2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I visited another Triumph dealer today. The Tiger Explorer is the real deal. With a low seat I think it would be fantastic. Still trying to get a test ride. The Triumph rep was supposed to be around for that a couple days ago and didn't show up for whatever reason.

The dealer also sells Yamaha and Kawasaki so I sat on a Super Tenere, Versys (new, not mine), Tiger 800XC and Explorer one after the other. The Explorer fits me best, no question, even without a low seat. I had forgotten how tall the Versys is without a Spencer-lowered seat. The 800XC is the tallest of them all. The Super Ten is a contender but my heart is pulling me toward that cat.

This dealer was willing to drop the $495 freight charge, unlike the other dealer who said doing so would result in losing their franchise...seems like a load of BS to me.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Looked at one in the dealer today and they are nice bikes. I wonder how the wind protection is?

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Got to take a quick ride on one today. It was in town so I couldn't go too fast but believe me it wanted to. It was silky smooth. Smoother than the 800 I think. It is a lot more spunky than the 800 and the brakes were awesome. It feels more refined/tight/heay than the 800 but mine has probably loosened up some by now. I think it would be a beautiful road bike but think I like the 800 better for around town. I didn't make me start thinking of ways to trade.

I'm not one of those super riders who can get on any bike and feel at home. I need seat time. I would need to get used to this bike. It reminded me more of the Multi Strada and the Super Tenere with a really smooth engine than it did the Tiger 800. I felt right at home the first time on the 800, think I'll keep it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I'm in the serious bike looking mode and would really like an adventure bike...I think. I like the idea, but am not so sure the reality will match the fantasy. I like the weight, suspension, and ergonomics, but I'm kinda concerned by the weather protection.

Today I rode an Explorer and was impressed by the engine, transmission and the general riding experience. It was 97 degrees and I could feel the heat on my shins, something I don't experience on the wing, but it wasn't excessive. If it wasn't bad today I think it'll be okay. While the windscreen did a good job keeping the wind off my chest and shoulders, the wind did come over the top and hit me right in the face. I'd like a taller or shorter screen so it either goes over my head or just above my shoulders. The screen is adjustable, but I couldn't figure it on on the ride so I didn't adjust it.

The engine is fantastic, I did a little in town, some two lane and expressway and it's just an impressive lump. I thought the tranny was pretty good-I don't really remember it so it must have done its job. 70 mph is 4000 rpm, just like my ST was with a speedo healer.

The first time I took off I thought I was going to dump it, then I realized it's not top heavy, its just so tall that a little movement at the bottom of the frame results in a large movement at the seat, but it's so light there is really little chance of dropping it. The suspension has a lot of travel and really soaks up the bumps in the road. I went back and forth over a rough railroad grade crossing that gives the wing fits and it was a piece of cake.

I was surprised by the reach to the bars. Sitting on the bike in the showroom the ergos felt very upright, but on the road there was some forward lean to the bars. Reminded me of the ST position. Risers are available in 20, 30 and 50 mm increments, but the parts guy said the 50 mm would probably require a modification for the controls.

I need to figure out if I can live with this bike in the next couple days or if I need to look at the Trophy SE. By the time I add accessories to the Explorer (panniers, heated grips, etc), the price will be in the Trophy SE range.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Make sure you ride the Trophy first. I thought the leg position was too cramped - much more so than the ST. I rode both bikes back to back for about 10 miles each and I'd take the Explorer over the Trophy any day, even though I'm more of a ST type. I actually liked the wind flow better on the Explorer, too, but it had a larger windscreen.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I'm in the serious bike looking mode and would really like an adventure bike...I think. I like the idea, but am not so sure the reality will match the fantasy. I like the weight, suspension, and ergonomics, but I'm kinda concerned by the weather protection.

Today I rode an Explorer and was impressed by the engine, transmission and the general riding experience. It was 97 degrees and I could feel the heat on my shins, something I don't experience on the wing, but it wasn't excessive. If it wasn't bad today I think it'll be okay. While the windscreen did a good job keeping the wind off my chest and shoulders, the wind did come over the top and hit me right in the face. I'd like a taller or shorter screen so it either goes over my head or just above my shoulders. The screen is adjustable, but I couldn't figure it on on the ride so I didn't adjust it.

The engine is fantastic, I did a little in town, some two lane and expressway and it's just an impressive lump. I thought the tranny was pretty good-I don't really remember it so it must have done its job. 70 mph is 4000 rpm, just like my ST was with a speedo healer.

The first time I took off I thought I was going to dump it, then I realized it's not top heavy, its just so tall that a little movement at the bottom of the frame results in a large movement at the seat, but it's so light there is really little chance of dropping it. The suspension has a lot of travel and really soaks up the bumps in the road. I went back and forth over a rough railroad grade crossing that gives the wing fits and it was a piece of cake.

I was surprised by the reach to the bars. Sitting on the bike in the showroom the ergos felt very upright, but on the road there was some forward lean to the bars. Reminded me of the ST position. Risers are available in 20, 30 and 50 mm increments, but the parts guy said the 50 mm would probably require a modification for the controls.

I need to figure out if I can live with this bike in the next couple days or if I need to look at the Trophy SE. By the time I add accessories to the Explorer (panniers, heated grips, etc), the price will be in the Trophy SE range.
Did you ride the 2012? My friend just picked up a 2013 Explorer and I rode it. The motor is awesome and the wind protection was actually really good. I had no earplugs in with the shield in the lowest position and it was actually very quiet. The suspension is very stiff though. Even my friend, who is 250+ says it's stiff with him on it. Even with the preload backed off the fork is very harsh with little movement. After searching around it seems there are a lot of complaints about this.

If I was in the market for a new ADV bike this would be lower on my list just because of the suspension.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've read reviews which criticized the suspension and the Explorer message board has lots of posts about the harsh front end. I didn't think it was bad, but my comparison is the Gold Wing and a HD Low Rider. The Gold Wing is okay over small bumps, but the rear bottoms out over large irregularities and the anti-dive makes the front end harsh. The low rider has about three inches of travel. Maybe my standard is too low?!!

I got to thinking about the ergos and I believe that the problem with my reach to the bars is not the distance from the seat to the bars, but the width. They are very wide compared to my other bikes and I think I need to explore narrow bars along with risers.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
My friend also has a 2011 KTM 990 ADV and a 2010 KTM990 SMT.
He noticed the bars are wide too. He is going to install some risers. The suspension on the KTM ADV is worlds better than the Triumph. You can run into anything and not even feel it. We went on a rough road with the Triumph and he was hating it.

You would think they would put fully adjustable suspension on a bike in that price range. Just preload adjustment on the fork is a big disappointment. He said it feels like the fork has initial movement and then just has a sharp spike after that.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Don't discount the 800 and the 800XC? Besides the new trend seems to be "smaller" bikes. Be ahead of it.:) When the Explorers came out a lot of guys ditched the Tiger 800 for the Explorer. Now some of them are coming back to the 800. It's a really fun bike to ride and the lighter weight increases the fun factor immensely. I haven't ridden a Trophy but have the Explorer and would not trade my XC for one. The cruise is nice though. The 800 does turn a few revs but we have done a couple 500+ mile days two up with luggage and it never complained.

Nothing to lose from a test ride.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
So I went back this morning to look at the bar options for the Explorer, the sale gal and part's guy both said no problem swapping out the bars and I asked the service manager his thoughts and he sent me to speak to one of the techs. The tech says no way, no how can you swap out the bars because they are tapered and have holes in them that line up with the controls, heated grips ect. The bars are 1 1/8 at the clamp and 7/8 at the ends. So much for that, glad I found out before the purchase.

I rode the Trophy and it is a much better fit for me. It is a little short between the seat and pegs, but the US version gets the "Low Ride" seat as standard. You can swap it out with a standard seat which is about an inch higher. I really wanted the Explorer, but I'm leaning Trophy now. Gotta think on it.

I sat on the Tiger 800 and it's a good fit too. I just don't think I want an 800 cc bike. No reason really, it will be a one up bike so it's probably got more than enough motor for me. Maybe later.

Bike
Tiger Explorer
STOC #
I traded my 08 ST for the Explorer a couple of months ago. The bike fits me very well. One of my friends has the Trophy and he is a little cramped on it. I really like the Explorer.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Where I've been with my XR, I can't imagine using a 1200 cc +600# bike. My bike is sub 400# and it's heavy enough sometimes. And don't underestimate the "where does that road go?" syndrome. Next thing you know you are out on a logging access road up to your foot pegs in mud. Really only looked a few inches deep!
Just sayin'.
I've got to flog the thumper for the freeway runs, however.

Bike
Kawasaki Versys 1000
I just traded my overweight Triumph Thunderbird 1600 SE in on a 2013 Tiger Explorer 1200 XC-long name for a bike that most call the TEX. For starters it's is not an off road open desert over the rocks and through the fields type of bike. I have read a review that called it a Goldwing in GS clothing. It's the best road bike I have ridden. I did the GS and RT and loved them both. I nearly purchased an RT but wanted a bit of "dirt road" ability as I have been taking the Thunderbird on some in the past few weeks and it totally sucked. Like a Range Rover can go "off road" so can the TEX. It's really the most road worthy of the GS type of bikes with I think the KTM 1190 the "real deal" .

I loved the ride and feel of the GS but was totally unprepared for how much better I liked the TEX. It's all a personal choice.

DaveST is correct in that a 600 lb bike sucks in the dirt. It can go off road But on the road it's brilliant. I am totally upright and protected from most wind.Stock windscreen is pretty good with nice smooth air but I have a tall Cee Bailey coming for the winter. The bike is smooth and quiet and is quite fast. I wonder if it will keep up with the ST? 120 hp and 600 lbs. The triple had a nice growl when you twist the wrist.

Wrist twisting is fly by wire and very very sensitive to minute inputs. If you test ride keep this in mind on your first corner and keep that clutch covered to mitigate that power-there is a lot of it. Really fun bike to ride slow and precise on fire roads. I stick to ones that cars and trucks can go down. I don't venture off them in a huge bike. But the weight makes it a real mile muncher. 5.3 gallon tank give at least 200 miles but I have gone 225 and had a little left. I carry a Reda jug in my top case that give me a spare gallon. Top case has a plug built in at least the factory one. Redline is at 9000 RPM and the motor is so smooth and very quiet exhausts. Loud pipes don't save lives. Loud pipes suck.

The only downsides I have are a overheated gonads and a numb right hand both issues I have had on most every bike I have owned when riding in 102 degrees AGATT. I think I can mitigate both issues with bar end weights, grip puppies and some engine room insulation over under the seat. Unlilke my cruiser I can stand up on the pegs and keep things cool. A sheepskin seat cover also really helps This is not a bike to ride in shorts and flip flops, or a least I don't suggest anyone do.

I get over 50 mpg on regular and the factory side cases are fairly well built and hold a lot of gear. The bike is great for 2 up and my pillion says the ride is plush but not as nice as the Thunderbird 1600 which is a Triumph version of the Road King but heavier and smoother.

I have taken the TEX on a few heavily potholed dirt and sand roads and I have not laid it over yet as I find it stable and easy to ride. It's got traction control and ABS that you can turn off by pushing buttons

I have always wanted an ST but found them top heavy and hard for me to move around. I just turned 62 and got the bike last week. It only cost me a total kitchen make over but I got the garage thrown in as well. Right now our bikes are being kept in the living room. Wonderful having a wife who loves to ride. At first she hated the utility looks but now loves the cool matte green paint.There is no chrome to shine, no bare aluminum wheels to polish.

So my take on this bike is that it's the lightest sport touring bike out there. It just looks fugly to those who expect ST bikes to be smooth skinned.

Plenty of really nice details on my bike that came with engine guards, under engine skid plate, 55 watt (NOT LED) driving lights, a 950 watt alternator, electric cruise control, adjustable seat height and riser bar adjustable an inch or so.

Most of you most likely have read the reviews or seen the you tube videos for all the other gory details.

It's the most fun I have ever had on a bike and it's gotten me off those stupid cruiser bikes that I used to ride.

EDIT-1000 miles later-

Explorer continues to get better with break in. I added upper crash bars and proceeded to lay it over pulling out on a highway under construction hit a 2" edge and did not make it over. I was going about 10 mph and next thing I knew I was on my side sliding. The bike suffered zero damage save a few small scrapes on the side cases. I was wearing Motoport kevlar mesh, heavy boots and gloves, full face Shoei Multitec. Dusted myself off and went on my way. I was thinking that on my Pacific Coast it would have cost a lot more than zero. Nice having a bike that can drop and not suffer.
I have gone 2 up fully loaded 110 mph and the bike felt very planted and solid. Even better than just me. The upper crash bars and the addition of Manic Salamander bar end weights plus Grip Puppies have made the numb hand go away. This bike is very smooth and quiet. Loud pipes suck.
My only niggle is a slight whine from some harmonic at between 55 and 65 but if you move your body forward into the wind it goes away. I think it's something on the new engine breaking in and it's getting quieter. 23" Cee Bailey screen works great with a total pocket of calm air and very good rain protection.

I saw the Honda Crosstour and think it might be a good choice vs this Explorer but it ain't happening over on this side of the pond.

2nd EDIT-5000 miles now.
Bike continues to amaze me at how much fun it is to own. I had a recall letter from the factory for a ECM that was done in one hour. It's got a few 'quirks' like when you go to start it turns over, stops, then picks up again. Just hold the start switch. Never failed to start.
Got rid of the piece of crap Metzler Tourance EXP and went with Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trails. Wow-smooth and corners a lot better than I am at cornering. Solid in the rain and very quiet. Constantly over 50 MPG. I sat on a Trophy at bike nite and could not get it up off the kick stand as it was on an incline.

Last edited:
Top Bottom