground with them. This is less likely with the MCL wings as they are mounted above the wings.

OP
OP
my2sons
Thanks for all the replies. I believe a combination of seat adjustment and just "getting molded" to the ST1300 over time will help. Also, the MCL wings look to be a nice addition, even if the knees get used to the riding position. It is always nice to have the option to stretch out a bit.

Bike
'07 ST1300
If my pants are tight behind the knees it will cause knee pain. Some jeans do and some don't.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Vary your riding positions. The MCL wings give you another place to do that as do the passenger pegs. Don't forget you can stand up every once in awhile, give you butt a break too and if you turn your head around the power ranger looking down on them usually gets your point across to tailgaters LOL.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I have a 32 in inseam and use the middle, or second seat position

I also like to ride on longer rides moving my legs from the rider pegs to the passenger pegs and lean forward on my fully packed tank bag.....

that and I take two aspirin before the ride......I tell you this made a HUGE difference for me, as well as alleviated the slight right shoulder discomfort I was experiencing ( probably due to an old injury...)

but even in a cage on a long drive I get neck, back, butt, and knee discomfort.....

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If I sit back on my seat I can let my legs hang and not drag my feet.

I also regularly stood up on my pegs and shook the wrinkles out of my pants during my ironbutt to reduce soreness.

After a four hour ride last year, ( wanted to get home asap) my knees hurt like hell. I just installed the highway wings a few weeks ago, and believe me, they help out a good bit. I also take a product called animal flex, ( I run almost everyday) and that seemed to take away 95% of my acheing knees.
I will be taking part of a can of this with me on a 5 day trip down the coast. Use as a good multi also. The asperin/advil may help also, but I have never tried it.

RLT

Bike
06 ST1300
I just spent three days on the bike in the mountains of NC. MCL highway pegs are the way to go. My knees felt great all weekend......now i just need my Russell day long and no more sore butt!!

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
I rode 3700+ miles last week with the last 2 days 750/900 miles on a ST1100. I usually take Mobic for arthritis, but I found that with Alieve or generic naproxen I can ride pain free. It would last around 8-10 hours then knee and hip pain would set in. On the 900 mile day after 600 miles I took another, pain gone.

Ralph Sims

Top Bottom