2010 ST 1300 Idles but dies when revv'ed

Folks

I think I put myself in an interesting, albeit ironical situation. I replaced all lights to LEDs and changed the relay to digital for turn signals. Through the process I switched on/off the bike without starting as I replaced the lights one by one. I had also left the key in auxiliary light position for few hours and net result was the battery was dead. Its a 'Voltz Power' brand. I then charged it back upto full and wanted to take the bike out for a ride. It started, idled fine, rode around the block fine but when I revved it upto 5000 or so RPM, the bike died and wouldnt start again.

The lights do come but the bike never started. I have checked the circuits to ensure no shorts on the bike and its coming clean.

Since then I have charged the battery to full, but the bike just doesnt seem to start though the lights do come on.

Few observations on the battery voltages:

When not starting the voltage is around 12.5V, with 95% capacity
When fully charged its at 13.4V at 100% capacity
When fully charged, and bike tried to start but wont, it drops back to 95% capacity and 12.4 - 12.5 V
I bought the bike used in June and the dealer sticker says its from that time.

Question, would this be the battery or can I check something else to confirm thats the problem or not? I am OK to replace a new one but the date of 6/2022 is causing me concern that I didnt screw up something else. Thanks much for your suggestions, guidance.

I think several switches stop starting, on/off button, start buttons need cleaned from time to time. Kickstand switch, neutral, clutch interface. Does fuel pump prime up when turned on...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Your battery sounds ok. I'd try jump starting it, using cables from a car (not running). If it starts, you have a bad battery. Fully discharging a battery can cause the sponge lead on the plates to flake off, reducing capacity and possibly shorting out one or more cells. AGM batteries are more resistant to this, but a full discharge is not good for them either.

More info, please. When you hit the starter, is the engine turning over smartly? Does the clock reset and the lights dim (symptoms of bad battery)? Does your fuel pump run and then shut off?

Changing light bulbs and doing what you did should not have affected the bike's starting.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You killed your battery.
Once they die, they don't normally come back.
The ST's are pretty picky about cranking power and a fully charged battery.
I'm sure if you look at your clock, you'll see it probably reads 1:00 am ;)
Put a proper battery in your bike (Yuasa) and don't waste your money on cheap generic batteries.

OP
OP
I just came to the auto shop and the battery tested OK. I will check on fuel pump when I get back. I will also try to put a video to get your thoughts. Also I was told to check on the spark plugs at the store.

OP
OP
You killed your battery.
Once they die, they don't normally come back.
The ST's are pretty picky about cranking power and a fully charged battery.
I'm sure if you look at your clock, you'll see it probably reads 1:00 am ;)
Put a proper battery in your bike (Yuasa) and don't waste your money on cheap generic batteries.
Yes it did read 1:00am before I yanked the battery. I will check on th fuel pump and get back

OP
OP
Update on the ironical journey:

I installed the battery back in the bike along with the leads from the bike. Gave some gas while starting and it came to life. I let it run for 15 mins (a bit of conensation came out of exhausts), red lined and it doesnt shut off any more. I am wired analytically and this bothers me as without any other changes it fired up. I went for a 50 mile ride, shut on/off multiple times and it fires up right away. Will test again tomm with cold start and report back. Thanks to all who have responded thus far.

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Since you had the battery out of the bike for testing at the auto shop, maybe you had a loose connection to the battery terminals and now that you have installed the battery back in place, you tightened them up securely? Could be the dealer never fully tightened the battery leads. :shrug2:

Bike
2009 ST1300
I'm not a real battery tender sort, the best charger I ever had I gave away, if there is no current draw while the bike is off, give it a start or a bit of 14.5 V every now and then, I recently lost my Jeep battery after shy of the five year warranty; but my own fault; I don't drive it, there's an actuator that continues to draw current every now and then while the vehicle is off.
All of my batteries except one have lasted around ten years, pull the negative terminal when you know you're gonna lay it up for a month or two. I've got too many cars and trucks and bikes to go around with a battery charger connected to them, get real.

OP
OP
Since you had the battery out of the bike for testing at the auto shop, maybe you had a loose connection to the battery terminals and now that you have installed the battery back in place, you tightened them up securely? Could be the dealer never fully tightened the battery leads. :shrug2:
Plausible. And the only other unscientific reasoning I have is that when I cleaned the battery I had it upside down and sideways etc. Not sure if that might have activated the acid mix inside enough. Anyhoo, hoping it was something minor as resolutions without root cause identification doesnt leave me in a good mental state.

OP
OP
I'm not a real battery tender sort, the best charger I ever had I gave away, if there is no current draw while the bike is off, give it a start or a bit of 14.5 V every now and then, I recently lost my Jeep battery after shy of the five year warranty; but my own fault; I don't drive it, there's an actuator that continues to draw current every now and then while the vehicle is off.
All of my batteries except one have lasted around ten years, pull the negative terminal when you know you're gonna lay it up for a month or two. I've got too many cars and trucks and bikes to go around with a battery charger connected to them, get real.
One of the places I ride is in the province of Ontario and I have been using a tender successfully. I have never tried to leave the hot terminal only on. Has anyone tried this in colder weather compared to BC?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Plausible. And the only other unscientific reasoning I have is that when I cleaned the battery I had it upside down and sideways etc. Not sure if that might have activated the acid mix inside enough. Anyhoo, hoping it was something minor as resolutions without root cause identification doesnt leave me in a good mental state.
What kind of battery is it? Flooded or AGM? Lithium batteries don't care about their position, but turning a flooded Pb-A upside down can kill the battery. Over its lifetime, lead is shed from the plates and falls to the bottom. Turning the battery up side down can allow this loose material to short out some plates. Since these are not sealed, acid can also flow out the vent holes.

Since you did not mention leaking acid, I'd guess you have a sealed AGM. These are more tolerant of position, but it is still not an good idea to invert an older battery.

OP
OP
What kind of battery is it? Flooded or AGM? Lithium batteries don't care about their position, but turning a flooded Pb-A upside down can kill the battery. Over its lifetime, lead is shed from the plates and falls to the bottom. Turning the battery up side down can allow this loose material to short out some plates. Since these are not sealed, acid can also flow out the vent holes.

Since you did not mention leaking acid, I'd guess you have a sealed AGM. These are more tolerant of position, but it is still not an good idea to invert an older battery.
Ah, learnt something new today. Yes its a sealed AGM and no signs of leakage whatsoever. The bike has been starting up daily. So I am suspecting it could be a bad install by the dealer which I might have inadvertently corrected.

Top Bottom