2004 ST 1300 brakes

purchased a 04 ST 1300, after buying it the rear abs locks up same day I got it. Removed the rear caliper and pads to clean it up and put back together. notice front right fork area delay valve leaking now when pushing only rear brakes. internal cap looks to be missing on delay valve, so I ordered a complete rear caliper set with pads, and delay valve. After clearing the rear piston and only using front brakes the bike works on freeway without rear locking up as it did before. I return back to my friends house the bike moves in neutral, I can walk it around just fine, then I shut off then came back a few minutes later to start the bike back up, the abs automatically locks up the rear solid again, I have to go to 1st to drive it to free it a bit but its extremely difficult to move. Any help is appreciated.

RiderRon

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
STOP RIDING IMMEDIATELY!!

check your SMC (secondary master cylinder), connected to the front wheel, left side when sitting on the bike.
How long has the bike sat? What maintenance has been performed on the braking system?

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It's not your ABS.
This bike has a Linked Braking System, wherein using either front or rear brake partially activates the other.
The LBS is controlled by the Secondary Master Cylinder mounted to the left fork.
They do not suffer neglect well at all, meaning when they sit unused for long periods of time, they behave as yours is behaving now.
The Articles linked above are mandatory reading and practice to resolve it, often (usually) requiring replacement.
There is hope, and there is help.

OP
OP
STOP RIDING IMMEDIATELY!!
check your SMC (secondary master cylinder), connected to the front wheel, left side when sitting on the bike.
How long has the bike sat? What maintenance has been performed on the braking system?

I appreciate the information. Justed ordered smc piston set also from partzilla.
They person I bought it from in AZ said it was sitting for awhile but rode it a few times before selling it to me. I took it for a test ride and seemed fine but after the sell immediately started locking up after restarting, freed it up by pumping the rear brakes and rode it short distances but after taking it on the freeway about 45 miles the bike started to drag and locked up on freeway off ramp. was able the free it up and go a few miles to a friends to check on the issue.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ordered a complete rear caliper set with pads, and delay valve.
Order a new SMC “Bracket Sub Assy L FR 06454-MCS-G03“ while you’re at it, crush washers for the brake lines also.
Also 2 quarts of DOT 4 brake fluid and a motion pro brake bleed check valve.
Also, does your SMC stop the rear tire when you lie down beside you bike, kick the rear tire around while activating the SMC.
Release the SMC and the rear brake should free up.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I appreciate the information. Justed ordered smc piston set also from partzilla.
<GULP>
It seems you ordered the rebuild kit, not the actual SMC.
Don't wanna be Daniel Downer here, but the collective experience leans more toward the latter... the rebuild kit *has* worked for some, but the SMC has proven to be a more consistent fix than the rebuilding.
Our good friend Larry / @Igofar is often available for phone consultation on this matter.
Ring, ring... is this the White Courtesy Phone...?

OP
OP
Order a new SMC while you’re at it, crush washers for the brake lines also.
Also 2 quarts of DOT 4 brake fluid and a motion pro brake bleed check valve.
Also, does your SMC stop the rear tire when you lie down beside you bike, kick the rear tire around while activating the SMC.
Release the SMC and the rear brake should free up.
Thanks, haven't tried kicking the rear tire yet, just was pumping the rear, but now the delay valve leaks just have the rear wire tied up so I only use front hand brake which doesn't cause it to leak. the delay valve is capped with tire inner tube and hose clamp to stop leaking and works while riding.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You seriously need to STOP riding that bike.
It WILL lock up completely, without warning and toss you off, injuring you, or someone else if you keep trying to ride it jury rigged like you have it!
Your wasting hundreds of dollars throwing money away ordering the wrong parts.
STOP, take a deep breath, and try and understand how the brake system works, before you just keep ordering the wrong parts.
If you private message me a contact phone number, I will call you and explain in detail what is wrong with your bike, and how to fix and correct it.
Where did you purchase it from?
Is it a civilian model, or a police model?
Auction bike, or private seller?
Salvaged title or accident victim?
Standing by the white courtesy phone.
:WCP1:

Thanks, haven't tried kicking the rear tire yet, just was pumping the rear, but now the delay valve leaks just have the rear wire tied up so I only use front hand brake which doesn't cause it to leak. the delay valve is capped with tire inner tube and hose clamp to stop leaking and works while riding.
If you ride that bike the way you have it rigged, you are putting yourself, or a pillion, or some innocent bystander, into harms way.

Park it until you've done the CORRECT PROCEDURES to get it fixed. :thumb:

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
When my '04's rear brake locked up,,, I was lucky because I was just accelerating straight away from a stop sign. At first I thought I had lost a cylinder,,, then 2 cylinders. As soon as I rolled off the throttle and pulled the clutch in,,, I knew it was the rear brake/smc. The bike quickly rolled to a stop,, and as I jumped off,,, I saw the pads smoking and the fluid boiling. Fortunately,,, I was right next to the shoulder on a rural road. The rear was fully seized at this point,,, so no rolling it any further. Because of the reading I had already done on this forum,,, I knew what the problem was,,, and called CAA. A flat-bed tow arrived 20 minutes later,,, and the bike had cooled down enough that it could then roll. It was the hard braking event, going into that stop sign, that initiated the lockup. Thus began my hands on education into the mysteries of our linked braking system,,, that performs so well when properly maintained. Those corrective measures are well understood on this forum,,, so dig in,, and ask questions,, @Dynamic007

OP
OP
You seriously need to STOP riding that bike.
It WILL lock up completely, without warning and toss you off, injuring you, or someone else if you keep trying to ride it jury rigged like you have it!
Your wasting hundreds of dollars throwing money away ordering the wrong parts.
STOP, take a deep breath, and try and understand how the brake system works, before you just keep ordering the wrong parts.
If you private message me a contact phone number, I will call you and explain in detail what is wrong with your bike, and how to fix and correct it.
Where did you purchase it from?
Is it a civilian model, or a police model?
Auction bike, or private seller?
Salvaged title or accident victim?
Standing by the white courtesy phone.
:WCP1:
The bike was purchased from a private seller in AZ, I trailer it back out of state. The seller said he was second owner and only rode the bike seldomly after himself buying a new bike. I test drove the bike in AZ it seemed fine at the time, but after the first week it seemed to lock the brakes after restarting the bike. I drove it on the freeway a few days ago my speed was reduced from rear caliper dragging and on freeway ramp locked up was able to free it up after 3 minutes pumping the rear brake. took it to a friends place and took the rear caliper off and cleaned up the pads and rotor sanding and filling removed some rust and using brake bleeder put in new fluid. The front right delay valve has a stamped like bottom cap that busted out and only leaks when rear brake is pushed down. so after find out the SMC is the issue I ordered one from Partzilla but its not in stock waiting to hear back but probably going to order from another site that says it has in stock but could be a two week wait.

OP
OP
<GULP>
It seems you ordered the rebuild kit, not the actual SMC.
Don't wanna be Daniel Downer here, but the collective experience leans more toward the latter... the rebuild kit *has* worked for some, but the SMC has proven to be a more consistent fix than the rebuilding.
Our good friend Larry / @Igofar is often available for phone consultation on this matter.
Ring, ring... is this the White Courtesy Phone...?
When I called Partzilla they said was the whole new piston SMC.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The bike was purchased from a private seller in AZ, I trailer it back out of state. The seller said he was second owner and only rode the bike seldomly after himself buying a new bike. I test drove the bike in AZ it seemed fine at the time, but after the first week it seemed to lock the brakes after restarting the bike. I drove it on the freeway a few days ago my speed was reduced from rear caliper dragging and on freeway ramp locked up was able to free it up after 3 minutes pumping the rear brake. took it to a friends place and took the rear caliper off and cleaned up the pads and rotor sanding and filling removed some rust and using brake bleeder put in new fluid. The front right delay valve has a stamped like bottom cap that busted out and only leaks when rear brake is pushed down. so after find out the SMC is the issue I ordered one from Partzilla but its not in stock waiting to hear back but probably going to order from another site that says it has in stock but could be a two week wait.
I’ve got to ask….did you flush/bleed the brakes in the correct 7 bleeder sequence?
You probably damaged your rear caliper mounting bracket (common when SMC locks up) and you may have compromised your rear brake lines from heat damage.
The rear wheel also has a sequence that it gets torqued down with etc.
Do you have a service manual?

I had the same lock up issue a couple days ago while riding in the rain, I stopped to put my rain jacket on and after getting back on the interstate brake siezed... got off interstate and trailered bike to dealer 1.5 hours away. My question- is parts still available? I melted the brake lines, brake pads and I don't know what else...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Oh dear.

First do not believe anything that the previous owner told you. There is no way that the bike would not be draggiing its brakes when you looked at it and then immediately start dragging after you had ridden it - unless the fault was there in the first place. The locking of the brakes is a gradual process. Admittedly it is a rapid gradual process, but you get warning signs - and you have now had your fair share of those. You won't get any more before the final catastrophic lock-up.

1. Do not ride the bike.

2. Get a workshop manual

3. Whatever you may know about previous bikes, pretend that you don't. Check on here before, during and after you work on each component. Between us we have a great deal of expertise. We have discovered/made all of the mistakes and generally know how to avoid them.

4. Buy plenty of crush washers. They don't have to be Honda. I buy 100 at a time for a few £££ - from on line bike dealers.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The good news is, the SMC is still available, as of late.
Do not get the rebuild kit - see above for the correct part numbers.
EDIT: and consider that there is a BIG difference between a brake "sticking", and melting brake lines.
Just imagine how HOT (friction) it must have been in order to for that to happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom