2006 ST1300 - Weep Hole Drippage

Bike
2006 ST1300
All I have an 2006 ST1300 with approximately 45,000 miles. I am the third owner and bought it last July. I replaced all the fluids when I purchased to include removing the radiator and flushing it out. Last weekend before going out for an overnight trip to P-Cola I noticed some coolant stains on the right hand side of the engine. The coolant reservoir was near the max line and not noticeably different from the level when I replaced the coolant in July. I pulled the right side cowl off this morning and cleaned up the side of the engine. The reservoir level was approximately the same as the prior weekend. I started up the bike on the center stand to see where the coolant was coming from. When the bike got up to temperature (three bars) I noticed about three drops of coolant that originated from the circular weep hole. I wiped the engine down again and approximately ten minutes later noticed a burp of brown colored coolant from the circular weep hole (see photo). I let the engine idle for another five minutes; no additional leakage noted. During this same time frame there was no fluid leakage from the square drainage port. The bike was on the center stand for the whole time; the fans kicked on three times; I revved the engine three times; ambient temperature here about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The leakage from the circular hole was not constant or steady.

2006_small_weep_hole.jpg

I've read through the majority of the coolant leak threads here and am wondering if 1) removing just the water pump cover to replace the seal and cleaning out the square hole channel will fix anything (read worth it) or if 2) I'll need to remove the whole crank case cover to replace the water pump mechanical and oil seal?

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
A few drips from the water pump is not a big deal, keep an eye on the fluid level and rebuild the water pump when it is leaking worse then that.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Mine was like yours.. it was on my mind all the time... Will I have failure away from home.... When.... when

I bite the bullet fall of 2019..
Its peace if mind to have it fixed. I done my own.. 5 inch vise and plumbing fitting the correct size

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
A small amount of leakage from the water pump weep hole (round hole) is acceptable. While no-one has quantified what a "small amount" is, I think that the '3 drops' you referred to is an acceptable amount. Personally, I don't think it is worth tearing the whole front end of the cooling system down to get rid of a 3-drop leak - I think the risk of introducing new problems and 'mission creep' is greater than the risk presented by a 3-drop leak.

For the benefit of others reading this discussion, there is a detailed explanation of the difference between the two different drain holes (square hole and round hole) at this post: ST1300 - Water Pump Weep Holes.

Michael

Bike
'04 ST1300,
Ha! Funny I should find this. I had a small intermittent leak onto my garage floor ( maybe dime sized ) so I read the forum help and decided to tear into it. For peace of mind. like Tdinova says. I also decided to check the 5-way connector under the throttle bodies while I'm at so do both at once. Wow! A lot has to come apart to get at it from the top. But I'm glad I did. Turns out the L/H water connector at the head was corroded both where the hose goes on the tube and where the oring sits on the head., I'm going to check the R/H one as well. AND the thermostat housing was starting to get corroded at the housing split. I think I remember Igofar having the same housing issue, or maybe someone else.

Mine has weeping hose all the way down to front clutch cover but oil was leaking and it’s not coolant leak.

Bike
'04 ST1300,
One other thing I should add. On all the aluminum hose attachment spigots there are casting lines in the housing. On mine a couple were fairly prominent which makes me think that over time that could be a leak point. I sanded mine smooth. Let's see.

STimpa

Livin my best life!
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If you don't rebuild the water pump, plz keep an eye on your coolant level. And not just by looking at the reservoir. The coolant stains the inside of the bottle and one can think they have coolant, when in fact they do not. Ask me how I know
A trip to Calgary and back again on an empty reservoir 2 years ago! If not for the spendy Ice I had in there and a fresh change of Amsoil before the trip, I am convinced I would have toasted my motor.

Top Bottom