2007 ST1300 switchback help

Bike
2007 ST1300
I'm a new ST1300 owner. I recently purchased a 2007 ST1300 and would like to install clear turn signals/switchbacks. I've look around and checked ebay, amazon, etc. and noticed several different styles and prices. Prices can vary from $20 to several hundred dollars. Can anyone suggest the best and most cost efficient method to install clear lenses and switchbacks please? Thank you in advance! D

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You need to buy the clear lenses and then some switchback LED's to replace the stock bulbs.
The catch is to get the switchback LED's that are not too long or they won't fit.

Here's what I used:

Any LED that isn't much longer or wider than a stock bulb, and fits the OEM plug should work fine.

EDIT: I forgot the relay to prevent hyper flash. Don't use the resistors. One relay will do both front bulbs and both rear bulbs (if you replace them)

Relay - 2 pin LED flasher.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Can I buy just the bulbs? Or do I need the resistors too? I don’t want the dreaded flickering or have them die in a month. Thank you in advance.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Many come with the resistors and you don't have a choice. Just don't pay extra for them, and don't use them. Replace the flasher relay with an LED compatible electronic one instead, such as the below.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Can I buy just the bulbs? Or do I need the resistors too? I don’t want the dreaded flickering or have them die in a month.
Put LEDs in the rear signals, too, and get an LED-compatible flasher. No resistors; they waste the power LEDs save.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Just so I understand then... buy the flasher relay ($10 each), clear/white lenses ($40 for 2), and the bulbs ($?). Then hook them up without using the resistors? Is there a video or a tutorial out there that shows the install?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Just so I understand then... buy the flasher relay ($10 each), clear/white lenses ($40 for 2), and the bulbs ($?). Then hook them up without using the resistors? Is there a video or a tutorial out there that shows the install?
Exactly.

Check out this thread. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/white-on-yellow-flash-turn-signal-led-bulbs.176717/#post-2301919

With the exception of picking from the myriad of good and lousy choices for the LED lamps themselves, it's a pretty simple upgrade to install.

In that thread you'll find a link to the amazon listing for the switchback lamps and the solid state flasher I found worked for me and have been working perfect since. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JC2Z3TK

Here you'll a little more on the complete conversion to LED I've done on my 1300. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-st-today.166923/page-105#post-2293040 Note that at the time of that post I still had switchback lamps that were completely incompatible with the 1300's turnsignal housings - the ones I had initially purchased were too long and would contact the interior of the lens before the base of the lamp could seat in the socket. You've been warned already!

Oh, and I've blazed no trail here. Many forum members have done the same over the years. I've only been reported what and when I did this to my bike. Hats off to @Obo and others that either inspired me or showed me exactly how to do it!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Since you are new to the site and ST's, Welcome aboard.

You might find this helpful:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Exactly - as STRider said.

I have no absolute knowledge of this but it seems to me that the clear lenses for the ST1300 are made by one company in China in two versions — clear and smoke (or gray tint). When I bought mine prices varied but $25 was the most common.

These aren't of the greatest quality. Nothing like the custom ST1100 lenses commissioned by a member. Those are awesome. But the 1300 version is eminently serviceable once installed.

Note: the back of the reflector assembly has some flashing that won't allow the socket to seat. A sharp pen knife and maybe a small file are needed to clean that up.

As Andrew mentioned resistors are often included with bulbs whether desired or not. These are used to reduce the flash rate or 'hyper-flash' resulting from the lower current draw of the LED bulbs. One resistor is needed for each bulb. A two-pin LED compatible flasher relay is a much better way to go. Get your two front turn signal bulbs and an LED flasher. Then get your rear turn signal bulbs when you have time money inclination whatever.

A number of us have gone to clear lenses and flashbacks and I really like the look. But wanting some color in the front the position bulbs (little bulbs next to the headlight) were left incandescent and amber. Just because I like it. Shortly after I added the rear turn signals.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I recently installed switch-back front signals on Blue STar. They worked out very well. I bought the cheapy clear lenses,,, which are dicey quality,, but cost effective. No resistors required. And the bulbs work without hyper flashing. I have the Smart Turn System as well,, and the rear bulbs and signal relay are still stock. All is very good,,, and I am happy with how it worked out,, considering the cost. Oh,,, the supplied sockets were not needed,,, as the bulbs fit my oem sockets fine. Cheers,,, CAt'

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I recently installed switch-back front signals on Blue STar. They worked out very well. I bought the cheapy clear lenses,,, which are dicey quality,, but cost effective. No resistors required. And the bulbs work without hyper flashing. I have the Smart Turn System as well,, and the rear bulbs and signal relay are still stock. All is very good,,, and I am happy with how it worked out,, considering the cost. Oh,,, the supplied sockets were not needed,,, as the bulbs fit my oem sockets fine. Cheers,,, CAt'

I think the sockets are intended for those in places - cough, England - where the front signals are not configured as running lights, only turn signals. US models shouldn't need them.

Top Bottom