2006 ST1300 ABS Light does not go out.

I plan on buying a 2006 ST1300P-A with 12,000klms on it. The bike is in good condition with the current owner having changed all the fluids, tyres, and installed a rear seat since he bought it 18 months ago. He has advised me that the ABS light does not go out when he rides it. Can anyone give me advice as to whether this is a major cost to repair by Honda. I intend to give Honda the bike to go over and do whatever is necessary to get it back to A1 condition, this is a keeper as far as I am concerned, always wanted one. I bought a 2013 Honda Intergra DCT last year as a commuter with only 5000klms and did the same thing through my Honda agent here in Dubai. They are a great bunch of guys and I trust them to make sure the ST will be kept in A1 condition and running order. Appreciate any advice/info you can share.

Honda ABS is robust and does not give many problems with the expensive part - the pump modulator. Most of the time a problem with Honda ABS is due to a damaged pulse ring on the wheel or a damaged wheel sensor.

Thanks Dave, I am guessing the owner may have caused the issue if he has changed the brake fluid. I am sure he knows what he is doing, he is a mechanical engineer, but Honda has the linked dual system and tied into the ABS so not something I would want to have a go at myself at this stage. Some great threads about the braking system in the forum so will get into those as well. We share a bike, the NC700, not sure if yours is the X or the D, mine is the D. Great little bike for commuting. Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

The manual has a spec for the distance or air gap between the plastic enclosed sensor and the pulse ring on the wheels. It could be something as simple as an improper gap or a damaged sensor.

Hi SMSW, thank you for your advice and help, at least it sounds as though it is not a disaster that is going to cost big bucks to fix, that is my main concern. I definitely want the ABS to work when I'm riding the bike. I downloaded an owners manual from way back in the forum tonight, but will source a workshop manual once I have the bike. I'll check the air gap in case it is something as simple as that. Much appreciated, thank you.

Thanks Phil, will also check that in the workshop manual, great to see the miles you've put on your bikes, awesome. Appreciate your advice, thank you.

If the wheels have been off they might have knocked a sensor.
The error codes should lead you to the source of the issue.
Good luck and welcome from Northumberland, England.
Upt.

I assume it is staying on all the time, but in case you didn't know - the ABS light stays on from start up until you get rolling the first 10 feet or so and then turns off until the ignition is cycled again. Part of the self check sequence to make sure the sensors are working (I assume).

Thank you,
Ryan

The abs light stays on to indicate trouble codes including but not limited to abs problems .
The procedure to pull the codes is on this site,
It could indicate a problem with the computer which could be around 1 K to replace if you cant find a used one , and used ones are getting rare ..

If the wheels have been off they might have knocked a sensor.
The error codes should lead you to the source of the issue.
Good luck and welcome from Northumberland, England.
Upt.
Thanks Upt' North, I am originally from New Zealand but raised in Blackpool, Lancs, and spent a lot of time up North on the west coast, Lake District, riding trials bikes in my younger days. Some great roads, Hard Knock Pass being an interesting one. Appreciate your advice, thank you.

I assume it is staying on all the time, but in case you didn't know - the ABS light stays on from start up until you get rolling the first 10 feet or so and then turns off until the ignition is cycled again. Part of the self check sequence to make sure the sensors are working (I assume).

Thank you,
Ryan

Hi Ryan_B,

Thanks for your advice, I have a Honda Integra DCT as well, I use it for commuting here in Dubai daily to avoid the traffic nightmare, and that has ABS which does go out after I move about 4 or 5 meters in the carpark. Hopefully this is only a sensor issue and can easily be fixed. Appreciate your advice, thank you.

The abs light stays on to indicate trouble codes including but not limited to abs problems .
The procedure to pull the codes is on this site,
It could indicate a problem with the computer which could be around 1 K to replace if you cant find a used one , and used ones are getting rare ..

Hi V8-7,

Thank you for your advice, I have asked the owner how many klms he has put on the bike since he bought it from the Police 18 months ago and he said only about 500klms. It has done just over 12,000klms as per the mileage on the display, so hopefully not too many for things to go wrong. I know he has changed the tyres, in UAE they make you change your tyres every 5 years, no matter the condition or wear, and I know he did not do it through Honda so I am optimistically hoping that is the issue. I'll err on the side of caution and keep US$1000 as negotiation value, thank you.
By the way I like V8's, bought a 2014 Infiniti Q70S ("M" model in US I think) with 12,000klms on it 18 months ago, like new, love the big lazy 5.6L V8, rolls along at 70mph with 1500 rpm but has 420bhp if needed, great. Hence why I want the V4, lovely under-stressed motor, will last a lifetime. Thank you again for your help.

I had a rear senor go last year - a bit of gravel got stuck between the sensor and the pulse wheel. It scratched the sensor just a little but that was enough to knock it out.
Check your sensors first as it's fairly easy. If you see damage, just replace. Mine was 20 EUR via ebay.

t.

I plan on buying a 2006 ST1300P-A with 12,000klms on it. The bike is in good condition with the current owner having changed all the fluids, tyres, and installed a rear seat since he bought it 18 months ago. He has advised me that the ABS light does not go out when he rides it. Can anyone give me advice as to whether this is a major cost to repair by Honda. I intend to give Honda the bike to go over and do whatever is necessary to get it back to A1 condition, this is a keeper as far as I am concerned, always wanted one. I bought a 2013 Honda Intergra DCT last year as a commuter with only 5000klms and did the same thing through my Honda agent here in Dubai. They are a great bunch of guys and I trust them to make sure the ST will be kept in A1 condition and running order. Appreciate any advice/info you can share.

Top Bottom