2005 ST1300 Not Charging Help???

Happy Friday all!
Good morning I recently went to the local car wash to give the ST a quick wash and was careful not to flood or spray the high pressure stream into the engine compartment etc..
Started the bike up no issues and drove home to dry off and detail. Upon noticing the motorcycle State of charge was low ???? *****???? I previously installed a battery/charging monitor being a previous owner of a Blackbird and current owner of a VFR and aware of the R/R stator issues and Mosfet R/R replacement and monitor replacement. Looked at all the fuses battery tested fine. Removed Tupperware and examined all of the yellow ground connectors opened and verified clean and unburned not corroded. I have the ST down to the throttle body and when we (fellow ST forum member) got the air cleaner box off noticed the rubber heat/splash shield was missing. Could this have been a contributing factor of alternator failure?? Also does anyone have a definitive way to confirm the alternator is indeed bad? I can take it out and bring to a local auto electric shop to have him test it. He is aware that it is not belt driven unit.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I would first charge the battery and give the bike a day or two to dry out before taking anything apart.

OP
OP
chrisemme1
I would first charge the battery and give the bike a day or two to dry out before taking anything apart.
Yes Larry I had done that prior to (Johnny 5 voice) disassemble. This occurred last week and let it dry out and also ran for a few hours with charger attached to help keep supply current so it wouldn't die in 20 minutes and suffer low voltage issues as well.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Just to confirm it's the alternator....

1. check battery voltage with the bike off.
2. check voltage with bike running at idle.
3. check voltage with bike running with engine around 2K (above idle)

If the voltage doesn't go up, or drops then the alternator is indeed suspect.

If the bike just doesn't want to turn over after sitting and the battey is low, it could be a bad battery or it could be some other component that got wet and is now causing a parasitic drain.

4. with the bike idling, disconnect the ground from the battery. If the bike dies instantly then yup, the altenator isn't putting out enough juice.
5. if it stays running, throw your meter on the battery feed wires (battery still disconnected) to see what voltage the bike is outputting. Then rev it up some to see if it dies. The alt could be putting out some power but not enough for a higher draw.

Top Bottom