20% decline in economy after new boots

Bike
1998 ST 1100
Prior to this little planned tour, with your help, I got the coolant flushed, new o-rings, hoses, carb boots and the other usual suspects looked into. I tossed a can of Seafoam in the first tank and had some pretty poor mileage, but figured I'd give it another tank. This second one proved a wee bit better, but not much.

It worked out to 40mpg (US), 5.86l/100km, 48mpg (UK) Is this within the normal range?

Last year I saw mileage as high as 60mpg (UK)

The bike is running like a top and the power has me star struck, but I'd like a bit of that economy back though or at least some consideration about the compromises.

I changed the carb boots and there were signs they were leaking pretty badly. I did try really hard to ensure there was no clamp interfering with linkage when I put it all back together. I checked every vacuum line and doubtless the engine was sucking quite a bit of air last year that it isn't sucking now.

I changed out the K&N and installed a stock air filter.

How can I claw back some of that economy? I'm heading out on Saturday morning so I'll pop the K&N back in for now. Staintune pipes are installed. Ideas?

Ian

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Put the K&N back in and see how it does. If it was on the bike when you got it, the previous owner may have re-jetted the carbs to get a better mixture with the extra air.

--Mark

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I think with the bike running so good your right hand can't help itself with twisting the throttle harder and harder and that is where the fuel went!! :D

Not a bad way to burn it tho!!

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I didn't get a very noticeable improvement with the K&N and nothing else apart form a carb balance, but the bike wasn't bad anyway, worst in the high 30's best in the mid 50's (UK), per gallon....

I reckon 48mpg US is about right, possibly get more by being more, erm.... circumspect with the throttle..... that's the only thing that will improve it really!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
By the by:
I get 42mpg/US combined.
Freeway only I get better; but, I don't think I have ever seen 50mpg/US.
I prefer to get the low 30s which is what I get running twisty mountain roads! :D

OP
OP
Remontoire
Bike
1998 ST 1100
Marks... I caught that after I posted and thought I might edit it, but let it float instead. :D Who has too much fun? Nevah!K&N is back in place. Now to see if the the tent is all together and find some cooking gear. No beer for the wicked... yet.

Bike
2006 ST1300
This wouldn't explain the sudden change but when i sync'ed my badly out-of-sync thorottle bodies, my MPG wen up 15%.

Top Bottom