2006 1200GS

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
A friend has offered me his 1200GS for a really attractive price. I currently own (and really like) an '05 ST1300 and the GS would be a second bike for "adventure" type riding...maybe Alaska??? I'm looking for input on the BMW...are there recurring mechanical challenges? Any input on the GS would be welcome.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
You'll probably get more responses here. I don't own a 1200GS, but an F800GS. I weighted back and forth, and I decided on the 800GS. The ST13 and the 12GS were just too close in usability. The 12GS is a pig to take offroad compared to an 800GS (weight-wise). I still have my 05 ST13 for touring.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What's the price? I have a friend that has put over 170k miles on his 02 GSA. He did purchase a warranty and has had several small and a major issue taken care of enough to pay for the warranty 10 times. He doesn't care for the 1200s but I'm not sure if there's anything about that or he's just loyal to his 1150.

If you're really interested in an ADV bike I think the Vstroms are great entry level bikes for someone looking to a bike that will tour and do some light off road work.

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
has had several small and a major issue taken care of enough to pay for the warranty 10 times. He doesn't care for the 1200s
I can see why. Any idea what the nature of the "major issue" was? Final drive by any chance?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I can see why. Any idea what the nature of the "major issue" was? Final drive by any chance?
Not at all... some bearing in the transmission... it would have been a simple cheap fix but he kept riding it another 300 miles and it was shot by then but he knew the warranty would cover it.

He has changed the rear FD out I believe because he found one on ebay... there wasn't ever anything wrong with the original one but I think he just replace due to fear..

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
The 12GS is a pig to take offroad
The term "offroad" covers a lot of territory. My previous experience was dirt biking (mostly single track trail riding) and I can imagine some situations where a 1200cc bike weigh 500+ pounds would have been a disaster. OTOH, riding such a bike on a fire road in reasonable condition doesn't seem like much of a stretch. So, I am not looking for a "dirt bike" per se...rather a bike that is at home on dirt/gravel roads as well as cruising at 70MPH on a paved two lane or interstate. At least I THINK thats what I'm looking for. Actually, my friend has become a frequent riding partner (also retired) and is buying a new GS...which frees up his '06 GS for me. So, I'd have a regular riding companion with a similar mount.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
That is a tough choice. BMW makes a nice bike, and their owners brag about how great they are to ride. The GS is the most interesting BMW to me. On the other hand, if you were headed on a trip...for example, Alaska as you mentioned...Asian brands have a much better dealer network, as well as the parts being cheaper. Consider that for the cost of a used GS, you could likely buy a new Wee-strom and end up with a full warranty, or buy a lightly used one you could get an extended warranty for, for half as much.

I think you would be quite happy with the GS as long as it doesn't end up having final drive issues...those can get quite costly.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a friend that has one. Bill is a long distance rider and been to AK several times. His 2005 R1200GS had 4 final drive replacements in 175,000 miles. The FD failures were all covered under the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty that was standard back then. The 4th one was installed right before he traded the bike. The warranty saved him about $10,000 by his reckoning. BMW changed the warranty after 2005 or 2006 to 3 year/36,000 miles however Bill likes the GS so much he traded his 2005 on a 2010 which is a pretty strong recommendation. It is thought that FD failures only affect about 5% of bikes. That is a very high failure rate for any sophisticated piece of machinery but go figuring that 95% of bikes will not have this problem. This link has some information on extended warranties on a GS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272814

Bike
2006 ST1300
It is thought that FD failures only affect about 5% of bikes.
That would mean out of 100 bikes, there should be 5 failures...your friend had 4 on ONE bike...kind of throws those statistics out the window. I know of several people with BMWs who don't put on nearly that many miles, and each have had multiple replacements. Not trying to turn this into BMW bashing...our STs have had their own issues...just pointing out that it might have been BMW who came up with that so-called 5% failure rate to downplay a known issue.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That would mean out of 100 bikes, there should be 5 failures...your friend had 4 on ONE bike...kind of throws those statistics out the window. I know of several people with BMWs who don't put on nearly that many miles, and each have had multiple replacements. Not trying to turn this into BMW bashing...our STs have had their own issues...just pointing out that it might have been BMW who came up with that so-called 5% failure rate to downplay a known issue.
This is not BMW bashing, we are just talking about personal knowledge of bikes with a problem in this system. I think I first read the 5% figure in BMW Owner's News, the monthly publication of BMWMOA but it has appeared in other publications like MCN that did their own reporting. BMW has never admitted there is a problem but NHTSA recently opened an investigation into similar failures on certain models of K bikes. Unofficial statistics come from events like the Iron Butt Rally where FD failures in recent years are documented.

Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #
Other than the well documented FD issues it's worth mentioning 2006 had servo brakes (on ABS bikes) that were ditched in 2007+. Some love them, some hate them. I happened to think they were great once I got used to them. If the servo module craps out it can be big $$$. I love riding both the 1150 and 1200, fantastic bikes. ADV has all the scoop on the GS quirks...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Well, it looks like I'm buying the GS. Roade it about 90 miles (all pavement) yesterday and I really liked the bike. The boxer engine is WAY different than the ST's V4...something of an acquired taste. But after an hour into the ride I began to "get it". Since it was a cool day (mid 40's) and I had no electric gear on, I really noticed how much cooler the bike is, so that will take some adjusting. The heated grips on the GS range from comfy (on low) to scalding (on high)...much more effective than the aftermarket heaters on the ST. The GS was somewhat noisier and windier than the ST...but not so much that I really objected. Still, I'd seriously consider a bigger windshield for cold weather rides.

Already planning some farkles...starting with a fuseblock. Probably share my Zumo between the ST and the GS. Need to add a power outlet for the Gerbing. The bike comes with a Sargent saddle...I'll give that a shot...early reaction was "not bad".

I will use the GS for riding secondary and fire roads in north GA mountains. Remains to be seen what I'll do with the ST, but for now, I'll own two bikes.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Sounds cool...good luck with it! I like the idea of what the GS is...I always wished I could try one for a long ride to see how they are.

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Last year we bought an '05 R1200GS with 32k on it that's stored in Heidelberg, Germany. We then flew over and rode all over western Europe for the month of September logging 3,500 miles. On the last night, my wife turned to me and said, "Are you going to miss this bike like I am?" That's quite an endorsement as she has ridden with me many thousands of miles on Wings and has never said that about them.

The low end feel is certainly different than either my Wing or ST1100 that we have here in the States. But once at speed, the ride is great. Running through the twisties is pretty fun.

Now, to get back and ride it some more.

Well, it looks like I'm buying the GS. Roade it about 90 miles (all pavement) yesterday and I really liked the bike. The boxer engine is WAY different than the ST's V4...something of an acquired taste. But after an hour into the ride I began to "get it". Since it was a cool day (mid 40's) and I had no electric gear on, I really noticed how much cooler the bike is, so that will take some adjusting. The heated grips on the GS range from comfy (on low) to scalding (on high)...much more effective than the aftermarket heaters on the ST. The GS was somewhat noisier and windier than the ST...but not so much that I really objected. Still, I'd seriously consider a bigger windshield for cold weather rides.

Already planning some farkles...starting with a fuseblock. Probably share my Zumo between the ST and the GS. Need to add a power outlet for the Gerbing. The bike comes with a Sargent saddle...I'll give that a shot...early reaction was "not bad".

I will use the GS for riding secondary and fire roads in north GA mountains. Remains to be seen what I'll do with the ST, but for now, I'll own two bikes.

Top Bottom