2004 Honda ST1300 vs. 2018+ Triumph Tiger 800XC

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
So I sold a Honda CB1100 a few months ago, largely due to a combination of family responsibilities and health concerns. Neither the responsibilities or concerns have gone away . . . But I have some major remorse about selling the bike, and feeling like I’m a happier and healthier guy with a motorcycle in the garage.

For now at least am considering 2 very different bikes — a well-cared for low mileage Honda ST1300 (I owned a 2005 dark red one for 5 years and, other than a bit of a heat issue on my lower legs, loved it). I’m looking at a couple of 2004’s in that beautiful blue. It’s the color I always wished I owned. Was always a powerful, smooth, and elegant bike to own. Made going anywhere fast and effortless. Would also be a modest investment. At least initially!

The other bike I really love is again similar to one I owned before, for 2 years prior to owning my CB1100. I owned a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, and it was a revelation — smooth, comfortable, go anywhere, flickable and fun. No heat issue that I ever noticed. I would get a brand new or barely used 2018 (or 2019 once they come out) Tiger 800XCA or XCX. Full price is 15,800 plus fees for the XCA. Right now Triumph is offering a sweet finance deal, and I bet they’d also knock close to $2,000 off the price. Feels like the prices will only drop on either bike over the next 2 or so months as winter hits.

Other than the advice that life is short, to follow my heart and get the bike I am most excited by, etc., . . . What I am really asking for is the more rational and objective feedback. Especially on the maintence costs of a 14 year old bike like the ST. I know they are bullet proof, and the ones I’m looking at seem to have just had new tires put on and most of the other key services done. But I know myself and if I got it I would probably re-do some of that “routine” maintence just to be sure it was done. I would likely buy a sergeant seat like I had on my old one, I think it was about $600. Maybe some heli - risers. New grips. Larger foot pegs. I can easily see $1,000-1,500 of extra expenses in the first year. On the other hand the Triumph pretty much comes loaded with all I would ever want — heated seats and grips, fancy and larger foot pegs, LED lights all around, electronic suspension with special modes, TFT screen, adjustable seat and bars and windshield, and tons of other extras I can’t recall. Pretty sure there is nothing else I would need to buy.

Cost of the ST1300 would be 35-40 % of the Tiger . . . But I would have to cut the check all at once. No warranty. Many of the ST’s of that age have had multiple owners so there is the uncertainty that comes with that.

Truth be told I should probably sit tight for a year or so to let some other things in my life settle down a bit. But I am drawn to both of these bikes. A test ride on examples of both is probably an option and that might help me decide. They are incredibly different, but both bikes I have loved before and would love again.

Any thoughts on the above questions? (From a more rational point of view)

Any one own both bikes have story or perspective to share?

Many thanks for insights!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Both are great options for diff reasons. If you like the tiger, consider the tracer 900, can be had for less.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Can't make a decission for you, but can tell you my experience. I had an 07 then an 09 ST that I liked except for the heat and being top heavy. I test rode both Tiger 800s when the came out in 2011. I fell in love with the XC. I bought a 2012 in about May 2011 (they were only 2011s for a couple months). At that time I planned to keep the ST1300. Every time I would be out riding the Tiger I would tell myself I need to ride the ST some too. So I would force myself to ride the ST and the whole time I was on it I was wishing I was on the Tiger so I sold the ST.

Fast forward to a couple months ago. I still have the 800XC and still get a thrill when I ride it. XC has 51-52k miles on it now. However, I recently got a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. I like it a lot and mostly ride it. My wife is the one that really fell in love with the comfort of the wing and highly influenced the purchase. But I still feel love for the Tiger. Still waiting to see what the future brings for it as I really can't justify two bikes and the Wing gets ridden more.

If you are really interested in a sport touring "type" bike try to get a test ride on a new Goldwing. Although it's a little heavier than the ST it doesn't feel like it. It is also more comfortable and doesn't have the heat issues of the ST. Kinda like a newer version of the ST. Hear it called the ST1800 often. I know the heat doesn't bother everyone but it's a killer for me being a fat boy in Florida.

Having had both, if I had to chose between the Tiger and ST I would take the Tiger. Cooler, lighter, more comfortable (for me) and just all round Funner. Haven't ridden the Tracer 900 so can't comment.

The adventure type bikes seem to be where the sport is heading.

Can't go wrong with either/any.

JMHO

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Triumphs are ok. Personally, I think they are just an extension of Kawasaki. To me, Honda just makes a better product, and it is hard to beat a ST1300 for its intended purpose.
Whatever you get, get it ABS equipped.

Reactions: ATA

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
You could always buy the ST and ride it for a yr. If it doesn't work out for you then sell it and buy the Triumph. There will not be much depreciation on the ST over a yr or two. Loss on farkles but if you need to you can sell those separately and recoup money there too. Keep all records of maintenance done and you are more likely to get a person more willing to pay what you want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ATA

Bike
2007 ST1300
My vote (biased of course!) is the ST. Can't vouch for the other bikes since I haven't owned one. I paid $4400 for my 07 w/20,650 miles. A few extras with that. So, my point is for the money you'll get a very nice/reliable bike. Won't be spending a lot of money for a quality machine. Just my thoughts. Totally happy with my ST! Good luck in your decision and ride safe!

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Truth be told I should probably sit tight for a year or so to let some other things in my life settle down a bit. But I am drawn to both of these bikes. A test ride on examples of both is probably an option and that might help me decide. They are incredibly different, but both bikes I have loved before and would love again.

Any thoughts on the above questions? (From a more rational point of view)...
You can read my longer answer on ADVRider. :) I think you answered your question right here. Sit tight. Wait a year and figure out what your real needs are, verses lusts. Otherwise, you could easily end up with something that is totally unusable for what you need.

Chris

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I recently purchased an '07 ST. Love the bike.. It doesn't have a lot of the conveniences (farkles) that some of the newer bikes come from the factory with, but it didn't cost !5K either. As others have said, You can always get the ST you want and sell it in a year or two for what you paid for it or more and then go for the Tiger or something else that may come along in the meantime. IMHO, the bike you should get depends entirely on how you plan to ride it.. I got the ST for shorter trips and to ride around town or go to the store. I have a GL1800 Goldwing for the longer trips where it excels. Not sure I would consider the new GW just yet... They have some bugs they need to work out and it takes a couple or three model years to do that. Not to mention the OTD price.

Reactions: ATA

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well I happen to have both bikes in my garage. 2007 ST1300 and a 2015 Tiger 800 XCX. I bought both bikes new. The ST has been rock solid for 95,000 miles. But It finds itself in the garage most of the time now. I also have a 2016 BMW R1200RS and a 2006 DR650 collecting dust in the garage. I should sell it.
The Tiger is by far my favorite bike. The BMW seems to be growing on me the more I ride it. The ST will go before either one of them. When I ride the ST, I still enjoy it. but I find myself missing the Tiger or the BMW. But I have bought 4 other bikes in the last five years and the ST is still in the garage.
I took a 2018 800 XCX for a test ride a few months ago. The 200 upgrades they made to it made me want to trade mine in. It is that much better stock. Everything about the bike is just better. And I love the one I have. It is the most fun bike I have every owned. It just does a real good job at everything.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 and after the new wore off I kept hoping that I would bond with it like I did my ST and the NC700X that was traded for the Tiger but I never did so I sold the Tiger after 13,000 miles and bought another NC700X. The ST didn't leave for another 3 years. The Tiger just didn't do it for me.

It just goes to show these decisions are very personal to the rider.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I read a lot about the Tiger 800 and had decided already that the 800 XRt was the one for me... period..

I test rode it and it was nice but just didn't do it for me, not sure why either... I went to a Yam dealer and test rode the base Tracer 900 which is basically a very similar bike/engine configuration and it just felt right.. maybe the ergos were just different enough but I can't believe they would be that different. The msrp for the Tracer 900 GT is a bit lower than the tiger and you'd have to get bags with the Tiger, of course the bags on the GT are quite small but I pack pretty light most of the time and any extra bulky stuff goes on the back of the seat anyway.

As stated above, it's a personal choice... test ride as many as you can and see what does it for you... I believe life is short and you need to do as much as you can in as many different ways you can and experience all that you can afford to.

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
So appreciate everyone's helpful and wise comments. This forum is better than paying a therapist that's for sure! :) Will take it all to heart as I consider options for my next bike, and will likely sit tight for at least a little while instead of rushing. Thanks again!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Triumph offers test rides. Make sure you ride an XC if you ride one. The WP suspension is so much better the the XR’s. 2015 was the first year for the WP suspension.
Good luck on your search. So many good options out there. Try them on like a pair of shoes. You will find the one that fits.

Bike
06 ST1300 Blk Beauty
So I sold a Honda CB1100 a few months ago, largely due to a combination of family responsibilities and health concerns. Neither the responsibilities or concerns have gone away . . . But I have some major remorse about selling the bike, and feeling like I’m a happier and healthier guy with a motorcycle in the garage.

For now at least am considering 2 very different bikes — a well-cared for low mileage Honda ST1300 (I owned a 2005 dark red one for 5 years and, other than a bit of a heat issue on my lower legs, loved it). I’m looking at a couple of 2004’s in that beautiful blue. It’s the color I always wished I owned. Was always a powerful, smooth, and elegant bike to own. Made going anywhere fast and effortless. Would also be a modest investment. At least initially!

The other bike I really love is again similar to one I owned before, for 2 years prior to owning my CB1100. I owned a 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, and it was a revelation — smooth, comfortable, go anywhere, flickable and fun. No heat issue that I ever noticed. I would get a brand new or barely used 2018 (or 2019 once they come out) Tiger 800XCA or XCX. Full price is 15,800 plus fees for the XCA. Right now Triumph is offering a sweet finance deal, and I bet they’d also knock close to $2,000 off the price. Feels like the prices will only drop on either bike over the next 2 or so months as winter hits.

Other than the advice that life is short, to follow my heart and get the bike I am most excited by, etc., . . . What I am really asking for is the more rational and objective feedback. Especially on the maintence costs of a 14 year old bike like the ST. I know they are bullet proof, and the ones I’m looking at seem to have just had new tires put on and most of the other key services done. But I know myself and if I got it I would probably re-do some of that “routine” maintence just to be sure it was done. I would likely buy a sergeant seat like I had on my old one, I think it was about $600. Maybe some heli - risers. New grips. Larger foot pegs. I can easily see $1,000-1,500 of extra expenses in the first year. On the other hand the Triumph pretty much comes loaded with all I would ever want — heated seats and grips, fancy and larger foot pegs, LED lights all around, electronic suspension with special modes, TFT screen, adjustable seat and bars and windshield, and tons of other extras I can’t recall. Pretty sure there is nothing else I would need to buy.

Cost of the ST1300 would be 35-40 % of the Tiger . . . But I would have to cut the check all at once. No warranty. Many of the ST’s of that age have had multiple owners so there is the uncertainty that comes with that.

Any thoughts on the above questions? (From a more rational point of view)

Any one own both bikes have story or perspective to share?

Many thanks for insights!
I'm a Honda guy, our (and I say our because I work at the Marysville Plant in Ohio ) engines are fantastic . I have an 02 CBR with 65,000 miles on it ,and it just wont stop ! I purchased an ST1300 last year 06 model . Your right about the heat issue ,but cant beat the ride ...unless you get a Gold Wing . I actually wish I had bought this bike back in 06 ... I ride it aggressively in the corners and it is a point and shoot type of machine . Have you tried a heat shield or after market exhaust . My Two Brothers helped a little . You can also wrap the exhaust ,should you go back to Honda ST.

STOC #
I bought a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 and after the new wore off I kept hoping that I would bond with it like I did my ST and the NC700X that was traded for the Tiger but I never did so I sold the Tiger after 13,000 miles and bought another NC700X. The ST didn't leave for another 3 years. The Tiger just didn't do it for me.

It just goes to show these decisions are very personal to the rider.
The last sentence is so true. We can read comparos and posts all day but in the end, riding each bike is mandatory (if possible). I'm really happy with my choices of the ST and the Tuono, but fully respect that those choices might not be right for the next person.

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Here's a pre-Christmas update regarding the search for my next bike. I am likely going to wait at least a year or more before I buy anything, in order to let some health issues and family responsibilities settle down. But I will enjoy visiting dealers and taking some demo rides between now and then!

A couple of weeks ago I saw the Yamaha Tracer and was not inspired. I'm sure it's a great bike but pretty sure it's not for me.

Today I went to a large dealership a half an hour from my house that sells about 5 difference brands, including BMW, Triumph, and Honda. LOVED checking out the new 2019 R 1250 GSA. If I won the lottery tomorrow (not that I play the lottery) that is the bike I would buy. Also drawn to the new Honda Gold Wing, the version without the top box. Could see thoroughly enjoying either of those. And spending $24,000+ to bring one home!!?

Interesting that I was able to check out and sit on a used 2010 Honda ST1300, and the 2018 Triumph Tiger 800's, the 2 bikes I was so excited about and which were the original topic of this post. Both great bikes . . . but both were more appealing in my memory than the experience of seeing them and sitting on them tonight.

A disclaimer is that it was 35 degrees and pouring rain tonight, so no test rides were even considered. But I enjoyed the chance to see and sit on the bikes and see how they felt and consider the possibilities . . .

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Good luck on your search. You will figure out what works for you.
The weather looks nice here tomorrow. Think I’ll take the Tiger out for a ride.

Top Bottom