2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
My local dealer has one of these. Way too tall for a short fella like me 5'6". It sure is a very nice bike. Attention to detail and fit/finish are top notch.
I was told that they are expecting their Trophy in the show room in November.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I've been hanging out at a Tiger Explorer forum the past few days. Some observations:

- Most people love the bike's power, handling and features.
- There are more than a few complaints about the motor rattling from the inside ("like a bag of nails" or "like a spraypaint can"), flat engine output, engine cutting out when coming to a stop, cruise control issues, engine heat, bad power ports, broken headlight adjusters, twitchy throttles...
- The people who are having problems seem to get crapped on by the people not having problems, as though by sharing with fellow forum members issues they're having with the product and experiences they're having with dealers and Triumph to get them corrected that they are besmirching the brand.

And over here at ST-O (and on the Kawi Versys board) we organize rides and talk about pie.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's pretty typical..

The ST is the same.. it's too hot, it's too heavy, it's too expensive, it could be more powerful, it wobbles at high speed..

There is no such thing as the perfect bike for everyone that does everything...

But, so much fun trying to find one.

The Tenere sounds like a Diesel when you first start it up, has loose spokes, vibrates too much, the tank is too small, the headlight connectors melt, the swingarm seeps, the seat sux.. LOL I really enjoy the bike.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Sometimes it's funny what will cause you to turn on your once favorite machine. Some of us are perfectly content with wobble, heat, whine, etc. and others wouldn't consider a bike that looked so bad without its side bags. LOL

I sold an Acura MDX because I hated the way it downshifted on the slightest hill. Some of the maladies Scott mentioned would make me think twice about buying the Explorer now.

It needs to be very close to mechanically perfect for me to consider it. Looks or something easily fixed by the after market doesn't bother me as much.

I'd buy a SupTen but they are more suited for inseam challenged folks. LOL

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I was stalking you ;) on the Explorer forum. I kinda thought you were getting disenchanted. It is a new bike and they are having teething problems. I suspect they will get most of the problems ironed out. I would still like to ride one, but don't think it would make me want to trade my XC for one.

The 800s have had some issues but Triumph seems to have them mostly worked out. Mine had a stalling issue, they re-mapped it and it's fine now. Some people whining about little things.

The reason I am on the Explorer forum is because mine makes the same "timing chain noise" as the 1200 just slightly different. The general consensus on the Triumph forums is that they have noisy valve trains. I'm not thoroughly convinced yet. I'm watching that thread and being patient.

Sorry for your let down. Go ride one anyways, try the 800 too. What do you have to lose?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Hondas can spoil one with their quality. Not perfect but pretty darn close. I read people's comments on the MOA forum that refer to Hondas as "boringly reliable" like that is an unfavorable trait. Those of us that have ridden Hondas extensively have had the bar raised for us by quality. It makes every other bike have to live up to pretty high standards. When I tell people I used to own a ST they ask if the RT is better. I say "no, just different". Are Triumphs better? It's difficult to tell since Honda doesn't offer large bore adventure bikes to compare with. That is sad.

Like cars, first production year models can be a risk until those little things get quietly sorted by the manufacturer. Triumph seems to be making a serious effort to steal BMW customers. I'd guess they will get the kinks worked out with their new models.
Mike

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I've been hanging out at a Tiger Explorer forum the past few days. Some observations:

- Most people love the bike's power, handling and features.
- There are more than a few complaints about the motor rattling from the inside ("like a bag of nails" or "like a spraypaint can"), flat engine output, engine cutting out when coming to a stop, cruise control issues, engine heat, bad power ports, broken headlight adjusters, twitchy throttles...
- The people who are having problems seem to get crapped on by the people not having problems, as though by sharing with fellow forum members issues they're having with the product and experiences they're having with dealers and Triumph to get them corrected that they are besmirching the brand.

And over here at ST-O (and on the Kawi Versys board) we organize rides and talk about pie.
We had this problem a while back with "The Pan Weave"... those that have felt it, those that haven't... those that would never recognize the fact it was remotely possible to have one. ;)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
It's a matter of degree, with the whining and crapping on people having issues on the Explorer board. I've been there only a few days and the pettiness of much if it is ridiculous. Guess I shouldn't be concerned about what people post on internet forums.

Anyway, I still like the bike, still trying to get one of the dealers to arrange a test ride, still trying to get a straight answer about pricing. If things don't start happening, it may give Honda enough time to introduce competitive bikes to the US market. Nah....

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Saw an Explorer go through town this morning. First one. Still have only seen one other T800 on the road.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - test ride

Yesterday after I tuned the carbs on the 1100, I decided to take her out for a spin. All was good on the test ride so I took a detour to PJ Triumph here in Albuquerque. I was hoping to have a good look at the new Explorer. I got more than a good look....PJ himself encouraged me to take out their demo.

First, I did not notice the weight of the bike. It did not have a full tank so the top heaviness was not felt. The seating position (high) was just right for me and my 31" inseam. There was no lean to the bars very upright.

Shifting was butter-like, nothing notchy just effortless. The number one issue was in the throttle control. There has to be some adjustment to the throttle-by-wire because it was difficult to control. Very small inputs and bumps in the road would induce a very noticable response.

After ten miles and intense concentration on the throttle the real fun began. South 14 out of Tijeras canyon is a good moderate twisty road and had been freshly repaved. From 3100 to my max 7000 rpm there is huge HP with no dips or surges. It will hold a line like a laser beam...extremely stable even at 90. With holigan speeds, I still need to stop and the ABS system did not disappoint. The throttle control was the issue on downshifts.

Stopping for the poor cell phone photo, there was some gravel roads in the pinic area which was comfortable. I was able to make a full lockout turn in gravel. Anymore than a good gravel road and that throttle it would be scary especially with a $15000 bike.

I am not shopping for a new machine at the moment but this one will be near the top. Still would like to ride a Tenere and maybe the new Honda.

Tiger Explorer test ride3.jpg
Tiger Explorer test ride1.jpg

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Hey, it's The Other George!!!! How are you, Michael??? Haven't seen or heard of you in a bit, there. Pretty much everyone that rides a fuel injected bike after a carbed one notices the twitchy throttle. Nothing to it, you just have to have a steady hand. It gets second nature after a bit. That is a very good choice for a bike. I have a 1050 Tiger, which is also a nice bike. If I could have afforded a new one, I probably would have gotten the 800.

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Hey, it's The Other George!!!! How are you, Michael??? Haven't seen or heard of you in a bit, there. Pretty much everyone that rides a fuel injected bike after a carbed one notices the twitchy throttle. Nothing to it, you just have to have a steady hand. It gets second nature after a bit. That is a very good choice for a bike. I have a 1050 Tiger, which is also a nice bike. If I could have afforded a new one, I probably would have gotten the 800.
Larry...What's up! "the other George!" I forgot about that. LOL

I have been good and busy. Been off the grid with a pursuit to become an RN. Nursing school just starting for the Fall in about a week. I will be up in Colorado from Monday to Thursday on the old ST. It will be good to get out on the road.

1050 Tiger??? No VFR. Those inline 3 cylinder motors are pretty fun though. Throttle-by-wire is more sensistive to input but I would manage if I had the cash. I could have taken the 800 out as well. I like the XC look and if I were to own one of those then Alaska would be routed on the zumo.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Good for you, Michael. That is an honorable profession & we for sure need more of 'em.

If you are through Cortez, stop by the Sheriff's Dept. & say Hey to Heather. She rides & can help you with places to go & stuff to see in the area.

That Triumph three is a great engine no matter what bike it is in. Smooth serious power from bottom to top. There is a program you can use to remap the FI. Me, I like the instant action--no waiting for something to happen when you twist it. Oh, and the Tiger is an addition--I still have the VFR along with 3 other bikes--all used of course..... I wanted to try a different style bike & it definitely is.

Of course, if you get a Triumph, you won't be The Other George anymore... :D

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
This post is from the Explorer board. I think the bird mistook this guy Richard for Rob Hephner.

Thought you might be interested/amused at my experience the other night.

I was just rounding a bend and accelerating to about 50mph when a pigeon flew off the verge and into my path. A bit of a thump and the windshield cracked. It was only when I looked at it from the other side the next day that I realised the hole was the shape of the bird. The attached photo shows it quite well.

The screen was a new Powerbronze flip. I think any screen would have suffered damage, as they are only built to stop wind. However, on a naked bike I would have had the thing in my lap.

Richard

Attachments

Top Bottom