2 bars, occasional third

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Hi all,
just got my new 2004 on the road right before the weekend.. then mother nature decides to turn on the sprinklers. So all I ended up with was a 100 mile run saturday morning and then my first ride to work this morning. Ohh... how nice it is to see 48mpg vs 24 in the cage.

But onto the question. The temp reading stays a pretty consistent 2 bars. Temp was 66 on the way in today with me running a constant 65 on the slab for 40+ miles. Occasionally I would see a third bar and then it would drop back to two. I know that bars is not a calibrated system of temperature measurement, but form what I am reading in the past posts, 3 is the number, the number shall be 3.

So ya'll think I have a thermostat that is a wee bit sluggish on the closing cycle?

I just ordered the Haynes this morning.

Is this something I might get some assistance with at an upcoming Indiana tech event?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Yes, 3 it is and shall be.

Since you don't have 3 you'll be needing a T-STat and an o-ring before attending that tech event.
I haven't heard of anyone doing damage with a STuck open T-STat; but, I'd plan on swapping in a new one.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Sound like a sticking thermostat to me.
For the tech event you'll need
new stat
o-ring
honda car type II coolant or any silcate free for aluminum antifreeze premix or add distilled.
maybe some extra distilled water to flush the system.
(and be prepared for the deluge when you drain)

hint there is no prep it usually makes a mess anyway LOL.

As long as you're in there tighten the hose clamps you can access with the radiator out and clean the overflow bottle while you're at it. Some small ball bearings, rocks, etc. and shake well.

Fill then run it till the the t-stat opens with the cap off and blip the throttle to burp the system and top off.

The ground wire terminal goes on the outside of the t-stat cover ;)

10 or 110?, idle or freeway, the number be 3

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info guys. On the way home from work (ambient temp 78) I had a solid 3 bars running 65 on 64. Crosswinds were fun today in southern Illinois.

The thermostat might have unstuck, but if it's flaky, time to go. Plus I have little to no documentation on previous maintenance and the overflow tank was below minimum. So I think I'll start anew with all the fluids.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Usually the stuck t-stats show up during cooler temps, so its no surprise that it showed 3 bars at 78. Mine was like yours- showing only 1 or 2 bars when cold. Its all great ever since doing the t-stat last year- 3 bars after running a few minutes, and stays at 3 all the time.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Just had the same issue, Replaced my thermostat Saturday before last with the O ring and new antifreeze. I have 3 bars all the time everytime now.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
As a side benefit, your gas mileage will increase with the new thermostat. :)
I just replaced the thermostat on another members bike on Saturday. Your gonna find the body corroded, and see bright scrape marks
where the thing was sticking. Very common problem. I've replaced over a dozen in the last year or so for other members.
So much, in fact, that I simply replace mine yearly when I flush the coolant now.
check or replace all the clamps while your in there.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
When cruiser riders talk about bars, they don't mean coolant temperature. Er, actually maybe they do: "Coldest Beer In Town!" <ducking> :D

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Happy to say that after the trip to IN-Stoc I am now runnning a solid 3 bars. Think my gas mileage was up too, maybe 2 mpg.

The ride home from Indiana never really got the engine warm ;), must have been that misty 51 deg. weather. But the ride in to work this morning pegged it right into the 3 bars after a few minutes and she held steady.

Big thanks to Joe for the assistance and showing me how to strip my bike to the bones and show/help me get it back together :bow1:.

Now lets see if she stays at 3 bars for the 91 degree ride home. 91 in April.. that is just so wrong.

T

Top Bottom