2014 Honda CTX1300 vs 1999 Honda Valkyrie

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
All, I'm looking at getting another bike, in addition to the 1995 ST1100 that I have. These are the 2 bikes I'm considering. I'm looking for something that I can do long rides on with enough "oomph" to carry me, my gear and my lady...any thoughts on either or both bikes would be appreciated. As many of you know, I'm not that proficient in turning a wrench, so take that into consideration.

Thanks!

Tim

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I would think the CTX would be the better choice just due to the age difference. They can also be had for around the same money. Plenty of engine on the CTX and tried and proven in the ST although I understand a little different tuning.
I have always thought the Valkyrie Interstate with front fairing and bags is a good looking bike and would be suitable for two up just because it's on a Goldwing frame. Carbs versus FI and age although there are some low milers out there if you look close enough.
Have a friend who bought a CTX brand new at a deeply discounted price from original pricing. They didn't sell very well so some judicious looking might find you a new one for around $8000 with full factory warranty.
Good luck!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would say either bike would work great for that purpose. For more info on the CTX1300 you can visit CTX1300forum.com .
I am only aware of the older Valkyrie. A bit more familiar with the newer Valk. It does have a bigger engine and more power than the CTX. Acceleration is similar. Both are close to the same weight with the CTX being the same as the ST and the Valkyrie just a few lbs more. But they have different ergonomics. A test ride would be required to determine which fits you and your lady best. I felt the CTX has the best stock seat compared to any other bike I've been on and was good for all day (for me). I thought it was way more comfy than my ST1100 ever was. Check on CycleTrader.com for pricing on the CTX1300, which is currently very good even for "new" hold over stock if you can find it or low mile used bikes as well. Either bike should be easy enough for any Honda shop to work on since most of what would be needed is oil and fluid changes and tires. Both are relatively "open" designs compared with the ST or GW (the latest Valk is really a stripped down GL1800).

I do agree with the CTX1300 being a newer bike so less likely to have issues due to being more than 20 years old like the older Valk. And even if you don't do much of your own maintenance you could still change the oil if you choose on the CTX since no plastic needs to be removed. It does have most of the same mechanicals as the ST1300 with a re-tune of the engine to provide a very flat torque curve with strong torque starting at around 2000 rpm. I referred to mine as a cruising/tourer.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Haven't ridden the CTX but had a Valk as a loaner bike when I was getting my 600 mile service done on my ST1100. If I remember correctly the Valk was fast and smooth. It handled pretty good too. As in it would be a excellent road bike. If I remember this was the 1500cc valk. But I think I probably would go with the CTX if I don't do much wrenching. It is getting hard to find dealers who want to be bothered with working on a 20 year or older motorcycle. Plus the added fact that you have carbs makes it harder to find someone who is trained to repair them. I know at most motorcycle shops the machines are older than the stealerships mechanics.

OP
OP
Timmy G

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
I would think the CTX would be the better choice just due to the age difference. They can also be had for around the same money. Plenty of engine on the CTX and tried and proven in the ST although I understand a little different tuning.
I have always thought the Valkyrie Interstate with front fairing and bags is a good looking bike and would be suitable for two up just because it's on a Goldwing frame. Carbs versus FI and age although there are some low milers out there if you look close enough.
Have a friend who bought a CTX brand new at a deeply discounted price from original pricing. They didn't sell very well so some judicious looking might find you a new one for around $8000 with full factory warranty.
Good luck!
Thanks for your input - greatly appreciated! Tim

OP
OP
Timmy G

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
I would say either bike would work great for that purpose. For more info on the CTX1300 you can visit CTX1300forum.com .
I am only aware of the older Valkyrie. A bit more familiar with the newer Valk. It does have a bigger engine and more power than the CTX. Acceleration is similar. Both are close to the same weight with the CTX being the same as the ST and the Valkyrie just a few lbs more. But they have different ergonomics. A test ride would be required to determine which fits you and your lady best. I felt the CTX has the best stock seat compared to any other bike I've been on and was good for all day (for me). I thought it was way more comfy than my ST1100 ever was. Check on CycleTrader.com for pricing on the CTX1300, which is currently very good even for "new" hold over stock if you can find it or low mile used bikes as well. Either bike should be easy enough for any Honda shop to work on since most of what would be needed is oil and fluid changes and tires. Both are relatively "open" designs compared with the ST or GW (the latest Valk is really a stripped down GL1800).

I do agree with the CTX1300 being a newer bike so less likely to have issues due to being more than 20 years old like the older Valk. And even if you don't do much of your own maintenance you could still change the oil if you choose on the CTX since no plastic needs to be removed. It does have most of the same mechanicals as the ST1300 with a re-tune of the engine to provide a very flat torque curve with strong torque starting at around 2000 rpm. I referred to mine as a cruising/tourer.
Thanks, Bob. I'll go over to their forum and look around. Appreciate the input. Tim

OP
OP
Timmy G

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Haven't ridden the CTX but had a Valk as a loaner bike when I was getting my 600 mile service done on my ST1100. If I remember correctly the Valk was fast and smooth. It handled pretty good too. As in it would be a excellent road bike. If I remember this was the 1500cc valk. But I think I probably would go with the CTX if I don't do much wrenching. It is getting hard to find dealers who want to be bothered with working on a 20 year or older motorcycle. Plus the added fact that you have carbs makes it harder to find someone who is trained to repair them. I know at most motorcycle shops the machines are older than the stealerships mechanics.
Good point on the 20+ year bike getting worked on...thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated. Tim

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Your ST1100 has plenty of "oomph" to carry you, your lady and gear! You can add lots of farkles to it for the price of another bike. ;):dr112:

OP
OP
Timmy G

Timmy G

'96 ST1100
Your ST1100 has plenty of "oomph" to carry you, your lady and gear! You can add lots of farkles to it for the price of another bike. ;):dr112:
Very true, but I'm losing confidence in my '95 ST...it only goes 85mph comfortably before wobbling a bit, it didn't come with a service history and I don't want to pour money into it with a repair shop that sees a newbie like me coming...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Very true, but I'm losing confidence in my '95 ST...it only goes 85mph comfortably before wobbling a bit, it didn't come with a service history and I don't want to pour money into it with a repair shop that sees a newbie like me coming...
Does it wiggle more when riding solo? If so, try dropping the rear suspension a bit.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Several things to check for the wobble: suspension settings, wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, tire pressures/condition.

New rear shock made a HUGE difference on my ST. Their engines are about as close to bulletproof as any made.

And you have all of us ST-OWNERS to help you out!

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
And you could also check the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club Forum. Plenty of information on Valks like the one you are looking at there.

I have a 2003 Valkyrie Standard, great for two up riding. My wife loves it. And i have taking several long trips on it over the years. Will do one again in April I hope.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I wasn't a fan of the CTX when I took it on one of Honda's Ride With Us events a few years back. The stock setup made you feel every bump back thru the bars and after the 30min test ride I was sore. I expected a more cushy ride from it but after taking it for a spin I wouldn't want one without modifying it and hoping it helped.

If you are looking to compare the 2 ergonomically vs your ST1100 you can do so here: https://cycle-ergo.com/

Just put in the 3 bikes, your height & inseam etc and compare. You can also add the pillion for comparison.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Totally agree with the better mpg of the CTX1300 per the Valk or especially the F6B. I consistently ran at around 48 mpg on my CTX and often higher than 52 mpg when traveling LD. The ONLY time I saw 42 mpg on my CTX was when riding in temps well below freezing... which I do a lot of during this time of year.

A fresh/new CTX will have harsh suspension up front but that considerably eases with miles. I found that around 8000 miles the forks on my CTX were at least as good as my 98 ST was. There are many aftermarket solutions as well from simply changing out the fork oil to replacing with aftermarket forks. The rear shocks usually would be fine with simply adjusting them different than what the factory sets them to. There are 5 settings that can be selected simply by turning the barrel of the rear shock.

Reactions: Obo

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You have a 95 ST1100, does it have the alternator upgrade to 40A? you mention not too mechanically inclined...I would go for the CTX or step up to the ST1300. With the current trend in prices for used bikes you can find an excellent ST1300 for a good price.

Top Bottom