2004 ST 1300 brakes

Bike
2021 R1250RT
More common than you'd think or hope for.
Some folks have no idea was drag feels like, or noise sounds like, and they just keep riding, then are surprised when things start melting.
b5HFAT9.jpg
Geez, you could cook some hot dogs on that....

OP
OP
thanks everyone, replaced the broken delay valve and secondary master cylinder. the bike rear still locking up after five minutes of riding. Im looking at the rear master cylinder being the main issue now. going to take it apart and see if I need to order a new one.

Bike
ST1100Y and ST1300-2
From personal experience it is very much worth speaking to Larry ( igofar ) or John ( jfheath ), the ST1300 brake system being linked is not simple to understand or bleed.

My rear dragging brake problem was eventually solved by fitting genuine Honda brake pads all round. The EBC pads fitted were causing my issues, BUT mine never got to the stage of locking up the rear wheel.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
When it locks up, did you open 1 of the two bleeder screws at a time on the rear caliper to determine which braking force was being applied? (the center piston is rear foot pedal or two outside pistons activated by the SMC)
Maybe you can narrow down where the braking force is coming from? Doubt it's your rear master cylinder. Sounds like a thorough bleed still needs to be done.
Good luck

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
While opening bleeders may reveal which circuit has pressure, it can also fool and/or trick you into thinking it’s pressure, when it was really misaligned parts that settles back into position etc.
Often, if not always, when I find a damaged SMC, I always find a damaged rear brake caliper bracket.
The damaged SMC always seems to take this part out with it.
I would seriously start inspecting stuff one by one, before you start throwing parts/money at it, or you could be wasting a lot of money and cause yourself a lot of frustration.

OP
OP
When it locks up, did you open 1 of the two bleeder screws at a time on the rear caliper to determine which braking force was being applied? (the center piston is rear foot pedal or two outside pistons activated by the SMC)
Maybe you can narrow down where the braking force is coming from? Doubt it's your rear master cylinder. Sounds like a thorough bleed still needs to be done.
Good luck
was completely bleeded and add new brake fluid with bleeding tool to remove the air.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
was completely bleeded and add new brake fluid with bleeding tool to remove the air.
Who bled the system?
If it was a shop, chances are it was not done correctly.
And since the SMC was replaced, there are a few steps that were not described in the service manual…..
Again, standing by the white courtesy phone:rofl1:

OP
OP
Who bled the system?
If it was a shop, chances are it was not done correctly.
And since the SMC was replaced, there are a few steps that were not described in the service manual…..
Again, standing by the white courtesy phone:rofl1:
how do I call you?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
how do I call you?
Look on the blue banner, to the right of the hamburger menu and "st-owners.com" where you'll find an icon that looks like an envelope.
Click that.
Select "start a new conversation" and you enter @Igofar as the recipient. It will autofill his screen name.
Send him your phone number, and he'll call and / or text you back.

I had the same lock up issue a couple days ago while riding in the rain, I stopped to put my rain jacket on and after getting back on the interstate brake siezed... got off interstate and trailered bike to dealer 1.5 hours away. My question- is parts still available? I melted the brake lines, brake pads and I don't know what else...
Da
I had the same lock up issue a couple days ago while riding in the rain, I stopped to put my rain jacket on and after getting back on the interstate brake siezed... got off interstate and trailered bike to dealer 1.5 hours away. My question- is parts still available? I melted the brake lines, brake pads and I don't know what else...
Parts are available- dealer parts and labor $2600... yuk!
So debating on purchasing a 2018 or 2023 Goldwing - if my wife likes the test ride on the back... she is no longer comfortable riding on the back of the ST. Hopefully dealer will give me a decent value for ST.

If she does not like the Goldwing, then I think I will fix the ST and keep it.

Anyone on list purchased a new gen Goldwing?

OP
OP
Da

Parts are available- dealer parts and labor $2600... yuk!
So debating on purchasing a 2018 or 2023 Goldwing - if my wife likes the test ride on the back... she is no longer comfortable riding on the back of the ST. Hopefully dealer will give me a decent value for ST.

If she does not like the Goldwing, then I think I will fix the ST and keep it.

Anyone on list purchased a new gen Goldwing?
I was able to get my bikes rear brake issues fix. I had to replace secondary master cylinder, delay valve, rear caliper, rear pads, rear rotor, and repaired rear master cylinder... and bleed the brakes. The bike is all good now. I hope you keep your bike, but goldwing is still a nice option.

Top Bottom