2013 Yamaha Tenere

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
To any of you who might own this bike or close to it, I have a buddy who is buying this bike and supposedly it is a Canadian bike that reads in kilometers. Can the speed indication be changed to MPH on the computer? Pretty sure my FJR will go back and forth from KPH to MPH by choice on the computer menu.

What say ye on the Yamaha ST?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe a US model would allow it but the Canadian ones are stuck on Kilometers.

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Thanks Mellow. The bike does come with a Garmin so guess he can just read off that. Its loaded to the hilt with accessories. Some doctor guy traded it in on a BMW GS. He will probably live to regret that decision.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
According to the owner's manual yes, but I don't know if country specific makes a difference as Mellow wrote.

From the manual;
TIP
● To use the left and right buttons, the key must be turned to “ON”, except for the brightness mode.
● To switch the speedometer and odometer/tripmeter/fuel consumption displays between kilometers and miles, press the left button for at least two seconds.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Mellow. The bike does come with a Garmin so guess he can just read off that. Its loaded to the hilt with accessories. Some doctor guy traded it in on a BMW GS. He will probably live to regret that decision.
Not necessarily.
Both are very good bikes.
My MSF program director did the same, primarily for the comfort of his spousal unit. He enjoyed the Super-T, but they both like the big ole GS too.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Joe was correct. The 2013 US model can but the 2013 Canadian model cannot.
I just found the 2013 Canadian owner's manual. It doesn't have the same paragraph that I posted above in post # 4 as the US manual does, and I didn't see similar instructions elsewhere.

I wonder why they would make this different. There are many vehicles in Canada that can be toggled between metric and imperial units of measure, so it can't be a regulatory restriction.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Or celebrate it.

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Having had a BMW rear drive that failed twice I will never darken their path again. Give me Yamaha reliability any day of the week over BMW.

And plus one to anything that the gas gauge works on versus the Bavarian Motor Werks.. Even Harley knows how to make a gas gauge that works.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having had a BMW rear drive that failed twice I will never darken their path again. Give me Yamaha reliability any day of the week over BMW.

And plus one to anything that the gas gauge works on versus the Bavarian Motor Werks.. Even Harley knows how to make a gas gauge that works.
What year, model?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Those were some dark days for der Motorwerks. Made so much worse, because of their denial of any issue, later found out by Paul Glaves of Iron Butt Association lore. He discovered a bearing in the final drive was not properly adjusted at the factory, and his findings held weight with the riding community, having been a BMW-certified master mechanic.
Those IBR loyalists loathe to leave BMW actually entered the Iron Butt Rally, packing a complete final drive assembly to swap out on the road, should their bike grenade its motivation-connection while bonus-gathering and criss-crossing the countryside. There were more than one IBR entrant who did so, and at least one for whom it paid off.
At the same time, several others of the BMW faithful said "screw it", and simply switched to the Honda GoldWing. I believe one of them was Tom Loftis, another bonafide Big Dog in the tight-knit circle of Iron Butt finishers.
That in itself was more than quite remarkable, because you could hardly find more devoted loyalists to the propeller, than those who had ridden and finished multiple IBRs on those bikes. The howling and roaring on the ldrlist was something to behold, and went on for a couple of years at least.
I've never owned a BMW shaftie (only the 650 single, twice), but could actually see myself on a GS 1250 these days, for adventuring. I want to ride with Jim Hyde and his RawHyde adventure tours sometime. (The revised and reborn Africa Twin is making big waves in the adventure community, too.)

OP
OP
Mophead

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I rode K100RS's for fifteen years and never had any issues. Never. 200,000 miles plus and no problems.

Bought 2002 K1200LT and rear drive went south twice and then the bike got off loaded never to be seen again. Had a friend who bought one about a month after I got mine. His drive went south also.
Nearest dealer is 275 miles away so I'm back on reliable Japanese machinery. No more Beemers here. Don't have the time, money, or want, to deal with them anymore.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yeah, this occurred at about that time frame (off the top of my head; not reliable info).
When BMW first changed their final drive gear box to a "lifetime" fluid (with no drain or fill holes!) and the larger, see-through rear hub.
They did ultimately revise the rear end, realizing it would be a good idea to be able to flush and fill the final drive gear oil, after all.
So those drive issues were resolved, and I lost track of their current-day issues. Maybe it will be the chips or computers to adjust all the on-bike electronics, I dunno - the traction control, drive modes, suspension and all that jazz.

Top Bottom