OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I guess I'm getting old because I think the bike performs pretty well.
Welcome to the old man's club, I'm quite happy with the power it can still get you into trouble. lol

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
Welcome to the old man's club, I'm quite happy with the power it can still get you into trouble. lol
+1. While it's handy to compare bike traits to the ST, our benchmark, the Super Tenere isn't going to match up well. But for me, it's got all the oomph I need or ask of it, it's a blast to ride, and I'm not at all interested in another bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Mellow, Can you give us some more info on your Panniers (Givi Trekkers?) Do you run a slimmer box on the muffler side to keep the width similar...are the brackets better that the oem pannier set? are they easily removable? Pics from the rear of the bike would be awesome.
sorry for so many questions but I'm picking up my 2013 Tenere tomorrow and plan on ordering some luggage.
Thanks

Mark

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Here is a picture of the Pelican Side Panniers mounted on my Super Tenere with the Givi Trekker top box I bought from Joe off his first Super Tenere.

The pelican cases are the same size so the LHS case does hang further out. I generally pack my heated gear in this case so it is lighter than what have packed in the RHS case.

The Pelican cases are mounted on the Yamaha using SW-Motech Quick Lock Sidecarrier mounts I bought through Twisted Throttle. They remove very easily from the bike.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the side loading Pelicans on the Wee Strom (now Della's). I have the top loading Jesse Bags on the Tenere. No comparison in ease of loading gear - I never want to own side loaders ever again. You really need to remove side loaders to properly pack them, like I do with the ST1300 bags and did with the Wee. No removal required on the Jesse's to load or unload.

Something to consider. Just my $0.02 that might help a fellow rider.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had the side loading Pelicans on the Wee Strom (now Della's). I have the top loading Jesse Bags on the Tenere. No comparison in ease of loading gear - I never want to own side loaders ever again. You really need to remove side loaders to properly pack them, like I do with the ST1300 bags and did with the Wee. No removal required on the Jesse's to load or unload.

Something to consider. Just my $0.02 that might help a fellow rider.
I have no intention of changing your mind but I'm the opposite. I compartmentalize side loaders with a low panel at the bottom of each half then use netting to secure items in each half. I never remove the bags to pack or unpack and stuff stays where I put it. I put some stuff in stuff sacks for organization.

When I had top loaders, briefly for sure - not long enough to come up with a solution, everything always fell to the bottom when I was rooting around for something else. No doubt I'd find a way to organize top loaders if I had them but now I've had three bikes with side loaders and that's my preference. It's all good.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow, Can you give us some more info on your Panniers
I've tried the pelicans - just don't care for side-loading on this bike.

I've tried the Givi Trekkers because I figured the 1/4 you can open them or have the option of side-loading would be like having top-loading and side-loading, but... just not the same.

I tried the Jesse bags but pretty much everyone I know that has them, say they leak... and they do..

I tried the Givi trekker outback cases for the top-loading but didn't like the aluminum finish as it's tough to keep looking good, they never leaked though - all the Givi stuff I've ever had has ever leaked.

Then, went with Bumot bags which are built as tough as the Jesse bags and powder coated, however the Bumots NEVER leak so they are great IMO.

They are 38" wide when installed - these are the 40L and 36L bags

P7120041-X2.jpg P7120043-X2.jpg

I reversed the exterior tie-down points to the inside and added a net so hold 1/2 my rain gear on each lid - the Jesse boxes are nice as you have storage designed into those lids but I don't really miss it that much, there's more than enough room for my trips.

P7140027-X2.jpg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Wow Joe, color matched garbage cans? You are ate up lol. ;)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've tried the pelicans - just don't care for side-loading on this bike.

I've tried the Givi Trekkers because I figured the 1/4 you can open them or have the option of side-loading would be like having top-loading and side-loading, but... just not the same.

I tried the Jesse bags but pretty much everyone I know that has them, say they leak... and they do..

I tried the Givi trekker outback cases for the top-loading but didn't like the aluminum finish as it's tough to keep looking good, they never leaked though - all the Givi stuff I've ever had has ever leaked.

Then, went with Bumot bags which are built as tough as the Jesse bags and powder coated, however the Bumots NEVER leak so they are great IMO.

They are 38" wide when installed - these are the 40L and 36L bags

P7120041-X2.jpg P7120043-X2.jpg

I reversed the exterior tie-down points to the inside and added a net so hold 1/2 my rain gear on each lid - the Jesse boxes are nice as you have storage designed into those lids but I don't really miss it that much, there's more than enough room for my trips.

P7140027-X2.jpg
Correction - the width with these bags is just a hair under 36 inches.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here I was thinking you were going to hook up the two large containers by the fence to your bike for even more storage space! But alas they're not colour matched. ;)
If I knew I wouldn't break something, I'd try and ride around the neighborhood w/video of course... but my next door neighbor is a cop..LOL

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Having just ridden 3500 miles on a rented 2012 Super Tenere(from 360 motorcycle adventures in San Diego) over a two week riding vacation in Ca and Az, here's my impression. The 2012 is very good, not great. It does have a lot of potential, and from what I read in this thread, that potential has largely been realized in the new version. The vertical twin engine is a little bland however, although it's very smooth and certainly gets the job done. I've been spoiled with V-twins, (Varadero, Tuono, my son-in-law's RC-51) and love their character! At the rental place, Philipp invited me to go for a little blast on a KTM 1190. Holy balls of fire!!! This is a tool with character! If I were in the market for a replacement for my Varadero, the KTM absolutely would be it. There you go, now you know....

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
Doing some research here and came across this great thread that Mellow started in May of 2014. Any updates on the bike Mellow or from anyone else who owns one?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Doing some research here and came across this great thread that Mellow started in May of 2014. Any updates on the bike Mellow or from anyone else who owns one?
I still have the bike. At the moment if I was to look for a replacement, it would be another Super Tenere.. so, I'm still happy with it.

Top Bottom