2003 ST1300 Fork Seal and Bushing Replacement and Cleanup

Bike
2003 ST1300
Hi All,
Due to the dust seals cracking, I assumed that now was a good time to replace the seals and innards of my forks.
Here are a few pictures for your entertainment.
There was a bit of sludge at the bottom of the fork tubes and some wear on the bushings, but nothing very exciting - which is always a good thing.
Interestingly the service manual recommends leaving the left front fork bolts loose after the rebuild, mashing down on the front end a few times to "settle the fork tubes on the axle", and then tightening those two bolts to specs.
I also replaced the front brakes with EBC FA261HH pads and bled the brake system.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi All,
Due to the dust seals cracking, I assumed that now was a good time to replace the seals and innards of my forks.
Here are a few pictures for your entertainment.
There was a bit of sludge at the bottom of the fork tubes and some wear on the bushings, but nothing very exciting - which is always a good thing.
Interestingly the service manual recommends leaving the left front fork bolts loose after the rebuild, mashing down on the front end a few times to "settle the fork tubes on the axle", and then tightening those two bolts to specs.
I also replaced the front brakes with EBC FA261HH pads and bled the brake system.
Leaving the left side lower pinch bolts loose until the forks are "bounced" a few times allows the fork tubes to self-align before final tightening. If this is not done the bike could exhibit a pull to one side when going straight down the road as well as have some binding when the forks are compressed.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Replacing the front wheel is quite a step by step process. It does prevent the front wheel from being misaligned.
The EBC pads have been known to cause issues on these bikes with tight fitment. Be aware that it might and keep on riding!

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Hi All,
Did you have any leaks?
My dust seals are also cracked but not leaking.
So I am wondering if I need to replace them, it looks like only an aesthetic concern to me.
Am I wrong?

OP
OP
nicksacco
Bike
2003 ST1300
Leaving the left side lower pinch bolts loose until the forks are "bounced" a few times allows the fork tubes to self-align before final tightening. If this is not done the bike could exhibit a pull to one side when going straight down the road as well as have some binding when the forks are compressed.
Yes, thank you for bringing that up!
I forgot to provide the reason!

OP
OP
nicksacco
Bike
2003 ST1300
Replacing the front wheel is quite a step by step process. It does prevent the front wheel from being misaligned.
The EBC pads have been known to cause issues on these bikes with tight fitment. Be aware that it might and keep on riding!
The manual provides a good step-by-step on removing the wheel with torque values, etc.
Thank you for the EBC note - so far, I've not experienced any issues - all seems just fine.
I will continue to check however!

OP
OP
nicksacco
Bike
2003 ST1300
Did you have any leaks?
My dust seals are also cracked but not leaking.
So I am wondering if I need to replace them, it looks like only an aesthetic concern to me.
Am I wrong?
Actually no, I had no leaks at all.
I did not know the history of the bike but it only has 17K miles.
I figured that as long as I was going to rebuild the forks, I might as well do it all - replacing the dust seals.
I suppose if you stretch it - junk could get under the cracked dust seals and cause issues.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I am looking for a good FORK BUSHING and SEAL & DUST SEAL KIT, can anybody recommend a source for them ?
I am thinking at the "All Balls Racing" kit, or should I stay with Honda parts?

OP
OP
nicksacco
Bike
2003 ST1300
I am looking for a good FORK BUSHING and SEAL & DUST SEAL KIT, can anybody recommend a source for them ?
I am thinking at the "All Balls Racing" kit, or should I stay with Honda parts?
Hi Jacques,

I used the ALL BALLS for my fork rebuild on my 2003-non ABS.
----The bushings were perfect and come with everything you need - part number: 38-6101 Fork Bushing Kit

----The seal kit I used was: 56-139 Fork & Dust Seal
The internal seals were great - no issues.
The dust seals were the WRONG type and I had to order Honda replacement. See PIcture.
I tried reaching out to ALL BALLS with no response so needless to say, I am very underwhelmed with their customer service.
I take responsibility as I didn't look that closely at the pics in the kit - went by the part number.

The Honda dust seal part is: Part 91254-MCA-003

In the picture the LEFT is ALLBALLS on the right is HONDA

Attachments

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Hi Jacques,

I used the ALL BALLS for my fork rebuild on my 2003-non ABS.
----The bushings were perfect and come with everything you need - part number: 38-6101 Fork Bushing Kit

----The seal kit I used was: 56-139 Fork & Dust Seal
The internal seals were great - no issues.
The dust seals were the WRONG type and I had to order Honda replacement. See PIcture.
I tried reaching out to ALL BALLS with no response so needless to say, I am very underwhelmed with their customer service.
I take responsibility as I didn't look that closely at the pics in the kit - went by the part number.

The Honda dust seal part is: Part 91254-MCA-003

In the picture the LEFT is ALLBALLS on the right is HONDA
Thank you!
I'll go by the All Balls for the bushings and Honda for the dust seals.
So amazing to be able to share these info in a such nice way!

Top Bottom