2005 ST1300ABS Engine Cutting Out Under Moderate Mild Acceleration

STlicious

Brad
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I need some help diagnosing what began as a minor annoyance a few weeks ago that became almost a "stranding" event today. The patient is my 2005 ST1300ABS that just hit 100,000 miles as of last week. I have had zero issues (other than self inflicted) in those 100,000 miles hence my lack of experience in diagnosing issues. Symptoms - about 3 weeks ago I noticed that under acceleration the engine would cut out slightly but quickly recover while only occurring intermittenly. However, the issue occcurred more and more frequently until it would happen under moderate acceleration and finally escalating to today when even under mild acceleration the engine was cutting out, sputtering, surging, cutting out and causing the bike to jerk forward and backward. The smell of fuel also accompanied the behavior today and was present when I pulled in to the garage to park. No discernible leaks were readily apparent. The engine displayed the same behavior while in neutral in the garage when the engine was revved up. Possible other factors: I was running on reserve fuel and it was pushing 100 degrees outside when I was riding.

My inexperienced guesses are: 1. Fuel pump, 2. Fuel filter, 3. Clogged jets, 4. Demonic possession.

I am not afraid to tackle the work once the diagnosis and cure have been identified, I just lack the knowledge to rule in or out the various possibilities, though willing to learn (teach me to fish kind of thing). Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Brad

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Your fuel pump is dying.
If you replace it with an aftermarket one, DO NOT use the fuel line supplied with the pump as most are not to be submerged in fuel like the OEM Honda line is.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Until I read Larry's answer about the fuel pump, I was going to suggest something completely different. His solution is probably closer to the mark.

But (I'll mention it anyway) mine did something similar when the HT leads started corroding. Put the engine under load it would falter. Increase the power it would pick up. It got gradually worse until in order to keep it going, it needed the revs to be high. It all went away with new leads and new plug caps. I guess the higher revs generated more electrical oomph to overcome the corrosion resistance in the HT leads.

Smell of fuel was also present - and some backfiring, as without a spark, unburned fuel was being pushed through the exhaust.

Might be worth checking - along with the connector for the fuel pump motor.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
My inexperienced guesses are: 1. Fuel pump, 2. Fuel filter, 3. Clogged jets, 4. Demonic possession.

Brad

I pick door #4, Demonic Possession! follow Igofar's instructions for Exorcism. Had the same symptoms and cure a couple years ago. Dont overspend on the fuel pump!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The quantum are plastic instead of metal like the factory one, however, they seem to hold up pretty well.
The only thing I caution you about these, are DO NOT use the fuel line that come with them!
They are not designed to be submerged in fuel, and swell up like a walnut, and start springing leaks in a couple thousand miles or two months etc.
You will hear your bike winding up, and pressurizing, but then it will bleed back down and run like crap, and you won't see what's happening.
ALSO, use the Honda OEM gasket, fuel filter, and two pieces of hose.
Be very careful when tightening the fasteners, they have a certain ORDER in which they go in, and its different between years (read your service manual)
Do NOT try and use a torque wrench, unless its a snap on grade, calibrated within the last couple months, stored correctly, or you WILL snap off the stud on the lower tank, and be tearing your bike in half to replace a new tank.
ALSO, be very careful seating the assembly on the lower tank surface, as it is very thin metal, and you can damage it quite easily.

OP
OP

STlicious

Brad
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Is the recommendation to replace the OEM gasket with a new one or reuse the old one. I am pretty sure a new gasket is recommended given the relatively low cost.

Brad

Bike
2010 ST1300
Use a new OEM gasket. I've never tried to save a few bucks by reusing an old gasket - it always seems to come back and bite me when I try to do that. I've seen that mechanics w/ a lot of experience seem to know when they can reuse old soft parts - but I don't have that experience.

I think Honda's manual says to use a new one too, and don't forget the tightening sequence. The metal is thin - don't over torque the screws.

OP
OP

STlicious

Brad
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I reached out to HighFuelFlow.com and checked with them on the specs of the included fuel hose as to whether they were submersible or not. I was assured they were submersible. So in two months I guess I will be finding out for myself should I end up replacing them or not.

Brad

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Doing a little surfing I ran across this after market replacement from Quantum. I have seen it mentioned in a couple of threads. Thoughts? https://tinyurl.com/2uw6b8w5

Brad
I installed a Quantum kit similar to that one in my ST1300. At the time I did this job the fuel filter was not available except OEM from Honda so I ordered from Honda the filter p/n 16900-MBG-013 and to make sure the kit fit everything I purchased the Honda fuel hose A 16711-MCS-G00 and fuel hose B 16712-MAT-D01. I researched them and Quantum is one of the world's largest OEM and aftermarket supplier of fuel systems. I found it hard to believe they routinely supply hose that is not compatible for immersion in gasoline. Nearly all fuel pumps for more than two decades are installed in the tank and are designed to be immersed their entire service life. Perhaps a mistake on the installer or the manufacturer let a few non-gas rated hoses through for this forum to find. Quantum offers a lifetime warranty and that would be a lot of warranty claims if the hose was not compatible. Still, the OEM hoses are less than $10 for both and if it eases the mind I would order the Honda hoses. Always a new gasket p/n 17574-MN-000.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I reached out to HighFuelFlow.com and checked with them on the specs of the included fuel hose as to whether they were submersible or not. I was assured they were submersible. So in two months I guess I will be finding out for myself should I end up replacing them or not.

Brad
You will. I've replaced several for folks who tried to save $5,
Quantum and Highfuelflow will tell you what ever you want to hear to sell things.
If you search through some of the pictures of failed hoses on the forum, you'll find several of the ones I've replaced that left folks stranded on the side of a lone desert highway.
When you get the kit, and inspect the 1 piece of hose your suppose to cut into two, you'll find white braded line throughout, generic over the counter, cheap fuel hose.
The honda stuff is smooth/shiny, and is marked submersible right on the hose.
Your $, fix it now, and fix it again later.
Just figure in the cost of another gasket for the repair the second time :rofl1:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You will. I've replaced several for folks who tried to save $5,
Quantum and Highfuelflow will tell you what ever you want to hear to sell things.
If you search through some of the pictures of failed hoses on the forum, you'll find several of the ones I've replaced that left folks stranded on the side of a lone desert highway.
When you get the kit, and inspect the 1 piece of hose your suppose to cut into two, you'll find white braided line throughout, generic over the counter, cheap fuel hose.
The Honda stuff is smooth/shiny, and is marked submersible right on the hose.
Your $, fix it now, and fix it again later.
Just figure in the cost of another gasket for the repair the second time :rofl1:
I'm seeing recurring patterns...

non OEM fuel hoses,
non OEM brake pads,
rebuilding the SMC vs replacing,
reusing the rear brake caliper bolt,
bleeding either just one set of brakes, bleeding them out of order, or just bleeding them as we wish,
and you beating a dead horse. :beatdeadhorse:

It's amazing we all aren't dead in a ditch somewhere.

Thank you for your continued patience and attempts at leading us to enlightenment and I apologize for our continued combined ignorances. :)

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Had the same issue. I changed plugs, cap, coils, and wires. Fuel pump, fuel regulator, fuel filter, speed sensor, cleaned 5T, and temp sensor.. ...

I recently replaced the crank position sensor on the front if the engine.. I'm at 1500km and pulling strong..

Enjoy have fun
Screenshot_20230722_032630_Babbitts.jpg

OP
OP

STlicious

Brad
Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Fuel pump replacement successful. Patient already up eating up some miles on its first test run. Only Quantum part I used was the pump itself with all other needed parts being OEM as highly recommended by a number of forum members. Thanks for everyone's input and advice. Makes me feel confident the job was done correctly and that I can go another 100,000 miles before I have to do it again.

Brad

Top Bottom