Article [13] ST1300 - Water Pump Weep Holes

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
There are two 'weep holes' on a ST 1300 motorcycle. They serve entirely different purposes and have nothing to do with each other. Because the two outlets (the "round hole" and the "square hole") are located very close together, this sometimes causes confusion.

I'm not sure which hole you are talking about... your question suggests that you are asking about the "round hole" (the water pump drain), but that hole is very unlikely to get plugged up. The hole that is at greatest risk of getting plugged up is the "square hole".

Below you will find a series of photos that illustrates the path liquid travels before it drips out of either one of these holes.

First, let's identify the two holes. The photo below is of a 2012 ST. Early production models did not have the metal elbow and rubber drain hose extension on this hole -they just had a round hole. I think the elbow and rubber hose were added at the beginning of model year 2007 or 2008 production.

Drain Holes
Coolant Drain Holes.jpg

The round hole (upper hole) is the simplest and easiest to understand. It allows engine coolant to drain out of the water pump if there is a failure of the seals within the water pump. The two photos below show you everything you need to know about the approximately two-inch long path from the innards of the water pump to the round hole outlet on the side of the engine.

Front View of Round Hole
The snowflake-shaped thing is the water pump.
Water Pump Weep Hole Outlet - front.jpg

Rear view of water pump
You can see the little molded channel leading from the inside of the water pump to the round drain hole - look at the 4 o'clock position.
Rear View Water Pump.jpg

That's all there is to the round hole. Very simple, very straightforward, a very short drainage path that serves one purpose only. If you discover coolant (or, God forbid, oil) leaking out of the round hole, the water pump will need to be replaced.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Square Hole

The purpose of the square hole is to drain liquid from the 'V' between the two banks of cylinders. The 'liquid' could be anything - perhaps clean water from sources external to the motorcycle that gets into the V between the cylinders when you are washing the motorcycle, perhaps oil that leaks from somewhere (who knows where) into the V, or (most probably) small amounts of engine coolant that leak from hose connections in the 'V' area.

The next series of pictures will follow the path of liquid that drains out of the square hole, but in reverse. In other words, the pictures will start at the outlet of the square hole and work their way back until reaching the bottom of the V at the front of the engine.

Front of Engine (Water Pump Cover Removed)
Here you can see the square hole outlet in the lower left, and the inlet to the channel leading to the square hole.
Square Hole 1.jpg

Same picture as above, but before cleaning things up
When the water pump cover is installed, it creates a square channel that allows liquid and debris (usually sand that gets thrown up into the V by the rear wheel) to flow out the hole at the top, down the channel, and out onto the ground.
Square Hole 2.jpg

The opposite side of the above photo
The hole at the tip of the arrow is the same hole as the upper hole in the picture above.
Square Hole 3.jpg

This photo is taken from the front of the moto, looking aft at the front of the engine, after the big cover in the three photos above has been removed.
Note that the liquid (and debris) enters from the hole at the top, drops down about half an inch, then exits via the hole shown in the photo above. This chicane creates a problem: if there is a large amount of debris, the drainage path will plug up at this point, and it is very difficult to clean it out without full disassembly.
Square Hole 4.jpg

Finally, where it all starts
This photo shows the drain hole in the V at the front, top of the engine. It is the opposite side of the photo directly above.
Square Hole 5.jpg

If the drainage path between the hole in the V shown directly above and the square hole on the side of the motorcycle (shown on the first picture at the very top) becomes plugged, water will not drain from the V between the cylinder banks. The bottom part of the alternator may become submerged in liquid, and debris that accumulates in the V may be carried into the alternator by the liquid.

I hope this answers your question.

Michael

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is a really great pictorial of the ST1300 water pump and how it is integrated with the front engine cover.

If you note, the round hole, in the first picture, is actually a tube coming out of the round hole. This is what Honda did in 2008 and later to save them lots of money, because the dealerships were replacing the water pumps when it wasn't necessary. (I believe that my local dealer replaced the one on my '05, when it didn't need it) They often got confused with the square hole, thinking they were seeing coolant coming down from the VEE, thinking it was a water pump leak, instead of a loose coolant hose clamp.

I'll replace this line with a picture of a leaking waterpump! (once I take it)

Bike
2007 ST1300
My water pump mechanical seal failed recently and I replaced as per the service manual. The tiny round hole had coolant pumping out on first start up then after engine warmed it stopped. Still the manual states this is symptom the water pump mechanical seal needs failure -- so I did. Not a fun job but doable - so far mine has been OK.

Bike
2012 ST1300P ABS
STOC #
I've got a 2005 I've just started to check out thoroughly. There's been something leaking from the square hole - looks like antifreeze - but nothing from the round water pump seal weep hole

InkedIMG_0411 Modified_LI.jpg

OP
OP
CYYJ

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...There's been something leaking from the square hole - looks like antifreeze - but nothing from the round water pump seal weep hole.
Hi Dan:

That being the case, you can relax and ride the bike through to the end of the season (winter lay-up), and then attend to the problem over the wintertime. Just be sure to keep an eye on the level of the coolant in the coolant reservoir bottle on the other side of the bike. You can buy pre-mixed Honda coolant from any Honda automobile dealer - it's usually cheaper to buy it from a Honda auto dealer than from a motorcycle shop.

The leak from the "square hole" means that the liquid coming out of the hole is originating within the "V" between the cylinders. Most likely, you have a leak at a hose clamp somewhere near the thermostat.

It's a time-consuming (but not particularly difficult) job to do all the disassembly necessary to get full access to the coolant hoses within the "V" - hence my suggestion that you plan to do the work over the winter. You'll need to remove the upper fuel tank, the airbox, the throttle bodies, and the rubber heat mat. Once you have done all of that, you will have unobstructed access to the middle of the engine, where all the coolant hoses are.

There are lots of good "how to do it" posts here in the forum, especially in the ST 1300 Leaks sub-forum, that explain how to disassemble the above components. Considering that your bike is a 2005, which means that all the coolant hoses are now about 15 years old, it might be prudent of you to consider replacing all the hoses that are in the "V". If you have not done so already, you might also want to consider replacing the thermostat while you are in there.

Below is a picture that shows you what the middle of the engine looks like once all of the above-mentioned components have been removed from the motorcycle. All of the coolant hoses and the complete thermostat assembly and the radiator were removed before this photo was taken.

Michael

"V" between the cylinder banks
Between Cylinders.jpg

wow so much to think about!! maybe I did not get a thermo stat housing hose tight. that is what started all this fun.
Thanks Mike!!!!

Ph8

Bike
2004 ST1300abs
Need a torque rating guys.

I am currently in the put it back together mode from a water pump seal and bearing replacement on my 2004.

First off, thanks for the pics on the round and square holes and what they mean. This was extremely helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Time to put in the bolts for the water pump cover and the front engine cover. Parts guy said these are single use bolts as they stretch a bit by design at proper torque, so i do have new ones on order. This also explains why when I tried to reuse the bolts, they wouldn't tighten. I could feel some of them twisting, and actually broke one. I was trying for 10 ft lbs on my torque wrench.

My problem now is I can not find a torque spec for them. I even bought the Haynes manual for the bike and it says nothing. This bothers me as I don't want to guess like i was when i used 10 ft lbs and do not want more breakage or leaks or bolts backing out over time.

Good Evening!
Finding this post was very timely for me!
I bought a 2004 3 weeks ago and found coolant on the garage floor when I got home. After getting the plastics off the water pump weep hole was clean and since the antifreeze was evidently coming from the square hole I thought the leak was from the water pump cover and replaced that o ring gasket.
Still leaking coolant so I will be going into the top as you have suggested and replacing all those hoses. AND insuring the clamps are all tight.
Thanks!
MikeS
2004 nonABS

Update!
1. Emptying a full gas tank on this bike is a huge pain.
2. getting the throttle body assembly off is a huger pain. (thank goodness for the forum ideas on heating the boots)
3. DO NOT DROP SMALL OBJECTS INTO THE V!!! it will roll under the alternator and you will spend hours trying to get it out.
4. Only one hose was leaking. The 1.5 inch diameter one from the t-stat to the RH head.
5. gonna replace all the hoses anyway!

Thanks!
MikeS

Update!
1. Emptying a full gas tank on this bike is a huge pain.
2. getting the throttle body assembly off is a huger pain. (thank goodness for the forum ideas on heating the boots)
3. DO NOT DROP SMALL OBJECTS INTO THE V!!! it will roll under the alternator and you will spend hours trying to get it out.
4. Only one hose was leaking. The 1.5 inch diameter one from the t-stat to the RH head.
5. gonna replace all the hoses anyway!

Thanks!
MikeS
how did you determine the leak when you can't start the bike. Mike R.

That is a great question and I was super worried about that. The original plan was that if I saw antifreeze in the valley and could not tell where it came from, I would just replace all the hoses. Turns out the one pipe has been leaking for long enough that the fitting was stained by the antifreeze. There were even antifreeze "boogers" on the edge of the hose. This is first time posting a pic so hope it comes out.

Attachments

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is a great question and I was super worried about that. The original plan was that if I saw antifreeze in the valley and could not tell where it came from, I would just replace all the hoses. Turns out the one pipe has been leaking for long enough that the fitting was stained by the antifreeze. There were even antifreeze "boogers" on the edge of the hose. This is first time posting a pic so hope it comes out.
Make sure to replace the O-rings under the metal housing in your picture also.

waiting on parts. hoses, t-stat and o-rings should be here next week. for the small hoses I went to Napa and got 1/4" heater hose for the 6mm and 3/8" heater hose for the 10mm. will install those small ones tomorrow. Just as well since it is 21 degrees now and we got 4" of snow here at the house yesterday.

Attachments

Top Bottom